Best $7.50 I have spent on this bike yet!

silascopathic_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So I was at Austin Bolt Co. yesterday and picked up 28 black allen bolts for my left and right crank case covers.

I love the contrast of the black. and it will be so easy to remove these now!!!


I recommend doing this.

oh yea , pics!!


[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/503783A4-0F52-4F2F-985F-954EF5F0B7BF-1241-000000B315B8F0FB_zps631dc3fb.jpg.html]
[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/E0304D06-718B-4F2F-9F40-75F3E4512423-1241-000000B31FB593F6_zpsee2dc81e.jpg.html]
 
silascopathic_imp said:
So I was at Austin Bolt Co. yesterday and picked up 28 black allen bolts for my left and right crank case covers.

I love the contrast of the black. and it will be so easy to remove these now!!!


I recommend doing this.

oh yea , pics!!


[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/503783A4-0F52-4F2F-985F-954EF5F0B7BF-1241-000000B315B8F0FB_zps631dc3fb.jpg.html]
[url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/SIGFREAK239/media/E0304D06-718B-4F2F-9F40-75F3E4512423-1241-000000B31FB593F6_zpsee2dc81e.jpg.html]

Well I LIKE it! :thumbsup:
 
Looks great! and that's a great price. I think we charged more than that for a kit 40 years ago.
 
Thread starter
Yes seriously.

The standard bolt sizes for the CB are

25 - 6x28 mm
3 - 6x60 mm

The shop only had increments of 5 mm so I ended up with 25 6x25 and 3 6x55 (they were out of 60mm)

the bolts work perfect, still lots of thread to catch the crank case. I am not even concerned at all. If anyone wants a set, I can buy them for you. Let's say $15 shipped (gotta account for gas and packaging) but that is still a very good price. Let me know. The shop is only open m-f until 5pm CST (crappy hours)
 
Thread starter
fairnuf, I have removed it twice and had no issues. I use Honda Bond to re seal the cover. I would have never done this but I had to replace the left crank case cover due to my bike falling.
 
The usual black oxide and phosphate coatings on fasteners are not very corrosion resistant. A epoxy type would be good but I don't know if that's available. Do you know what finish is on them? You might get some rust after a while.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
sorry, not touching those bolts on my crankcase, no problem, no leak, not touching, keeping factory seal!
My feelings as well. I have replaced bolts on multiple bikes over the years and usually found it wasn't worth the trouble. They look good and are a fun change at first, but often they eventually rust. If you get chrome or stainless, many times you need to tap your cases because they are slightly oversized, otherwise you run the risk of stripping the case threads-if not on the way in then on the way out later (actually I would normally run a die over the bolts as opposed to tapping the cases). There is also a risk of having them seize in the case because of hardness differences in the materials and wrong torque specs and then you have bigger problems. Then there is the risk of leaks. I have had ALL of these things happen at one time or another.

At this point I never change case bolts unless I need too...
 
Thread starter
yea, i needed to. one snapped and one was so stuck in there from the fall that it needed to be replaced. like i said before, had i not needed to replace the left side i wouldn't have done it.

I hear you all and have heard these stories a bunch.


the most important thing, is that I love it :D
 
They look awesome and heck you live in Tejas its not like you need to worry about rain. I had a black powder coated clutch cover and allen bolts on my Triumph and it really set the bike off.
 
Thread starter
Thanks man! Yea, between the garage i keep it in and the weather here, i doubt i will see rust on this bike ever (as long as i keep it clean!)
 
silascopathic_imp said:
yea, i needed to. one snapped and one was so stuck in there from the fall that it needed to be replaced. like i said before, had i not needed to replace the left side i wouldn't have done it.

I hear you all and have heard these stories a bunch.


the most important thing, is that I love it :D
It does look really good! :beerchug:
 
Back
Top