Bay Area: Alice's Restaurant (Woodside, CA)

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
I had a difficult week and needed some quality time on the CB1100EX. The weather was perfect:

n4UFJQD.jpeg


I decided to drive across the San Francisco Peninsula and visit Alice's Restaurant, a pub famous for a twisty road leading to it, redwoods, motorcycles, classic cars, tasty food, good music, and a relaxed vibe.

Check Out Alice's Restaurant

I completed my pre-ride check. The motorcycle was ready. I spent a little extra time focusing on tires and brakes. The road ahead had an interesting combination of highways, rural roads, high winds, and the San-Meteo Bridge, the longest fixed link bridge in California. It is a 50 mile drive (one way) from my California home. The bridge is beautiful:

HULtIyd.jpeg


uWhSjIp.jpeg


NahGp9t.jpeg


TX78rnS.png


Y5UYssL.jpeg


I crossed the Peninsula without incident even with winds gusting over 25 MPH. I was delighted to have the weight of the CB1100EX. :)

With a gentle turn I left the highway behind and entered into an old growth forrest of redwoods. The road leading to Alice's Restaurant is two lanes with only a few turnouts. I stopped along the way to take a few pictures. It was breathtakingly serene:

jxKthAb.jpeg


tq5oAKX.jpeg


2wHbYUK.jpeg


wbQJMdd.jpeg


Alice's Restaurant has been operating since the 1940s, a rarity in the United States. Because of its relatively remote location, it has become a destination for cyclists, motorcyclists, environmentalists, hippies, and  music lovers. It is impossible to just happen upon Alice's Restaurant--you have to make the effort. When I arrived, it made an incredible first impression:

CtXlvvF.jpeg


There was a lot of people there, but the operations was clearly dialed in. There was seating inside and outside. The servers were organized, cheerful, relaxed, and remarkably fast. They graciously modified an offering for me to suit my dietary restrictions. The egg-white, potato Benedict's was delicious:

YPJ2w34.jpeg


The restaurant has a long history of catering to motorcyclists. The wall art reflects that, but perhaps even more impressive is the gas station station and air pumps.

tda9h4t.jpeg


EzdmC9a.jpeg


hR3RqQw.jpeg


I parked my motorcycle in one of the designated areas. There was an interesting combination of Harley's, tourers, sport bikes, and adventure bikes. All the tribes appeared to get along with one another. When I returned after eating my brunch, some motorcyclists were standing by the CB1100EX. They wanted to learn more about the motorcycle and what it was like to ride. The marveled at the quality of materials, classic lines, and general appearance. One of the guys noted that he was behind me and had a much more difficult time navigating many of the turns. I told him that there are times when an upright riding position with a perfectly balanced motorcycle made for counter steering has some advantages. :)

An owner of a CBR asked me if he could take a video of my motorcycle so that he could share it on his Forum. I told him of course and that the CB1100, all vintages, represent the very best Honda has to offer:

WcqAi28.jpeg


VvunJhL.jpeg


I returned home. I spent 2 hours commuting and an hour talking shop with motorcyclists of all persuasions. Life is good on a CB1100. Enjoy your weekend. David
 
Great report rdprdp01. Glad you got out.
 
rdprdp01 said:
...
uWhSjIp.jpeg

...
I crossed the Peninsula without incident even with winds gusting over 25 MPH. I was delighted to have the weight of the CB1100EX. :)
...
When I returned after eating my brunch, some motorcyclists were standing by the CB1100EX. They wanted to learn more about the motorcycle and what it was like to ride. The marveled at the quality of materials, classic lines, and general appearance. 
...
An owner of a CBR asked me if he could take a video of my motorcycle so that he could share it on his Forum. I told him of course and that the CB1100, all vintages, represent the very best Honda has to offer:
...
Life is good on a CB1100. Enjoy your weekend. David

This photo might be the first "self-portrait" I've seen using the front fender! : )

Fantastic photos, David, really cool to see...love the bridge!  The weight of the CB is a plus on the open road with strong winds, making it feel planted.  

Took my sister in-law and her family to Jedediah Smith (redwoods) a few weeks ago--they were visiting from Costa Rica, first time in the U.S.  Now they have some big-boy trees in CR, but when we hiked through Grove of the Titans in that state park, they were flabbergasted.  We all were.   

I'd wager your bike gets the attention it does in part because you keep it looking in such great shape!  The painted calipers, the tank, the chrome...it all makes the bike look show-room.

Very nice outing.
 
reminds me of the Arlo Guthrie song with the same title.  Wonder if they have that record slipcover up on the wall too?

How do you keep your bike so spotless and still ride it??  Mine gets totally splattered with bugs every time I venture out.  

Great ride report though.  we can call our rides our "mental health breaks".  
thanks for the photos.  
-tdbru
 
Thread starter
You are very kind, tdbru and pdedse. When I first purchased the motorcycle, I cleaned it thoroughly, decatiminted all services,  color corrected the minor imperfections, and applied two ceramic coats and a top coat to the paint, chrome, and frame.

The wider Road Comet Bikini Cowl I have on my motorcycle not only helps with wind but I believe also pushes most of the bugs into the slip stream, away from me and the motorcycle.

After each ride, I park the motorcycle on the center stand, wait for the motor to cool, and wipe everything down using a detail spray formulated for ceramic coating. It takes 5-10 minutes.

Honda Designers and Builders deserve 99% of the credit. I just keep it clean. Take care, David
 
What a great day! I need a riding day like that soon. For me the equivalent would be the Rock Store in Malibu. Been a long time. Glad your CB got the deserved attention.
 
Had to Google it. That Rock Store looks like a good time!
 
rdprdp01, you're a man after my own heart. I wipe my CB1100 down after a long ride as well, and being a '13, do a quick polish on the headers too, to keep them in top shape.

Yes, Lord Popgun, the Rock Store is the L.A. area bike hangout. Quite a scene on weekends. I haven't been up there, or in the Malibu area in general since the huge fires in January. Plus, my ride to get there would be by slabbing it on the freeways, so the getting there is a lot less picturesque than rdprdp01's ride to Alice's. Once the weather cools off, I'll take a day and get up there.

My last few visits to the Rock Store have been on early weekdays when they're closed. Not quite the same scene as a Saturday when it's teeming with bikes and sports cars!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1081.webp
    IMG_1081.webp
    907.1 KB · Views: 45
Hey I have a picture somewhere of me standing on those steps from many years ago 8/4/2015
 
Thanks rdprdp01 for the nice ride report, and for bringing back memories.  When I lived in Saratoga I had just enough juice in the Royal E-field to ride up Big Basin Way and Skyline Blvd to Alice's and home again.  What a beautiful ride Skyline is, with views on both sides, although clouds often obscure the view towards the Pacific.  Some mornings I would ride up through a cloud layer on the south bay side and be greeted by sunshine on the way up.  The warming effect of leaving the moisture and entering the sunshine was magical.  One of those mornings is captured in the first photo below.  Both photos were taken facing the South bay, somewhere on Skyline east of Alice's.

I recall having to be careful sometimes when the moisture from the pacific side would run up and over the slope and drip on the shaded parts of Skyline.  I think a lot of riders hurt themselves on this road.  We would sit on our deck at home on the weekends and hear a group of riders scream up Big Basin Way, then a few minutes later we would hear an ambulance go up after them.  Fast cars go up there too.  There are many land preserves and trailheads along the ridge for hiking and biking.  I once backpacked with my sons from the ridge at Castle Rock SP to the Pacific coast.  I don't think you can do that now, after the big fire destroyed Big Basin Redwoods SP.  Anyway, I digress, but thanks again for the story and pictures.  I didn't leave my heart in SF, but I may have left a piece of it in the Santa Cruz hills.

Oh, I just looked at your route map and I see you took 280 to 84.  Next time I would try 35 (Skyline) to Alice's.  After your meal, continue southeast on Skyline for more great views, then return via 9 (Big Basin Way).

[attachment=777]

[attachment=778]
 

Attachments

  • View from Skyline Blvd.webp
    View from Skyline Blvd.webp
    104.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20161113_065136.webp
    IMG_20161113_065136.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Mist is insidious stuff. Before very long you are very wet indeed.
 
David, kudos for keeping your bike so clean, cleaner than a new one. That bridge looks nice, and it seems that California has a lot of great roads fitted to riding.
 
Thread starter
Copy that, Lunchbag! Thanks for the great tips. I will definitely ride Skyline.

As for the Royal E⚡️field, that is absolutely incredible. It is without question the best electric motorcycle I have even seen. Your Wordpress site made my browser’s favorite list!
 
Thread starter
Frenchie, California is an incredible state for motorcyclists, although highway maintenance has suffered as of late. Mother Nature still delivers the goods: scenic coast, gentle mountains, old-growth forests, canyons, and twisty roads often overlooked by commuters. I hope someday we can share the road. David
 
Just bring lots of money for gas lol. I just returned from northern California ( visited Lassen Volcanic Natl Park). Gas varied from $4.49 gal to $5.19 a gal depending on location and scarcity of fuel stations. I filled up before I left home in Ohio @ $ 2.87 a gal. Last night I filled up here for $2.75 a gal.
 
Yeah, gas in California ain't cheap. At least I live in a low-rent part of the place. They'll gouge you around national parks, remote areas, and pretty places.

Lassen... I was supposed to go there around this time last year before I had to cancel the trip. Someday...
 
Lol we visited the Grand Tetons, Crater Lake, Lassen Volcanic and Great Basin Natl Parks... everywhere was pretty remote. It is amazing how much "nothing" there is in this country. Mrs Ferret and I were trying to decide which state had the most "nothing", S Dakota, Wyoming, Nevada, Oregon, Nebraska, Kansas......

It was actually scary traveling at times..we would go from the equivalent of Cinti to Dayton here in Ohio and see nothing but prairie...no houses, no service stations, no cell service. We drove part of Rt 50 in Nevada the Loneliest Road In America and I told the MRS we've been on lots of roads on this trip as lonley as this one lol
 
Mrs. G and I have visited almost, if not all of the national parks in our area, except for Lassen and Crater Lake, primarily due to how remote they are. Hopefully we'll get there soon, however. When I drove a truck for a former employer, heading to the mid-west for trade shows, it is amazing how desolate some areas are.
 
the Ferret said:
....no houses, no service stations, no cell service. We drove part of Rt 50 in Nevada the Loneliest Road In America and I told the MRS we've been on lots of roads on this trip as lonley as this one lol

This is what I love about the west.

Y1KeYlr.jpg
 
pdedse said:
the Ferret said:
....no houses, no service stations, no cell service. We drove part of Rt 50 in Nevada the Loneliest Road In America and I told the MRS we've been on lots of roads on this trip as lonley as this one lol

This is what I love about the west.

Y1KeYlr.jpg

I have always been a worrier that something will go wrong. Probably why I've carried AAA Insurance for the last 37 years lol. The trouble with some places out west was even if there was cell service and in many places we lost it, it could take a half day before someone from AAA would be able to find you, even if you could tell them where you were broken down at lol.

I used to hunt with a buddy from MN in some very remote places. His wife said we were the perfect pair. She said, I was always sure something would go wrong even though it rarely did, while he was always sure nothing would go wrong, even though sometimes it did.
 
Back
Top