Bike died on Montana I-94.

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Lost power. Coasted to stop. Have battery power for lights and console. No starter power. Any ideas?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
619 861 7516


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
bflint does the fuel pump run when the stop/run switch is cycled with ignition key on?
which lights light up?
Retsel all good points but sidestand switch does not prevent starting, neutral light/sw does, as does the stop switch

fuel pump is a very good indicator for fault finding, it means the computer, fuel cutoff relay, fuel pump, bank angle switch and fuel pump fuse are ok.

to test the fuel cutoff relay you can swap the relays under the seat, they are the same.

the clutch handle switch overrides the neutral switch when pulledin enabling the rider to start the engine in gear.

the sidestand switch only prevents the rider from riding away with the sidestand down.
 
Thread starter
Fixed!!!!!!!
Not sure what problem was but replaced start system 10 amp fuse and reseated others. Need to get off side of interstate now. Thanks!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
COOL but why did the fuse operate mid-stream?

Thanks for the feedback and good riding.
 
Thread starter
At rest stop. You folks might have to revoke my forum membership. Noticed big red toggle under right mirror. Pretty sure I hit that while adjusting my position while driving. Did not think about that until just now. Good bar story and laughs for you all. Had to unload all luggage to get to fuses. Thankful to all the Montana drivers who just kept going
f44c57945fb2fc2e77d2fd5e896109cb.png
9927963974c5538ceae5f7267b425220.png
d625e99a725209d2cafcff286261be5c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Glad it was something simple. I did that on the FJR one time, but figured out what I did pretty quick. Toggled the red button (which weirdly on a Yamaha is also the starter switch) and it fired right up. No issues since.
 
Well i hope you did not throw the "broken" fuse away.
Did a quick search on the web for fuses with buildt-in led indicators but came up empty ( Csory are you listening? )

So i panicked and realized i had no way to test fuses or anything electrical on the roadside...............

But i did have an unused little "electron counter", so i soldered a little probe on one side and a blue negative lead on the ground side, taped it up and;



It indicates everything between 4,5 and 24 volts, i'm ready now, so two good things happened today:excited:
 
Glad to hear you're back on your way. I had the same thing happen on a road trip, though mine turned out to be a malfunctioning kill switch.

For future reference, when the kill switch is preventing a start, you'll get two indications that it is your problem.

1. No fuel pump sound when you turn the key on.

2. The check engine light will not illuminate (normally comes on for a few seconds when ignition is turned on).

Ride on!
 
I had a similar issue when my 2013 was new. My glove brushed against the kill switch, not enough to move it to the "off" position, and the motor quit. Everything looked okay but bike would not start. I set the kill switch to off and then back to run, motor started. I was able to repeat this later at home by merely touching the switch just enough to move it away from "on" momentarily.
 
Once had a broken kill switch wire that would make and break under specific circumstances. Needless to say, with ignition going out and in ("back in" because at freeway speed the engine would be instantly bump started), I would sometimes get some interesting engine backfire.
 
Don't feel bad, Bflint. I did it one day. I was reaching across to set the throttle lock and flipped the kill switch off. I had no idea what had happened until after I'd coasted to a stop beside the road and given it some thought. Glad all's OK.
 
Yep... was trying to adjust the strap on my right glove with my left hand. Was leading a group of 5 riders at the time...this was only like a month ago, btw. To paraphrase: Switch Happens.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Don't feel bad, Bflint. I did it one day. I was reaching across to set the throttle lock and flipped the kill switch off. I had no idea what had happened until after I'd coasted to a stop beside the road and given it some thought. Glad all's OK.
The same exact thing happened to me on I95 on 4th of July weekend while riding the ST. Sitting on the shoulder of I95 with heavy holiday traffic going by on a Sunday while I wondered what happened is not fun!

Everything is closed, what am I going to do. Calmed down, reset the kill switch and continued on. AND DID IT AGAIN an hour later. Ha Ha, can’t fool me. Reset it again while rolling and continued on. I have a cruise control on it now. No putzing with the throttle lock :)
 
Lol! Done that several times on various bikes AND atvs. No foul on your part. Keep cruising. Was on I-94 on 4th of July. There’s some pretty stretches on that road along the Clarks Fork west of Missoula.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Lol! Done that several times on various bikes AND atvs. No foul on your part. Keep cruising. Was on I-94 on 4th of July. There’s some pretty stretches on that road along the Clarks Fork west of Missoula.

Clark’s Fork is beautiful.... wish I was on a fishing trip instead of a motorcycle tour ... at least for a little while
5e7dc292aa48253a73d80845dcff423f.png
3f944c14ec21bfbe785dd92cd4c13e0f.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I trailered my CB to Alaska this July. When I went to start it up as I took it off the trailer I had a no start. I checked the kill switch, flicked it, and she fired right up. Only momentary bumage.
 
Back
Top