Bar end mirrors vs standard mirrors

GroovyBunny86_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys, upgraded my puny aftermarket bar end mirrors that came with the bike when i bought it. not sure i'm a fan of bar ends, any suggestions for bar end mirrors with great visibility or even standard mirrors? standard mirrors on cyclegear are quite pricey but i'll pay if they are worth it. Can i install bar end sliders without bar end mirrors? Thanks.
 
Hi Groovy, I put bar ends on my Triumph years ago. Didn't think I'd like them, but the standard Bonneville mirrors just gave you a good view of your shoulders. I wanted something on the large side to give a good view, and also to fit with the retro style of the bike.

I got Napoleon mirrors, and love them. They are pretty large, so the view is good. It takes a bit of time to adjust to glancing down further than you're used to, but if adjusted right, they give great visibility.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293922629405?_t...6hEALw_wcB
 
Thread starter
thanks. i'm sure there are quality bar end mirrors but these aftermarket ones the previous owner installed are teeny and i just can't adjust them so i can see behind me so i've been considering standard mirrors as well. We are talking make a circle with your pointer and thumb, maybe a hair bigger.... thats how small these are its ridiculous!
 
The bars on my CB were not OEM, a PO had put clip-ons on there and the next owner switched them back but not with OEM and had gone with bar-end mirrors. I hated them. I bought OEM mirrors from a member of this forum and put them on, with a pair of extender struts to get the mirror further outboard. They're OK, but they look like snail eyes. I like the mirrors on my Suzi V-Strom, they're shorer, different shape, and black.
 
I've got these for sale. OEM new Honda, not CB1100 specific, but they're on a wide stem, all chrome metal, and should give good visibility. Let me know if you're interested.
 
Thread starter
gotcha. yeah, i definitely don't want to drop $130 each for standard mirrors and discover that i'm just taking a good look at the front of my shoulders lol. snail eyes are totally cool, as long as i can see behind me haha
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Shoot, I won't charge anywhere near $130 for mine! :)

If chrome isn't your style, lots of guys put CB500 mirrors on theirs. I have them on mine. They look great and give great view past your shoulders:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2838631557...pjcxpnxGQAk4lBemCrg-QxdXOF0Y3tA4aAvxBEALw_wcB
awesome, thanks! feel free to shoot me a dm. i'm gonna do research for a couple more days but i'm definitely curious about price, what bike they were designed for etc. Love chrome!! Thanks
those cb 500's are nice though. those chrome guys give a similar view to the cb500's you think?
 
Groovy, just sent you a PM. Measuring the round mirrors, they're about 8.5" from the stem to the outer edge of the mirror, and the mirrors themseves are 4.5" in diameter. They have never been installed, so can't say how well they work compared to the CB500 mirros, but since the CB500 mirrors are oblong, they show a pretty wide field of view.
 
I had put CRG bar end mirrors on mine. I had the end weights Milled for the mirror clamp so they were right on end of grips. Visibility was great but after a while I got tired of looking down at them and also looking into a smaller sized mirror . I threw the oem lollipops back on and love them . They don’t look as cool but they have a good view for me and really close eye level vs bar ends . They also don’t add the extra width to bars . Just did the same with my enfield also , but those bar ends were unusable , just for looks . Nice napoleons too Unfortunately


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've thrown out several pairs of the stock mirrors that somehow find their way into my garage...and I think I still have a few pair laying around.

I greatly prefer these- which are also Honda mirrors...

3208eab855a9e632c4d2f07197163040.jpg


5e2f28ad86168a2e20fcafea24c70586.jpg
 
Dubs, those look like the OEM mirrors from a '91-'03 Nighthawk 750.
 
Never will I put on bar-end mirrors. Do not like the way they look, and it widens the path needed for you bike. Seems like a simple fall over or drop would break them too. I will stick with two mirrors to see both sides and provide a sense of even-ness to the bike, like twin pipes.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I've thrown out several pairs of the stock mirrors that somehow find their way into my garage...and I think I still have a few pair laying around.

I greatly prefer these- which are also Honda mirrors...

3208eab855a9e632c4d2f07197163040.jpg


5e2f28ad86168a2e20fcafea24c70586.jpg
Awl man, ... again! :-/




(hurts so good)
 
michael1954_imp said:
Never will I put on bar-end mirrors. Do not like the way they look, and it widens the path needed for you bike. Seems like a simple fall over or drop would break them too. I will stick with two mirrors to see both sides and provide a sense of even-ness to the bike, like twin pipes.
I remember a time (in the UK anyway) when a lot of bikes only came with one mirror as a safety feature, prompting many an owner to buy a second to even things up. The early start of bike accessorising from the manufacturers maybe?

There is still no legal requirement to have any mirrors fitted to your bike in the UK. I think, but am not 100% certain, that they are mandatory in the rest of Europe.
 
Tev62_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
Never will I put on bar-end mirrors. Do not like the way they look, and it widens the path needed for you bike. Seems like a simple fall over or drop would break them too. I will stick with two mirrors to see both sides and provide a sense of even-ness to the bike, like twin pipes.
I remember a time (in the UK anyway) when a lot of bikes only came with one mirror as a safety feature, prompting many an owner to buy a second to even things up. The early start of bike accessorising from the manufacturers maybe?

There is still no legal requirement to have any mirrors fitted to your bike in the UK. I think, but am not 100% certain, that they are mandatory in the rest of Europe.
There was a time when the left mirror was mandatory in Canada. Now left and right mirrors appear standard equipment for road use.
 
Back
Top