Bar end mirrors, advantageous?

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been reading a bit about Bar End mirrors and their advantages, such as seeing farther out around the bike with ease, or not seeing your own elbows in the mirrors, and i've read about some of the disadvantages, such as Vibration, but i haven't really found anything in the context of the CB1100 specifically. Given the bar position of the stock CB1100, do Bar End mirrors make any sense? I'm not totally unhappy with the OEM mirros, but i'm just curious to discover whether it's a worthwhile pursuit to do something different. I'm in Traffic every day, and if there's a way to make my lane changes safer and more seamlessly, I want to know about it.
 
I always have put the longer stem Honda CBX mirrors on all of my bikes.
Do not need to see my shoulders but want to see clearly behind me , I do not even have to turn my head but still do.
 
I switched to clubman handlebars which required a better mirror option. I’m using some convex bar end mirrors and I like them. I’m not crazy about how far down I have to look to use them but they are effective. More so in that they have a wider field of view over the flat mirrors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
well, the stock mirrors are slightly convex, and they sit in a good position. Are you saying that bar end mirrors are only really useful if you have lower bars?
 
First of all, the CB1100 is so smooth, any mirror used will be crystal clear. I found the stock mirrors, on the stock handlebars were very, very good as far as field of view and being vibration free.

But, I just had to change handlebars..... and the stock mirrors would've looked like bug antennae. I've used CRG bar end mirrors for a long time now, I'm quite used to them. I did not re-install the Honda anti-vibration internal bar weights. Even without them, the mirrors are crystal clear.

But that's my own peculiar set-up. On a bike with stock handlebars, no, I would not recommend replacing the stock mirrors with bar ends.
 
Thread starter
3rdbike_imp said:
First of all, the CB1100 is so smooth, any mirror used will be crystal clear. I found the stock mirrors, on the stock handlebars were very, very good as far as field of view and being vibration free.

But, I just had to change handlebars..... and the stock mirrors would've looked like bug antennae. I've used CRG bar end mirrors for a long time now, I'm quite used to them. I did not re-install the Honda anti-vibration internal bar weights. Even without them, the mirrors are crystal clear.

But that's my own peculiar set-up. On a bike with stock handlebars, no, I would not recommend replacing the stock mirrors with bar ends.
thanks 3rd. that's good input. I wasn't sure if I liked them at all aesthetically, and if they aren't going to provide a measurable improvement in visibility for lane changes, then it's easy to conclude this is a no-go.

Cormanus_imp said:
well now i've got a whole nother set of questions for Houtman....

As for the mirrors, thanks for the link. they really do seem longer/able to increase my field of view. they also serve a different purpose, which is helping me black out more of my chrome. I will have to consider a set of those as i add farkle here and there.
 
I bought Motowerk mirror extenders for my CB500XA and kept them for my CB1100 EX when I traded it in. These allow you to see beyond your elbows and maintain the height of the Honda mirrors.
 
Thank you Cormanus for posting the pictures of my bikes with the CBX mirrors.
They are available from TIMSCBX and are from the 79/80 CBX and only available in black.
The stem is about 1 inch longer than the chrome CB 1100 mirrors and all of us know how an extra inch can make all the difference .
 
I installed CRG bar end mirrors on my stock bars and actually had a machine shop mill the weights down so i could clamp the mirrors right to the weights. I did the mirrors mostly for looks because i just dont like the lollipops but i can tell you that the CRG mirrors give great vision still and are absolutely clear as can be, no blur. My royal enfield has them as well and if that bike cant get them to shake then nothing will. I also do have Rox riser extensions so the mirrors are up a couple inches which made it a bit of a better field of vision. In all honesty though, i like the lollipops the best for high up view and they dont get blocked out my my shoulders. I also dont look down at them like bar end mirrorss. But the CRG setup works fine for me and looks a billion times better.
 
Thread starter
greekcb_imp said:
I installed CRG bar end mirrors on my stock bars and actually had a machine shop mill the weights down so i could clamp the mirrors right to the weights. I did the mirrors mostly for looks because i just dont like the lollipops but i can tell you that the CRG mirrors give great vision still and are absolutely clear as can be, no blur. My royal enfield has them as well and if that bike cant get them to shake then nothing will. I also do have Rox riser extensions so the mirrors are up a couple inches which made it a bit of a better field of vision. In all honesty though, i like the lollipops the best for high up view and they dont get blocked out my my shoulders. I also dont look down at them like bar end mirrorss. But the CRG setup works fine for me and looks a billion times better.
If you had to pick based solely on overall visibility, would you chose the lollipops or the bar ends?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
greekcb_imp said:
I installed CRG bar end mirrors on my stock bars and actually had a machine shop mill the weights down so i could clamp the mirrors right to the weights. I did the mirrors mostly for looks because i just dont like the lollipops but i can tell you that the CRG mirrors give great vision still and are absolutely clear as can be, no blur. My royal enfield has them as well and if that bike cant get them to shake then nothing will. I also do have Rox riser extensions so the mirrors are up a couple inches which made it a bit of a better field of vision. In all honesty though, i like the lollipops the best for high up view and they dont get blocked out my my shoulders. I also dont look down at them like bar end mirrorss. But the CRG setup works fine for me and looks a billion times better.
If you had to pick based solely on overall visibility, would you chose the lollipops or the bar ends?
If you had to pick based solely on overall visibility, would you chose the lollipops or the bar ends?
Actual visibility id say easily bar ends because they stick out further. Only downside id say is the bar end is gonna be smaller and down lower. So, its one of those things where it has a good/bad situation either way(to me). Looking down might not be a big deal though to some people etc. I do have to say that i like the lollipops for more of an "ease" to look at but by no means do they show me more etc. The "downsides" part to me though are very minor in comparison to the bar end mod itself etc. Im happy with it and wouldn't change that if i had to do over.
 
Thread starter
greekcb_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
greekcb_imp said:
I installed CRG bar end mirrors on my stock bars and actually had a machine shop mill the weights down so i could clamp the mirrors right to the weights. I did the mirrors mostly for looks because i just dont like the lollipops but i can tell you that the CRG mirrors give great vision still and are absolutely clear as can be, no blur. My royal enfield has them as well and if that bike cant get them to shake then nothing will. I also do have Rox riser extensions so the mirrors are up a couple inches which made it a bit of a better field of vision. In all honesty though, i like the lollipops the best for high up view and they dont get blocked out my my shoulders. I also dont look down at them like bar end mirrorss. But the CRG setup works fine for me and looks a billion times better.
If you had to pick based solely on overall visibility, would you chose the lollipops or the bar ends?
If you had to pick based solely on overall visibility, would you chose the lollipops or the bar ends?
Actual visibility id say easily bar ends because they stick out further. Only downside id say is the bar end is gonna be smaller and down lower. So, its one of those things where it has a good/bad situation either way(to me). Looking down might not be a big deal though to some people etc. I do have to say that i like the lollipops for more of an "ease" to look at but by no means do they show me more etc. The "downsides" part to me though are very minor in comparison to the bar end mod itself etc. Im happy with it and wouldn't change that if i had to do over.
Thanks greek.

Final follow up if you please: what kind of risers/bars do you have?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
greekcb_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
greekcb_imp said:
I installed CRG bar end mirrors on my stock bars and actually had a machine shop mill the weights down so i could clamp the mirrors right to the weights. I did the mirrors mostly for looks because i just dont like the lollipops but i can tell you that the CRG mirrors give great vision still and are absolutely clear as can be, no blur. My royal enfield has them as well and if that bike cant get them to shake then nothing will. I also do have Rox riser extensions so the mirrors are up a couple inches which made it a bit of a better field of vision. In all honesty though, i like the lollipops the best for high up view and they dont get blocked out my my shoulders. I also dont look down at them like bar end mirrorss. But the CRG setup works fine for me and looks a billion times better.
If you had to pick based solely on overall visibility, would you chose the lollipops or the bar ends?
If you had to pick based solely on overall visibility, would you chose the lollipops or the bar ends?
Actual visibility id say easily bar ends because they stick out further. Only downside id say is the bar end is gonna be smaller and down lower. So, its one of those things where it has a good/bad situation either way(to me). Looking down might not be a big deal though to some people etc. I do have to say that i like the lollipops for more of an "ease" to look at but by no means do they show me more etc. The "downsides" part to me though are very minor in comparison to the bar end mod itself etc. Im happy with it and wouldn't change that if i had to do over.
Thanks greek.

Final follow up if you please: what kind of risers/bars do you have?
Thanks greek.

Final follow up if you please: what kind of risers/bars do you have?

Sure no prob , I am running stock bars with Rox riser extensions (2inch) . This def put the bar ends in better view since they moved up. I also have the bar ends orientated with the clamps swiveled down , if you swivel up it’ll raise their position .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top