Big Sur!

PowderToastMan_imp

Been there
Thread starter
With the wife out of town for the week, I decided to take a day off and go for a little ride.

I was saving the potential CB11 group ride to Big Sur for when Randy is healed up well enough to go for a long ride, but I figured there wasn't a reason not to go down and scout it out solo on a weekday :thumbsup:

First up we have the famous Bixby Bridge:
09b069650857ab2d98b894de26481b8b.jpg


It's a little hard to get a good shot of the bike in front of the bridge...
72fc3d1f050bd0cda68176d85ad4eb88.jpg


If you look closely, you can see where the roadway is along this steep hillside:
a02f0c2e35a041da5b4588444b8fe7fc.jpg


Here's my small album of other pictures if anyone is interested to see a little more:
I'm not usually big on taking pictures but I knew I would have to take a few on this one, even if it's just with a crappy cell phone camera!

The ride report:
My morning started out with about 90 miles on the freeway to get to Carmel.. this went by fairly quickly and was largely uneventful as I started a little late to avoid traffic, and was really going in the opposite direction of the morning commute traffic that comes in from Morgan Hill, Gilroy or Hollister to San Jose.
After that I stopped for a quick fill up and stretcher, and then wasted no time in getting back on the road.

This time around I didn't take any side trips, just straight down Highway 1 for a while and straight back.
This area definitely lives up to its reputation. Gentle sweeping curves, fantastic views of the oceans and cliffs and hillsides, a little bit of forest. This has to be the most relaxing stretch of road I've ever been on. I didn't find the cliffs or bridges to be intimidating or scary at all, since there is sufficient separation between the road and the steep drop offs, and there are good solid fences and guard rails in place otherwise.

From the weather report my phone gave me (90 deg F high) I thought it was going to be hot, but the sea breeze kept me very comfortable for the whole afternoon until I got back inland. Lots of little cafes and restaurants to stop for lunch, lots of campgrounds, lots of vista points, and cool old bridges and other various structures like this one:
Big Sur rock shed a dramatic covering for Highway 1
That one definitely caught my attention... didn't think it would be something new-ish and built by CalTrans, I thought it would be something more historic!

I got a few miles past that little rock shed tunnel thing before deciding to turn around and head back up.. about 60 miles south from Carmel.
Coming back the other way had its own flavor.. there were a few places where I had thought on the way down, "Hm, do they really need another vista point here?" only to come back and see it from the other direction and go, "Oh that's what there was to look at here!"

The twists and turns were not as exciting as the ones that we found on our group ride to Calistoga/Berryessa/Napa on Sunday, but the views are incredibly hard to beat. Gotta be something high in the mountains to top this.

All in all a very satisfying day. The little cherry on top was getting back to the San Jose area and looking over to my left to see a huge mess of gridlock on 101 southbound while trucking along northbound at full speed with very light traffic and no hiccups.

I only wish that I had more time to go a bit further south. Maybe it would have been good to camp out or spend a night in San Luis Obispo before coming back. Or maybe some day I'll just take Highway 1 all the way down to L.A. and make it a multi-day affair.
 
Nice. I definitely need to bring the new camera along when I go.
 
Great report and photos PTM. Looks like a great ride along that coast and road I to Big Sur looks truly amazing on Google Maps.
 
If you come to LA take 166 to 33. 33 is an incredible road. Or the 58. Or the 25. Lots if good roads on the way if you get off the 101.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
If you come to LA take 166 to 33. 33 is an incredible road. Or the 58. Or the 25. Lots if good roads on the way if you get off the 101.
That looks like quite a ride— Google Maps
 
Beautiful picture of the coast. Don't understand why you couldn't get a better bridge shot. Mr. Ferret just parks it in the middle of the road and takes the pics!

:D:D:D
 
I rode 2700 miles to see that road back in June. I think it's awesome. I should have taken another day, turned around at Santa Cruz and ridden it the other direction to see the the other views available apparently.

Nice report PTM
 
Thanks for the report and pictures. When I was about 13, my parents took us on a family vacation which included a drive up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco. The stretch of road you described so well is the part of that trip that lingers in my memory. I need, not want, to ride it on my CB1100. Thanks again.
 
Nice area, would be great to do on the CB!
Did it in car a few years ago while on vacation, it was very foggy and cool in the summer.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
If you come to LA take 166 to 33. 33 is an incredible road. Or the 58. Or the 25. Lots if good roads on the way if you get off the 101.
That looks like quite a ride— Google Maps
That looks like quite a ride— Google Maps
Yeah, looks like the best choice after getting past SLO.. Thanks kevbroce for the good tip!
That looks like quite a ride— Google Maps
Yeah, looks like the best choice after getting past SLO.. Thanks kevbroce for the good tip!
You're up in the Bay Area I assume? This was basically my last ride from the Bay to La, it was something special. Would be hard to fit Big Sur into the mix with all of it's traffic. I was booking it on this trip and it still took most of the daylight hours.

Google Maps
 
Thread starter
Yup, I am in the Bay Area.
I'm a bit of a mellower rider so I figure the scenic way to LA would be a two day deal.
1 down to SLO in one day and 33 the next day would be a more relaxed way to go about it.

I suppose I could make the I-5 or even all 101 routes in one day with daylight to spare if it's not too windy :)
 
101 isn't bad, I've done it a few times, worlds better than I-5 or 99. But there are some really nice routes if you take the extra time, just pay attention where you fill up for gas, 166 to 33 will be 150 miles. There's a couple gas station on the way, but not many. HW 58 might not have any, same with 25. SLO and Morro Bay would put you right about halfway between LA and the Bay Area. If you come all the way to LA there's lots of nice ride in the Malibu Canyons.
 
Thanks for the report and pictures. My wife and I spent a week up in San Francisco and Napa and drove a convertible down the 1. The trip through Big Sur was spectacular and was the inspiration to get my tush out of the car and buy the CB1100.
 
Back
Top