Bald Tire

Retsel_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Has anyone ever ridden on a motorcycle tire in this condition? I saw this bike coming out of a supermarket today. I was tempted to wait and meet the rider but, after 30min, I gave up. Probably should have left a note?
6fb6bcbebb17e2ff4cdded477c81b126.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Certainly got his money's worth out of that one. I've seen them like that. I wear mine pretty far down, but replace them waaay before they get to that point.
 
I'm thinking that's an outcome of personal situation and financial circumstance more than rider inattentiveness to maintenance.
 
One very warm day a close friend of mine set off on his heavy Harley (aren't they all!) for a day trip. The rear tyre left the house looking worn but not worn out, it came home looking the one in that picture. We put it down to very hot road surfaces and a somewhat under inflated tyre which would have led to the rubber getting to even higher temperatures. The tyre, having a low tread depth, just melted away. Not saying that's the case in the picture but it's a possibility.
 
Had my front one california slick when bought my 2014CB and riding home in heavy rain + 4 more weeks waiting for its replacement = scary and stupid:huh:
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
One very warm day a close friend of mine set off on his heavy Harley (aren't they all!) for a day trip. The rear tyre left the house looking worn but not worn out, it came home looking the one in that picture. We put it down to very hot road surfaces and a somewhat under inflated tyre which would have led to the rubber getting to even higher temperatures. The tyre, having a low tread depth, just melted away. Not saying that's the case in the picture but it's a possibility.
Not all.
The CB1100 standard is 540 pounds wet.
My 2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport was 537 pounds wet, with ~70 ft lbs at 5,700 RPM.
 
Happened to me on my K-bike. Four days into a week-long trip, my rear tire was suddenly worn down to the cords. I thought it had sufficient tread when I left home but the combination of high ambient temperatures, high sustained speeds, and a fully loaded bike conspired to consume the tire (Nevada and Utah in August). It cost me a full day to locate a new tire, ride three hours to the shop, wait for the install, and then ride three hours back. Lesson learned!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Happened to me on my K-bike. Four days into a week-long trip, my rear tire was suddenly worn down to the cords. I thought it had sufficient tread when I left home but the combination of high ambient temperatures, high sustained speeds, and a fully loaded bike conspired to consume the tire (Nevada and Utah in August). It cost me a full day to locate a new tire, ride three hours to the shop, wait for the install, and then ride three hours back. Lesson learned!
Easy to do.
Circa spring, 2005, I checked tires and tire pressure on my 2002 Sportster then headed out for a <200 mile canyon ride north of the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. I rode "normal", but came home with the rear slick...not down to the cords, but slick.
 
If you are someone who rides regularly and puts on a lot of miles - and especially if you have multiple bikes - it is easy for the tire condition to escape circumspection.
 
I have this dilemma....I'm 1500 miles from the projected life of my tires....getting ready to make a 2000 mile trip.
So do I get new tires now or try to stretch it to when I get back?
I guess I could do like this girl ferret and I saw in the middle of Kansas on a GS with two tires strapped to the back.....she had a place scheduled to change her out when she got to Colorado....but seems extreme.
 
oi, don't take risks with bald tires. it's worth changing it if you're going to have to go to the expense soon anyway. the new tires will make the ride better anyway.
 
Change the tire before the 2000 mile trip. There are enough other things that could go sideways during your journey -- you don't need the added anxiety (and lousy handling) of riding on worn tires, especially if you load up the bike or intend to ride at sustained high speeds.
 
Wise man, offroad. As noted in this thread, once they start to go, they seem to go fast.

You’re getting about a bit!
 
How many miles you get out of the original set offroad? I think that guy at the steak house in Kansas on the BMW 6 told us he was getting 5 or 6K.

The girl we saw with the 2 tires strapped to her Honda/Harley was at a gas stop while riding with LR in Colorado. Forget where she was headed though.
 
Back
Top