Bar end mirrors vs standard mirrors

You have a point, Michael. Bar ends are great for wide vision while riding, but they do need some extra care. I have to squeeze my Triumph between the edge of my garage door and my wife's car to park in the garage at home, and through a walk-in door to the warehouse at work. It requires a little side-to-side dance to get her through without bumping them, altering my oh-so-precious mirror adjustment.

One of the reasons I started parking in my warehouse was because our mailman would periodically bump my mirror walking up to our office to deliver the mail. (At least my coworkers blamed the mailman, swearing that none of them bumped it)

As far as riding, there's always the fear that the bike is a bit wider, but I squeeze through some tight traffic and have never bumped them. If I get so close to a car that a few inches of mirror are an issue, I shouldn't be trying to get through that hole!
 
Thread starter
Went with Gone in 60's standard mirrors, thanks dude! And thank's everybody for your input much appreciated.... nice bikes by the way, squeaky clean and it looks like you've got some good scenery while ridin'!!
 
I'm a fan of bar ends. Great in close traffic. I've gone as far as using barends and also a longer bar. Not a fan of blind spots. I'm currently using a 3" CRG.
 
I didn't think I would like bar-ends, but I the more I see them, the more I'm okay with it (Halcyon 830). Also vision is top notch.

8d7d9ff53d19bf4f634a7a53bc883903.jpg

371510051cbe75dbb639a2890d799cbc.jpg
 
Welcome to the forum, CptMoustache.
 
Welcome! I like your chrome cups on your gauges. I was considering those, but my windscreen would block the view of them, so I left them alone.
My last bike was made in your country!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Welcome! I like your chrome cups on your gauges. I was considering those, but my windscreen would block the view of them, so I left them alone.
My last bike was made in your country!
Thank you all for the welcome !

Chrome cups came with the bike, and any shiny bit is welcome on this one. I just replaced the original headlight with a full chrome bucket and I think it's neat

Concerning filtering : you can flip these mirrors inwards so they take less space should you encounter traffic. I'd say pretty neat too. They are a bit pricey but they look the part and feel sturdy. I didn't want them to seem cheap ; you do see them a lot in theory
 
Just received the mirrors I bought from Dennis Kirk. Took them out of box, and was thinking Oh, yeah! these are gonna be great! Until I noticed that the stem angle was all wrong, the mirror would be vertical instead of horizontal, and would not look past my shoulders even with the struts I have on there. Thoroughly po'd, I put them back in the box. Then today, I got them out to use tlhe return ticket DK provides, and looked at my order on their site, and yeah, the number is correct, but they look different, and it dawned on me, maybe this joint articulates, and wham! Suddenly, they were perfect! Gonna have the tires I got from DK mounted this week, too.
 
I will never add bar-end mirrors, never have liked them. Maybe it is the way they change the look of the bike, or bad memories of when, as a 15 year old kid, we would run from the cops after blasting off M-80's and would ditch it through houses where our handlebars barely fit. Just do not like them.
I found a nice pair of chromed, oval mirrors for the DLX I am still piecing back together. The Mirror post even had a little corrosion on them. The round round stock mirrors look a little plain, but would have kept them if in great shape.
 
After raising the bars on my Daytona 1200 the fairing mounted mirrors were unusable, bar ends were the only solution to regain some sense of rear view safety. Can't imagine them on my CB though, the mirror extenders do their job in that respect.

 
Great pic Tev! Regarding the mirrors themselves, looks aside, I find the stock mirrors as functional as anything I've had on any other bike.
 
Well, went to mount my new mirrors. Found out the right one is not mounted in a left-handed thread, but the right side mirror has a left-handed stud. The bars, levers, and reservoir mounts are not OEM, so now I have to come up with some kind of adapter, or take everything back to OEM. I just might do that, I've never liked those cheap-looking round plastic reservoirs, anyway.
 
I've posted this elsewhere, but include it here just in case someone can't find the other one and wants a good, inexpensive bar-end mirror that doesn't require much work on the weights inside the bars. Highly recommend.

 
So who is Mathew? He has obviously been on the forum
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
I've posted this elsewhere, but include it here just in case someone can't find the other one and wants a good, inexpensive bar-end mirror that doesn't require much work on the weights inside the bars. Highly recommend.

They make the bars look very wide and there is no adjustment on the horizontal axis, they are a terrible idea to my mind.
 
Back
Top