Battery Issue

linuxology_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Got to the gas station and tanked the bike up. When I went to restart it battery did not want to turn bike over. Think it may have done a half turn then tried to start, then nothing. Had to push start the bike today. I got the bike back home. It would start at home 3 consecutive times, but figured I probably have a battery going out. Had to come to work in car after parking the bike. Feel free to share insights and the online battery shop you know about.
 
That is exactly what mine did, except for the start 3 times later part. You need a new battery.

Can't help with the best place to get one though. I just went to the dealer and bought an OEM from Japan Yuasa. Paid the price and took my licks here...
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That is exactly what mine did, except for the start 3 times later part. You need a new battery.

Can't help with the best place to get one though. I just went to the dealer and bought an OEM from Japan Yuasa. Paid the price and took my licks here...
I've been using Yuasa batteries for over 20 years in all my bikes; even the vintage bikes.
They aren't cheap, but they last a long time. From that point of view I think they're worth the money.
 
Got a MotoBatt on eBay. Came fast, is strong, works great so far. AGM. Has 4 terminals to facilitate hooking up your Tender, GPS, auxiliary stuff.
Competitive $$, low $60's + free shipping. Seems to be excellent quality, fits right. Spins motor fast ;)
 
I had the same issue with my OEM battery. Started fine, rode a few miles and it wouldn't start at the next stop. After a push start, I rode it home. Once there, it didn't restart right away, but did start a couple of times after the bike had cooled down (heat diminishes lead/acid battery performance).

Mine only lasted two years, so I decided to take a chance on new technology that shouldn't be affected as much by our crippling heat. I got the MMG Lithium Ion battery on Amazon for $99.

I've had it for a year and a half with no issues. Here's a thread about it :

MMG Lithium Ion Battery
 
The original battery on my '89 Hawk lasted 9 years, and the replacement Yuasa was good for another 8; which was knocked down because of a faulty voltage regulator. Could it be the electronics on modern bikes, which need a lot of juice? Makes one wonder...
 
Batteries that live in a hot climate like the US southern states have a tough life due to the constant heat and give up the ghost after only a few years.
Up here in Eskimo land, my Yuasa batteries last 8-9-10 years.
The Yuasa battery that came with my 2006 Bonneville is still in use and works fine after ten years.
That said, I think I'll replace it next spring as preventative maintenance - just in case. After this long it doesn't owe me anything.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That is exactly what mine did, except for the start 3 times later part. You need a new battery.

Can't help with the best place to get one though. I just went to the dealer and bought an OEM from Japan Yuasa. Paid the price and took my licks here...
What did you pay for it?

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8dccf870022e4ccd3264/battery
What did you pay for it?

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8dccf870022e4ccd3264/battery
I paid list minus 10% discount the dealer gives me. I know you can order them, but I bought it and took it home and was riding right then :D
 
I keep my ST1300 on one all the time as I don't ride it much(same battery as the CB). As soon as riding season is over the CB will be on one. Some here keep them on all the time
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Just wondering if any of you kept your battery on a tender?

Whenever I am not riding my bikes are on tenders. They get plugged in when I come in from a ride before I even take off my helmet. Just happened on the CB. Rode some curvy roads for an hour, pulled into the garage, turned off the ignition, climbed off and plugged her in. Then came in the house to remove gear.

I got 5 years out of first ST battery, installed a new Japanese Yuasa in Nov 2011 and it's still going strong 5 years later as of next month. (knock on wood). CB battery is only 2 1/2 years old.
 
This just happened to me, a couple of weeks ago. Identical symptoms. Bike is nearly always on a tender. 2013 Standard with about 9000 miles. Fired up just fine in the garage, again after gassing up. Then, just as the OP stated, barely cranked, would not start. Got a jump from the Auto Club and fired up fine after that. Checked battery voltage (bike off) and showed about 13V after the ride, which is excellent. Bike was putting out about 14.1V at idle so alternator is good.

Must be a bad batch of batteries because we all seem to be having same issue at about the same time. I thought perhaps the connection was not tight but that settles it for me; a new battery will be on order soon.

Weird.
 
Back
Top