battery /charging system issues

dlhmatt_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has anyone had problems with their charging system yet?

Went out this morning to go to work and my bike was cranking really slowly. Had to open the throttle to get it to spin fast enough to fire. I ride just over 60 miles a day to work and school and didn't go anywhere this weekend.

I rode about 30 minutes (about 26 miles mostly highway and some stop and go) got to the gas station turned it off and filed up the tank and it fired right up and rode two blocks to work. Went to Lowe's an hour later and it started right up. Going to do a current draw test and see how much it's drawing while it's off and check the changing system too. I have no accessories on the bike so nothing should be drawing that much power while off.
 
dlhmatt_imp said:
Has anyone had problems with their charging system yet?

Went out this morning to go to work and my bike was cranking really slowly. Had to open the throttle to get it to spin fast enough to fire. I ride just over 60 miles a day to work and school and didn't go anywhere this weekend.

I rode about 30 minutes (about 26 miles mostly highway and some stop and go) got to the gas station turned it off and filed up the tank and it fired right up and rode two blocks to work. Went to Lowe's an hour later and it started right up. Going to do a current draw test and see how much it's drawing while it's off and check the changing system too. I have no accessories on the bike so nothing should be drawing that much power while off.
I have had no issue's, bike was not on a tender all winter and spun fast every time I warmed it up. Give it a full over-nite charge and put a load tester on the battery. Charging system should be at about 14.5 at 3000 rpm's.
 
I had no issues with mine Matt, but keep my bikes on tenders when not being ridden
 
Thread starter
14.13Vdc at 3k rpm and 0.13 mA dc draw while off. Anyone around a service manual that can look up the spec for that. Warm Florida and me riding it everyday, it should never need to be on a tender.
 
Pull the seat and the tool box underneath so you can see the battery posts. Put your multi-meter set for DC ($10 for one at H/F or Radio Shack) on the battery with the bike turned off. You should see a bit over 12VDc. Start the bike and measure again. You should see over 13VDc.

If you see under-voltage with the bike off, usually the battery is bad or failing. If you see under-voltage with the bike running, usually there's a problem with the charging system.

These are very general guidelines and there's a cuss of exceptions, variations, reasons why, etc. etc. etc. But it's a good start to understanding what's up with your bike's electrical operation.
 
Thread starter
Yeah Spaceman you are correct about all that. I just went out there on my lunch brake with the Fluke. It's not that i need help diagnosing as much as I was just wondering if anyone had issues with the charging system. It's always great though when people put the simplified steps up though so it can help someone later. The battery after sitting for two and a half hours was reading 12.86 vdc. I have to pull the battery and throw a load tester on it hopefully tonight.
 
No problems with mine yet, although I had the battery on my Yamaha FZ6 go weak on me the day I was due to exchange.

Enough so that after a few attempts I dragged it back into the garage and fixed up an Optimate.

5 hours later it was like a rampant dog. Maybe just a 'glitch'.

(Forgot to add it had fired up like a charm the day before)
 
dlhmatt_imp said:
Yeah Spaceman you are correct about all that. I just went out there on my lunch brake with the Fluke. It's not that i need help diagnosing as much as I was just wondering if anyone had issues with the charging system. It's always great though when people put the simplified steps up though so it can help someone later. The battery after sitting for two and a half hours was reading 12.86 vdc. I have to pull the battery and throw a load tester on it hopefully tonight.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
dlhmatt_imp said:
Yeah Spaceman you are correct about all that. I just went out there on my lunch brake with the Fluke. It's not that i need help diagnosing as much as I was just wondering if anyone had issues with the charging system. It's always great though when people put the simplified steps up though so it can help someone later. The battery after sitting for two and a half hours was reading 12.86 vdc. I have to pull the battery and throw a load tester on it hopefully tonight.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
What! No humour? :(
 
Tortuga_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
dlhmatt_imp said:
Yeah Spaceman you are correct about all that. I just went out there on my lunch brake with the Fluke. It's not that i need help diagnosing as much as I was just wondering if anyone had issues with the charging system. It's always great though when people put the simplified steps up though so it can help someone later. The battery after sitting for two and a half hours was reading 12.86 vdc. I have to pull the battery and throw a load tester on it hopefully tonight.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
What! No humour? :(
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
What! No humour? :(
I reached my daily quota as an Unpaid Content Provider with the SMES post. Check back tomorrow.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
dlhmatt_imp said:
Yeah Spaceman you are correct about all that. I just went out there on my lunch brake with the Fluke. It's not that i need help diagnosing as much as I was just wondering if anyone had issues with the charging system. It's always great though when people put the simplified steps up though so it can help someone later. The battery after sitting for two and a half hours was reading 12.86 vdc. I have to pull the battery and throw a load tester on it hopefully tonight.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
What! No humour? :(
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
What! No humour? :(
I reached my daily quota as an Unpaid Content Provider with the SMES post. Check back tomorrow.
Fair enough. I haven't seen any posts on this topic so far; but we've got our first batch of CBs coming out of winter storage though. We might see some new posts on dead/weak batteries cropping up in the weeks ahead.
What! No humour? :(
I reached my daily quota as an Unpaid Content Provider with the SMES post. Check back tomorrow.

I've ordered my SMES, so I expect the next time we talk my bike will be 12000 microwave ovens, and my spine will be compressed to 'Oompa Loompa" levels.
 
Ok, I don't know what SMES is, but...

The '13 service manual says that with the ignition switch off (naturally) leakage current max is 0.1mA.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ok, I don't know what SMES is, but...

The '13 service manual says that with the ignition switch off (naturally) leakage current max is 0.1mA.
Awesome Thank you for that. 0.03mA is so little. I'll test it with my other work multimeter tomorrow. The one i used today is over due for recalibration which is probably why it's reading 0.03 over... the day i went to test ride this bike last year it had a dead battery and they were supposed to give me a new battery but probably just quick charged the dead one.
 
I pull my battery every winter and store it inside away from the elements and in spring when I put it back in it is only after coming off the charger which in most cases tells me it is charged already. When I install the the battery I make sure my cables/connections are nice and clean...

Just what I do.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
My bike is not being used at the moment but, even so, the weekly kick in the guts brings it straight to life. I did have a problem not so long ago where I used the kill switch to shut down and left the ignition on for a few minutes. Result was a badly discharged battery. Fortunately I had parked on a slope so I did a bump start. Since then no problems and I have got out of the habit of using the kill switch.
I am interested in the actual charge rate as measured by you guys. I have the feeling that with any added electronics the system would only just cope.

Cheers
 
No issues. Sounds like the battery is bad, or you may have a poor connection at one or both terminals. 14.2 volts or thereabouts sounds pretty good for the charging system. It's putting current back into the battery.
 
Back
Top