Bias Ply vs Radial

bigsheep_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hello,

Looking for a little info. With our limited options for tires I was just wondering if someone could explain the difference and how it affects our bikes? I'm leaning towards sticking with Radials, but what if any would be the consequences of going Bias-Ply on the CB?

The Avon Roadrider is available in our stock sizes in Canada and less expensive than our other options.
 
I have used Bias-Ply before. the tyre is quite heavy, last longer compare to my current T30. But performance and wet grip wise T30 still better.
 
Thread starter
zirconxi_imp said:
I have used Bias-Ply before. the tyre is quite heavy, last longer compare to my current T30. But performance and wet grip wise T30 still better.
T30 discontinued right or is it only available in 160/60?
 
bigsheep_imp said:
zirconxi_imp said:
I have used Bias-Ply before. the tyre is quite heavy, last longer compare to my current T30. But performance and wet grip wise T30 still better.
T30 discontinued right or is it only available in 160/60?
T30 discontinued right or is it only available in 160/60?
Bridgestone T30 had been replaced by T31. I am going to change mine to T31 this month end. Personally i felt radial will be better in absorbing corner bumps. Bias-Ply will bump around quite often compare to Radial and can't take corner aggressively... And BiasPly make my CB felt like riding a Harley.
 
I've read that some prefer bias ply (BP) for spirited use (e.g. racing), but radials better support the weight of touring. For regular street use, I cannot tell the difference. I do know that statistically for me, my BP tires seems to take on screws and nails significantly more often than radial. However, maybe that was an unusual string of poor riding luck.
 
I use bias ply with tubes on my modern Triumph Bonneville and radials on the Honda's with cast wheels.
Like GO, for regular street riding - and for me cruising along on secondary coastal highways - I can't tell any difference.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've read that some prefer bias ply (BP) for spirited use (e.g. racing), but radials better support the weight of touring. For regular street use, I cannot tell the difference. I do know that statistically for me, my BP tires seems to take on screws and nails significantly more often than radial. However, maybe that was an unusual string of poor riding luck.
I would nail that down as being screwed.
 
Houtman_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've read that some prefer bias ply (BP) for spirited use (e.g. racing), but radials better support the weight of touring. For regular street use, I cannot tell the difference. I do know that statistically for me, my BP tires seems to take on screws and nails significantly more often than radial. However, maybe that was an unusual string of poor riding luck.
I would nail that down as being screwed.
I would nail that down as being screwed.
Ha, ha ... you nailed it!
 
What Rocky said. I've got Avon 26s on my spoke Bonneville, and I can't say that they're any better or worse or different, for that matter, than the radials on my CB.
 
m in sc_imp said:
i run avon am26's on my 99 concours, love em. they are very grippy, will prob go the same way on the cb when the time comes.

this lays out the differences pretty well.

Why do some motorcycles still wear bias-ply tires? - RevZilla
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've read that some prefer bias ply (BP) for spirited use (e.g. racing), but radials better support the weight of touring. For regular street use, I cannot tell the difference. I do know that statistically for me, my BP tires seems to take on screws and nails significantly more often than radial. However, maybe that was an unusual string of poor riding luck.
There’s a dispute here! Revzilla says the opposite, GO.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
bigsheep_imp said:
zirconxi_imp said:
I have used Bias-Ply before. the tyre is quite heavy, last longer compare to my current T30. But performance and wet grip wise T30 still better.
T30 discontinued right or is it only available in 160/60?
T30 discontinued right or is it only available in 160/60?
Bridgestone T30 had been replaced by T31. I am going to change mine to T31 this month end. Personally i felt radial will be better in absorbing corner bumps. Bias-Ply will bump around quite often compare to Radial and can't take corner aggressively... And BiasPly make my CB felt like riding a Harley.
T30 discontinued right or is it only available in 160/60?
Bridgestone T30 had been replaced by T31. I am going to change mine to T31 this month end. Personally i felt radial will be better in absorbing corner bumps. Bias-Ply will bump around quite often compare to Radial and can't take corner aggressively... And BiasPly make my CB felt like riding a Harley.
I have the Avon's on both my Bonnie and CB. They grip well, are predictable (for me anyway), and handle aggressive cornering very well. Highly recommended.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
i run avon am26's on my 99 concours, love em. they are very grippy, will prob go the same way on the cb when the time comes.

this lays out the differences pretty well.

Why do some motorcycles still wear bias-ply tires? - RevZilla
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've read that some prefer bias ply (BP) for spirited use (e.g. racing), but radials better support the weight of touring. For regular street use, I cannot tell the difference. I do know that statistically for me, my BP tires seems to take on screws and nails significantly more often than radial. However, maybe that was an unusual string of poor riding luck.
There’s a dispute here! Revzilla says the opposite, GO.
GoldOxide_imp said:
I've read that some prefer bias ply (BP) for spirited use (e.g. racing), but radials better support the weight of touring. For regular street use, I cannot tell the difference. I do know that statistically for me, my BP tires seems to take on screws and nails significantly more often than radial. However, maybe that was an unusual string of poor riding luck.
There’s a dispute here! Revzilla says the opposite, GO.
Sure. I personally can't confirm either way.
 
Nor can I. Nor would I be likely to know the difference if I rode them both.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Nor can I. Nor would I be likely to know the difference if I rode them both.
Probably what is funny is that if someone told me with reason that "this" was better than "that", and then I rode them both, I would not detect a meaningful difference.

- - -

However, I cannot recall ever getting a flat with radials. :)
 
Back
Top