Bald Mountain...and a mishap!

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Had the full day to take a ride. After completing a 2 week trip on a loaned BMW1200, it was great to get back on the CB1100 for a good outing.

I live on the east side of the Portland area. I explore east, south and north of me into WA, but I don't explore enough the southwest region beyond Portland...mainly due to traffic returning home if it gets late in the day.

Got going a bit before 10am, and my only real goal was to explore the Nestucca River Road that begins west of Carlton, OR:
41e6aa23f88fdfd145edbc9d60cfd980.jpg


I could take this road all the way to the coast, or I could take Bald Mt. Road and meander south and back east to do a shorter loop. It was soooo nice out that I ended up doing the longer coastal route.
1849f618300cfda3ea976a03f4d01815.jpg


The Nestucca River Road was closed about 15 miles in, but the detour road introduced me to Bald Mt. Road, which was another road I've wanted to ride for a long time.

bb0bcbbfd07f077638d08ac031670ed9.jpg


ef77b8d1e6d720b051dc6c817f3c0d69.jpg


The area is ripe for Off Hiway Vehicles (OHV) and now I'll have to return on my DR650 to explore...
173fce5f1a5e6450871c6c0533cba30b.jpg


Wonderful one lane, paved road
310342fe04c7ec39c781671ed398472f.jpg


Got to the point where I had to decide between beach and shorter route home
5026ee08ea4fed234faf80b1f69d2d54.jpg


The mishap...as I'm texting a friend from the spot where I took the above photo, 3 riders ride towards me. The lead rider motions with a "thumbs-up" to see if I'm ok, and I give him a nod and a return the gesture indicating I'm fine. I look back to my text and I hear a KA-THUNK!!! The guy wiped out! He was riding a KLR650 and I think he lost control as he was giving me the thumb-up. His two riding buddies and I quickly checked on him...his left leg was kinda pinned under the bike, but the crash bars did their thing and he was ok. A sore wrist and a broken turn signal.

I felt bad for him..."no good deed goes unpunished" type of thing. I offered a $20 to pay half of the turn signal, or to buy himself dinner to lessen the pain a bit, but he wouldn't have it, saying it wasn't my fault. True, but dang, hate to see a hishap for a guy checking on a another rider. His bike started fine and they took off.
...

And I slowed down as I headed for the coast. Nothing says "Oregon" like mossy trees (at least the wet side of OR)...
b6297e07deda4effdb453196090fd080.jpg


d7e14b2cff399e19658024e1a0e51f5f.jpg


Had it been warmer, I would have jumped in
2f8b4ba1e4f05da9c4c6ebc7443e0182.jpg

53de3d8cbff918a91d544634cacddd3f.jpg


I think the decision to go coastal was a good one...
c2a83cfe3bae9348d84faa781f9362e5.jpg


de9562f048b3eacc28301a3a01114a90.jpg


At Oceanside, kicked the boots off and went for 1/2 hour walk
e1e19962dbf533ac512cd22b39b8ca1d.jpg


Cape Meares
e188a5a2df001eb7a6ff8fc8e268dc47.jpg


1d1f2012de9848d251a0a52964f82d9c.jpg


It was nearing 5:30pm and time to return home...by the time I would get to Portland, traffic wouldn't be terrible (it turned out to be slow, but moved ok).

I feel bad for the good Samaritan, but it was a beautiful ride, about 250 miles.
a6852cafeba2477b1b5575c6d883a147.jpg
 
Looks like a beautiful day, pdedse. Pity about your Good Samaritan; hope he's OK.
 
When the opportunity presents I'll advocate for a quick swim in a river.

Nice gesture from the fella, all good in the end.

Am sure his mates will never let him forget that ride and that's not a bad thing as in the end memories is all we truly have hey.

Regards

NRTM
 
Man, what a nice ride. Really looking forward to getting back up there, hopefully in fall.

Funny, years back, coming around a bend on Mulholland in Malibu, I came upon a lady running up the road chasing her dog. I was in a position to intercept the dog so I quickly stopped and in my haste, didn’t notice that my side stand was going into sand and my BMW tipped over.

Caught the dog and never even got a thank you let alone an offer to fix my bike.
 
Beautiful scenery. If I can't end up selling my bike, next time we go see the family in Eugene, I might drag it up there with me to go doodle around the coast a bit. I might even follow some of your posted routes.

:thanks:
 
Gorgeous pics pdedse. Too bad about the KLR rider.
 
If you’re ever headed near Astoria I’d love to join in a ride with you, or anyone else who gets close.
 
Dang, Jon Z is back. Where were ya for 2 years? Lol
 
Thread starter
Jonz_imp said:
If you’re ever headed near Astoria I’d love to join in a ride with you, or anyone else who gets close.
Ok! Next time. I'll be riding out to the coast sometime in August, could be on the cb1100 or the w800; either way we could make it a gun outing.
 
One reason I almost never wave back at a rider. I usually get the wave at an inopportune time….. riding through intersection…surrounded by cars etc. I like my hands covering the control, not in the air.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Jonz_imp said:
If you’re ever headed near Astoria I’d love to join in a ride with you, or anyone else who gets close.
Ok! Next time. I'll be riding out to the coast sometime in August, could be on the cb1100 or the w800; either way we could make it a gun outing.
Ok! Next time. I'll be riding out to the coast sometime in August, could be on the cb1100 or the w800; either way we could make it a gun outing.
Sounds great. Is that an Ory-gun outing? I rode to Seattle and back last week, but not a lot of riding lately. Mostly in my studio carving stone or walking the river walk to get coffee.
 
Thread starter
Jonz_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Jonz_imp said:
If you’re ever headed near Astoria I’d love to join in a ride with you, or anyone else who gets close.
Ok! Next time. I'll be riding out to the coast sometime in August, could be on the cb1100 or the w800; either way we could make it a gun outing.
Ok! Next time. I'll be riding out to the coast sometime in August, could be on the cb1100 or the w800; either way we could make it a gun outing.
Sounds great. Is that an Ory-gun outing? I rode to Seattle and back last week, but not a lot of riding lately. Mostly in my studio carving stone or walking the river walk to get coffee.
Ok! Next time. I'll be riding out to the coast sometime in August, could be on the cb1100 or the w800; either way we could make it a gun outing.
Sounds great. Is that an Ory-gun outing? I rode to Seattle and back last week, but not a lot of riding lately. Mostly in my studio carving stone or walking the river walk to get coffee.
Ha! didn't spot my typo! What do you carve?
 
Mostly I carve stones I pick up on beach walks that fit in my pocket. Taking the CB to collect rocks is a good way to keep the size and quantity down, my driveway is lined with too many stones already. Image wise lots of faces and birds, pretty abstract and often goofy.
 
Back
Top