Bent front fork?

Coronado_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hello everyone,

Last year I happen to crash my 2014. :(

I rode the bike home after the crash and fixed the minor details, but noticed that my bikes front forks, handle bar, and wheel are somewhat out of alignment. Has anyone successfully aligned them back into place? I did straighten the forks out a bit with the help of some online research, but it isn't perfect. My front tire is still at an angle.

Will post images when I get home!

Thanks!
 
A concern is that it might be a number of things, or a combination of things. Bent fork tubes. Bent upper or lower triple clamps or a bent steering stem. The frame neck might be bent.
 
First thing I’d do is loosen all the clamping bolts, axle and all and see if everything falls back into place. This worked for me back in the day.

If that doesn’t work I personally would let a dealer look at it.
 
I agree with the Lord ... disassemble the front end.
With everything off, loosely reinsert the forks into the triple clamps and try to rotate each stanchion and see if it rotates freely and doesn't wobble the lowers, i.e. confirming the stanchion is not badly bent. Ensuring the forks are now in line and set to the desired depth, torque the triple clamp bolts. Fit the front wheel but only lightly tighten the axle. Bounce the front suspension to help it find a 'comfortable' position, then tighten the pinch bolts and axle and brakes.
Good luck, hopefully all is well with your forks.
 
You must have thought about the insurance route?
 
Thread starter
I've taken some of this advice from browsing around. I want to say that I continued to ride the bike for the rest of last season with a slight feeling of misalignment, but it was still the CB I know. I've worked out some of the kinks when installing a fresh windscreen this week. I think the best bet might be to either take it to a bike mechanic or disassemble the front end as others have mentioned. I think it is straighter after adjusting this past week, but haven't ridden yet this season except for the past weekend. Sadly, I only pay for the bare minimum insurance.
 
Coronado_imp said:
I've taken some of this advice from browsing around. I want to say that I continued to ride the bike for the rest of last season with a slight feeling of misalignment, but it was still the CB I know. I've worked out some of the kinks when installing a fresh windscreen this week. I think the best bet might be to either take it to a bike mechanic or disassemble the front end as others have mentioned. I think it is straighter after adjusting this past week, but haven't ridden yet this season except for the past weekend. Sadly, I only pay for the bare minimum insurance.
Who knows if you had more than the minimum coverage anyway. Typically there are deductibles that might just be equal or more than they repairs or adjustments, so you would be out-of-pocket anyway (unless, of course, one had $0 deductible).
 
You could use a spirit level to check for parallel legs, not by using the bubble but the broad straight edge of the tool.
A decent quality one will give accurate results when held against the fork legs, if it tips slightly when held against one leg and then the other they are out of parallel.
This could give you a way to assess the amount and direction if you have not done so already.

In addition to this you could try to put shims under the clamps, either in the lower or upper half of the clamps, alu can makes a good size shim, use your favorite brand and shape with scissors as required.

Hope that helps.
 
As Max describes above, using a spirit or carpenter's level is a great tool to tell if forks are bent. They are a very straight and rigid I-beam. When held across the fork tubes, on straight forks, they should contact at 4 points. There should be no rattling or rocking.

If there is less than a credit card's gap at any point, the forks may just "tweaked", and possibly correctible without removal. I've straightened many "tweaked" front ends just by holding the front wheel against a post, and giving the handlebars a solid shove.

If the level contacts solidly, the forks are either most likely straight, or pushed back evenly from a straight-on impact. If so, tighten all the axle and clamp bolts, and the triple clamp bolts. Put the bike on the centerstand, have a helper put weight on the back seat (or put a jack under the front of the engine/exhaust to take some weight off the front end).

Loosen the pinch bolts of the triple clamps ON ONE SIDE ONLY. Then turn the fork tube through one rotation by hand or with a wrench on the top nut. If it does not bind, it is straight (or very, very close). Tighten the pinch bolts and try the process on the other side.

GoldOxide_imp said:
Risking a bent front fork? ...


That RamCam is a hoot!!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
See under the heading “The sort of technical bit” in this post, http://www.cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11837
Looks like I will have to remove my handlebar to get to the steering stem nut, but I do know the bars are bent and should be replaced anyways.

pekingduck_imp said:
As Max describes above, using a spirit or carpenter's level is a great tool to tell if forks are bent. They are a very straight and rigid I-beam. When held across the fork tubes, on straight forks, they should contact at 4 points. There should be no rattling or rocking.

If there is less than a credit card's gap at any point, the forks may just "tweaked", and possibly correctible without removal. I've straightened many "tweaked" front ends just by holding the front wheel against a post, and giving the handlebars a solid shove.

If the level contacts solidly, the forks are either most likely straight, or pushed back evenly from a straight-on impact. If so, tighten all the axle and clamp bolts, and the triple clamp bolts. Put the bike on the centerstand, have a helper put weight on the back seat (or put a jack under the front of the engine/exhaust to take some weight off the front end).

Loosen the pinch bolts of the triple clamps ON ONE SIDE ONLY. Then turn the fork tube through one rotation by hand or with a wrench on the top nut. If it does not bind, it is straight (or very, very close). Tighten the pinch bolts and try the process on the other side.

GoldOxide_imp said:
Risking a bent front fork? ...


That RamCam is a hoot!!
I've used a level and all contact points are good, so maybe they are just out of rotation after further thought. I've also loosened and shoved the forks which seemed to help the alignment slightly.

Here are some dark photos. * I really need some LED Garage lights *

5bc3bdfb58d17b5778e69b49870cdf81.jpg
1f6a2bbc5e2a131e0b8f81727771f61d.jpg


The 2nd photo really shows how misaligned the front is. The wheel is at an angle compared to the rest of the front end. Lights & handlebar and the other things that stand out to me looking at it.

I really do appreciate all the insight from this forum. Glad to be part of the community for this modern classic. First motorcycle crash, As others have said, its not a matter of if you crash, but when.
 
Really hard to tell anything from the pics, but say, a set of wire wheels would probably fix it all. In fact there's a set for sale on the Forum.....

Seriously, I would replace the handlebars first, just to have a baseline. Without straight bars, everything will seem a bit wonky.

Does it go straight down the road, or does it pull to one side or the other?
 
Thread starter
She rides straight, I haven't noticed any real pull.

It is hard to tell what is actually out of alignment since everything just looks off when I look at the bike.

Any recommendations for handlebars? Have been browsing the forum for answers to this question, but it is personal preference it would seem.
 
EVERYTHING is a personal preference. If it were mine, my preference would be just to go back with stock replacement pieces
 
Coronado_imp said:
Hello everyone,

Last year I happen to crash my 2014. :(

I rode the bike home after the crash and fixed the minor details, but noticed that my bikes front forks, handle bar, and wheel are somewhat out of alignment. Has anyone successfully aligned them back into place? I did straighten the forks out a bit with the help of some online research, but it isn't perfect. My front tire is still at an angle.

Will post images when I get home!

Thanks!

If you need a set of 2014 OEM fork legs, message me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top