GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
Sadly, one effective approach:PowerDubs_imp said:Painting over chrome might not adhere well? No idea- never tried it...but seems like it might not.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Sadly, one effective approach:PowerDubs_imp said:Painting over chrome might not adhere well? No idea- never tried it...but seems like it might not.
I got lazy Dave and used rattle cans, even though I've got professional automotive paint equipment and and truthfully, I may need to re-do it right. I did find some really good aerosol color matches to the accent stripes though. I'll detail the exact products tomorrow.Dave_imp said:The rear cowl was a Honda OEM option for a VFR800 (used off EBAY). The two sides and rear of the cowl had to be deepened a couple of inches with fiber glass to cover the CB1100 seat, and the profile of the front had to be altered to fit the also fit the contour of the CB seat....a little filler and paint to finish.
You did a beautiful job on that rear cowl - very professional looking. Actually, you did a beautiful job on the entire bike. Did you use a rattle can? What brand?
I got lazy Dave and used rattle cans, even though I've got professional automotive paint equipment and and truthfully, I may need to re-do it right. I did find some really good aerosol color matches to the accent stripes though. I'll detail the exact products tomorrow.Dave_imp said:The rear cowl was a Honda OEM option for a VFR800 (used off EBAY). The two sides and rear of the cowl had to be deepened a couple of inches with fiber glass to cover the CB1100 seat, and the profile of the front had to be altered to fit the also fit the contour of the CB seat....a little filler and paint to finish.
You did a beautiful job on that rear cowl - very professional looking. Actually, you did a beautiful job on the entire bike. Did you use a rattle can? What brand?
Sadly, one effective approach:GoldOxide_imp said:Sadly, one effective approach:PowerDubs_imp said:Painting over chrome might not adhere well? No idea- never tried it...but seems like it might not.
I got lazy Dave and used rattle cans, even though I've got professional automotive paint equipment and and truthfully, I may need to re-do it right. I did find some really good aerosol color matches to the accent stripes though. I'll detail the exact products tomorrow.nsrrider_imp said:I got lazy Dave and used rattle cans, even though I've got professional automotive paint equipment and and truthfully, I may need to re-do it right. I did find some really good aerosol color matches to the accent stripes though. I'll detail the exact products tomorrow.Dave_imp said:The rear cowl was a Honda OEM option for a VFR800 (used off EBAY). The two sides and rear of the cowl had to be deepened a couple of inches with fiber glass to cover the CB1100 seat, and the profile of the front had to be altered to fit the also fit the contour of the CB seat....a little filler and paint to finish.
You did a beautiful job on that rear cowl - very professional looking. Actually, you did a beautiful job on the entire bike. Did you use a rattle can? What brand?
I got lazy Dave and used rattle cans, even though I've got professional automotive paint equipment and and truthfully, I may need to re-do it right. I did find some really good aerosol color matches to the accent stripes though. I'll detail the exact products tomorrow.Dave_imp said:The rear cowl was a Honda OEM option for a VFR800 (used off EBAY). The two sides and rear of the cowl had to be deepened a couple of inches with fiber glass to cover the CB1100 seat, and the profile of the front had to be altered to fit the also fit the contour of the CB seat....a little filler and paint to finish.
You did a beautiful job on that rear cowl - very professional looking. Actually, you did a beautiful job on the entire bike. Did you use a rattle can? What brand?
Sadly, one effective approach:GoldOxide_imp said:Sadly, one effective approach:PowerDubs_imp said:Painting over chrome might not adhere well? No idea- never tried it...but seems like it might not.
For sure painting over chrome is a problem. Getting some mechanical adhesion by sanding is a must.....and a self-etching primer. Ideally one should have it chemically stripped before painting.
I got lazy Dave and used rattle cans, even though I've got professional automotive paint equipment and and truthfully, I may need to re-do it right. I did find some really good aerosol color matches to the accent stripes though. I'll detail the exact products tomorrow.Dave_imp said:The rear cowl was a Honda OEM option for a VFR800 (used off EBAY). The two sides and rear of the cowl had to be deepened a couple of inches with fiber glass to cover the CB1100 seat, and the profile of the front had to be altered to fit the also fit the contour of the CB seat....a little filler and paint to finish.
You did a beautiful job on that rear cowl - very professional looking. Actually, you did a beautiful job on the entire bike. Did you use a rattle can? What brand?
Sadly, one effective approach:GoldOxide_imp said:Sadly, one effective approach:PowerDubs_imp said:Painting over chrome might not adhere well? No idea- never tried it...but seems like it might not.
hmmmm, I'm skeptical of the advice you got.....I'm no pro but I've done alot of painting , cars and motorcycles... and letting a primer coat cure is a good idea, so long as it is decontaminated properly before shooting a base coat......JMHODave_imp said:Thank you nsrrider. I am no where near as good of a painter as you (I just repainted my entire 2002 VFR800), and I had some issues. I had to make a phone call to the manufacturer to ask why the top coat was bubbling over the same manufacturer's primer coat, and was informed that the top coat MUST be applied within a very short time after the primer dries (I had waited two days). I've painted multiple motorcycles over the years, and always thought that waiting for the primer to dry thoroughly (I usually waited at least a full day, or two) was a good idea. This used to work for me, but evidently it doesn't work anymore.
correctnsrrider_imp said:correctmisterprofessionality_imp said:Ok...Considering you didn't mention it at all im gonna assume the wheels are just painted gold and not mag wheels....right?
another shot

PowerDubs_imp said:nsrrider_imp said:All good points.....the Rizoma signals are there.....I might remove the headlight brackets and either paint or powder coat them satin black.....the muffler...I hate to go smaller as that typically means louder....but I'm open to something different too. And really good point: the front fender needs to be black!PowerDubs_imp said:I don't like my stock tank- but on your bike- with your tail - it works great!!
My only big thoughts- to me- your muffler is too big- and those elongated brackets moving the headlight forward gotta go!!
Little thoughts- black front fender...and where are the blinkers?
Prineville....pdedse_imp said:Lookin' Good!!! Where at in Central OR?
No sub-frame mods.....I just removed (cut off) the back half of the rear fender and tail light assembly.tod.branko_imp said:I also like it in general, curious to know what kind of mod you did to the subframe, maybe you could elaborate on that a little, and thank you for giving me a chance to see what wheels in gold look like because I was thinking about doing it. The front od a bit odd though, I feel like the headlight sits a bit high, reminds me of the RE Himalayan like that. Could be just an optical illusion idk
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233939981145?hash=item3677e8d359:g:VAQAAOSwvtxgWXAL&LH_ItemCondition=4
just some aluminum Chinese EBAY items. Inexpensive but decent quality. They are too small (IMO) and offer a limited rear view compared to OEM.....but of course they look a helluva lot better. For function I give them a "C".Nachodaddy_imp said:What mirrors are you using?
just some aluminum Chinese EBAY items. Inexpensive but decent quality. They are too small (IMO) and offer a limited rear view compared to OEM.....but of course they look a helluva lot better. For function I give them a "C".nsrrider_imp said:just some aluminum Chinese EBAY items. Inexpensive but decent quality. They are too small (IMO) and offer a limited rear view compared to OEM.....but of course they look a helluva lot better. For function I give them a "C".Nachodaddy_imp said:What mirrors are you using?
They do look good. Too bad about their limitations. Oh well, no one will be catching up to you anyway!just some aluminum Chinese EBAY items. Inexpensive but decent quality. They are too small (IMO) and offer a limited rear view compared to OEM.....but of course they look a helluva lot better. For function I give them a "C".Nachodaddy_imp said:just some aluminum Chinese EBAY items. Inexpensive but decent quality. They are too small (IMO) and offer a limited rear view compared to OEM.....but of course they look a helluva lot better. For function I give them a "C".nsrrider_imp said:just some aluminum Chinese EBAY items. Inexpensive but decent quality. They are too small (IMO) and offer a limited rear view compared to OEM.....but of course they look a helluva lot better. For function I give them a "C".Nachodaddy_imp said:What mirrors are you using?
They do look good. Too bad about their limitations. Oh well, no one will be catching up to you anyway!
They do look good. Too bad about their limitations. Oh well, no one will be catching up to you anyway! "Oh well, no one will be catching up to you anyway!".....so we've ridden together? 
They do look good. Too bad about their limitations. Oh well, no one will be catching up to you anyway!
:beerchug: Good one! I can't imagine many staying up with that one.
No, it is not eager to wheelie at all, it's not impossible of course but one really has to put in the work, it's much more likely to spin the rear tire and do a rolling burnout.nsrrider_imp said:It's kinda' weird. I think this is the first bike that I've ever owned in over 50 years (and it is number 86) that I don't feel compelled to ride aggressively on. Maybe at 67 I'm getting old but, I still ride the heck out of my 1290 Superduke and my Husky 300. With the big CB (big as in both displacement and portly nature) I just find myself content to cruise along and enjoy the silky, relaxed nature of the thing. And don't get me wrong, it's pretty capable I reckon of going fast if needed....the motor is a gem....I just haven't had that itch with it. Funny thing, today I got to wondering if the fat girl would do a wheelie.....I wound it up a bit while rolling in 1st gear and let the clutch go--not sure what to expect. I actually laughed at the result. The bike lurched forward, seemed to voice its objection to my request and I don't think the front wheel came off the pavement. It left me a bit embarrassed that I asked her for it. I suspect that if the two of us of really got determined we could get the thing to stand up but, I won't ever go there with this bike. It deserves better than that. Such a sweet and elemental motorcycle.
No, it is not eager to wheelie at all, it's not impossible of course but one really has to put in the work, it's much more likely to spin the rear tire and do a rolling burnout.tod.branko_imp said:No, it is not eager to wheelie at all, it's not impossible of course but one really has to put in the work, it's much more likely to spin the rear tire and do a rolling burnout.nsrrider_imp said:It's kinda' weird. I think this is the first bike that I've ever owned in over 50 years (and it is number 86) that I don't feel compelled to ride aggressively on. Maybe at 67 I'm getting old but, I still ride the heck out of my 1290 Superduke and my Husky 300. With the big CB (big as in both displacement and portly nature) I just find myself content to cruise along and enjoy the silky, relaxed nature of the thing. And don't get me wrong, it's pretty capable I reckon of going fast if needed....the motor is a gem....I just haven't had that itch with it. Funny thing, today I got to wondering if the fat girl would do a wheelie.....I wound it up a bit while rolling in 1st gear and let the clutch go--not sure what to expect. I actually laughed at the result. The bike lurched forward, seemed to voice its objection to my request and I don't think the front wheel came off the pavement. It left me a bit embarrassed that I asked her for it. I suspect that if the two of us of really got determined we could get the thing to stand up but, I won't ever go there with this bike. It deserves better than that. Such a sweet and elemental motorcycle.
'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed