warman_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
Bought a leftover 2014 (new) in April of 2017. Should I look at my battery as 5 years old or two and a half years old?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I picked up my 2014 in April of 2017. Within less than 1000 miles and 4 months, the original battery had failed. Replaced with one from Batteries Plus. Still good to go over two and a half years after replacement.GoldOxide_imp said:Yeah, unless the original 2014 battery was packed in ice until 2017, the cell plates will corrode and the battery lifespan significantly shortened. As Houtman said, probably in worse shape than a used 5-year-old.
5 years-old.LongRanger_imp said:Warman, despite the fact your bike sat unused in the crate (or on the showroom floor) for all those years, if it were my bike, I'd replace the brake and clutch fluid.
Assuming the battery was fully disconnected when the bike sat, does the collective here still think it's a "five year old" battery?
My '14 had no battery when it was delivered to the dealer. I happened to be hanging around the showroom the day it arrived. Only two were allotted to the dealer so I had to put up or shut upDestindoc_imp said:These bikes come from Japan in a crate, you mean a battery is in the bike from the factory? I would had thought all these bikes had to have a battery added at the dealer during prep? I bought a zero mile 2014 in 2018... battery hasn't been an issue. I did change the brake/clutch fluid, it was dark... I've seen bikes on the showroom floor without batteries in them... salesmen tell me they don't put batteries in until the bike is sold...


My '14 had no battery when it was delivered to the dealer. I happened to be hanging around the showroom the day it arrived. Only two were allotted to the dealer so I had to put up or shut upRocky_imp said:My '14 had no battery when it was delivered to the dealer. I happened to be hanging around the showroom the day it arrived. Only two were allotted to the dealer so I had to put up or shut upDestindoc_imp said:These bikes come from Japan in a crate, you mean a battery is in the bike from the factory? I would had thought all these bikes had to have a battery added at the dealer during prep? I bought a zero mile 2014 in 2018... battery hasn't been an issue. I did change the brake/clutch fluid, it was dark... I've seen bikes on the showroom floor without batteries in them... salesmen tell me they don't put batteries in until the bike is sold...
They fitted a new Yuasa battery and added an Optimate pigtail free of charge.
That original battery is still strong, but I'm keeping an eye on it.


Do a proper AVR/battery test, which will tell you about its health and entire charging system.warman_imp said:Bought a leftover 2014 (new) in April of 2017. Should I look at my battery as 5 years old or two and a half years old?
This is exactly my experience under PB's said conditions for my '14 CB1100.peterbaron_imp said:Do a proper AVR/battery test, which will tell you about its health and entire charging system.warman_imp said:Bought a leftover 2014 (new) in April of 2017. Should I look at my battery as 5 years old or two and a half years old?
For my 213 and 2014, both batteries lasted about 5 years, while properly maintained off seasons.
max_imp said:Goldoxide is right on the money again, honda ships the bike with everything tested , that means the engine has run, shifted through the gears on a roller bank, lights tested etc and that includes the ( disconnected ) battery ( shown 5 minutes into the video ) in place.
All that the dealer needs to do is remove the crate, mount some hardware like mirrors that come in a separate box, maybe add some fuel and that's it;
Our bikes are manufactured in the hamamatsu factory and tested like this;
Activating a battery means adding the acid with the right specific gravity to the battery, this is not even possible with an agm battery, they leave the factory charged and ready to run, they also have a better shelf life and usually last longer than a "wet" battery.
From experience in my bikes the wet batteries never lasted longer than one and a half years, but the agm ones ave been good for 4 years now and still going, it's a big improvement.
