Bar risers

jtopiso_imp said:
kzoorue_imp said:
So..I too purchased and installed bar risers
(Rox Speed FX Elite Series). Since the front clutch cable was at an angle, I loosened the nut for less pull/more play. Now, my clutch doesn't work. How do I solve this?
Which nut?

Clutch is hydraulic. If you have loosened the hydraulic line, you'll need to make it tight again and bleed the system.

Make sure it's not leaking: it's a nasty and corrosive fluid.
Which nut?

Clutch is hydraulic. If you have loosened the hydraulic line, you'll need to make it tight again and bleed the system.

Make sure it's not leaking: it's a nasty and corrosive fluid.
So, yes, it was the hydraulic line, I believe. It was super tight, but only leaked a very small amount... I played around with the clutch lever attachments, and loosened/re-tightened the line, and now the clutch adjustment is fine (works). I have never "bled the system". Wondering:

1. Since very little fluid came out do I need to do this?
2. If I need to do this, any videos you might recommend?

Thanks!
 
Supposed to be done every 2 years.

If it isn't time, just top off the reservoir if needed. The marks are there by the window.
 
Thread starter
Quick update..
The grip puppies are good I like the fatter softer bars, I've bought another set for my cb500x just so both bikes feel the same.

I've bought another set of bar risers 30mm universal fit and after some fiddling about they now fit. The holes were slotted which helped but the bars didn't grip and would rotate so had to file some off the risers which cured that problem also the two forward bolts were to long so had to be shortened.
Not been a ride yet but they look good and should make a difference.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Quick update..
The grip puppies are good I like the fatter softer bars, I've bought another set for my cb500x just so both bikes feel the same.

I've bought another set of bar risers 30mm universal fit and after some fiddling about they now fit. The holes were slotted which helped but the bars didn't grip and would rotate so had to file some off the risers which cured that problem also the two forward bolts were to long so had to be shortened.
Not been a ride yet but they look good and should make a difference.
... and some good news is it seems the genuine brand Grip Puppies appear to last. That is, they don't appear to rot and fall apart even after all day in the sun and soaking in doses of rain. I've had mine for several years (4 to 5) and relocated across multiple bikes. I have not replaced them yet and they feel and look like "Day 1" new.
 
+1 on the Grip Puppies. After a few months of sweaty palms, they are getting a bit sticky. Any recommendations on best way to clean them?
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
+1 on the Grip Puppies. After a few months of sweaty palms, they are getting a bit sticky. Any recommendations on best way to clean them?
Soak in soap and water? The soap will help break down the skin oil and proteins.

Then rinse with water and optionally squeeze and air dry?



I usually wear riding gloves, so the gloves "take the hit" and get thrown into a bucket of soapy water from time to time.
 
Thread starter
I've now been a ride on the RS with the 30mm bar risers and surprisingly it has made a big difference to the handling as well as comfort for me.
Having owned both the RS and EX there are a few differences in the two bikes, as someone said on youtube the RS is a poorly modified version of the EX and suffers in handling. Lower bars and smaller wheels makes it feel like it dosn't want to corner easily and sometimes feels like you really have to force it over.
With just 30mm higher bars its made it feel like a totally different bike and cornering is how it was on the EX I used to own ( I didn't like cleaning spokes)
In all my biking years I've never felt the need to fit bar risers and thought they can't make much difference ? seems I was wrong and its the best £15 I've ever spent.
 
Handlebar risers are indeed specific to the rider's comfort. Myself I find enhanced comfort. As for the spokes: Don't clean 'em if you dislike doing it. Alternatively, do it less times per annum - like once? Kerosene and a rag will make the work go by quickly.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Handlebar risers are indeed specific to the rider's comfort. Myself I find enhanced comfort. As for the spokes: Don't clean 'em if you dislike doing it. Alternatively, do it less times per annum - like once? Kerosene and a rag will make the work go by quickly.
I wouldn't mind cleaning stainless steel spokes but mine was before they changed to stainless so I had steel spokes with a zinc coating which had started to peel off and go rusty so impossible to keep looking good.
There's a thread about it called scabby spokes somewhere but no real solutions so I exchanged for the RS with cast wheels.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Handlebar risers are indeed specific to the rider's comfort. Myself I find enhanced comfort. As for the spokes: Don't clean 'em if you dislike doing it. Alternatively, do it less times per annum - like once? Kerosene and a rag will make the work go by quickly.
I wouldn't mind cleaning stainless steel spokes but mine was before they changed to stainless so I had steel spokes with a zinc coating which had started to peel off and go rusty so impossible to keep looking good.
There's a thread about it called scabby spokes somewhere but no real solutions so I exchanged for the RS with cast wheels.
Ah, ya. That indeed would be an extra drag.

Maybe consider trying to "ignore" them in the meantime? On the rear wheel let the obnoxious chain oil fling slowly coat them and slowly turn the spokes black from the addition of the collective road dirt. Until you get new spokes or wheels, the visual might appear "black" and uniform in nature?

The front wheel? Hmm, might need to hand coat those with gear oil and let riding "blacken" them?
 
Back
Top