Aux power

Southwend

Running like a top
Thread starter
I could use a recomendation on where to find an aux power source for my gps I am highly directionaly challenged and would love to have one mounted somehow on the bike. Some velcro on and off configuration. Maybe an ear plug.
 
southwend_imp said:
I could use a recomendation on where to find an aux power source for my gps I am highly directionaly challenged and would love to have one mounted somehow on the bike. Some velcro on and off configuration. Maybe an ear plug.
located inside your headlight shell is an unused Red two pin wire connector with the wire colors Black with Brown tracer = (12 volt switched hot key on)fed from the 10 AMP fuse (D) in the main fuse box. the green wire in the same connector is common ground.
Paul
 
What Paul said. Plus there is another accessory connector by the battery, left side in a plastic protector with some other connectors. Its red too.

Ram ball mounts are nice. And easy. The one I use replaces one of the handlebar clamp screws. There are others like handlebar clamp mount, etc. Ram has a lot of options.
 
Thread starter
I can do many things well, messing with electricity is not one of them. So one wire is black with brown stripes and the other is green-ground. This is a switched circuit. This would be an adequate source of power fo a cigarette lighter style auxillary plug? Is there a bike friendly mounting system for the aux plug? I prefer switched to unswitched for all the obvious (dead battery) reasons. I have a Parabellum Scout Fairing on order, I bet I could have a tidy application using the fairing as a mounting surface, with perhaps a disconnect for when the fairing is removed.
 
Currently there are no known accessories for either of the accessory connectors. If you want to use them you have to cut the wires or de-pin the connector, or chase down a mate for it. They are Hitachi connectors and somewhere on this site is a link to a source.

I THINK they are 10amp fused, but I'll have to check. The wires look a mite small to me for 10 amps.

You could just run some(fused) wires back to the battery for a Powerlet outlet or cigarette style outlet.
 
Thread starter
Probably the simplest solution is the wire to the battery. Plus with a lighter style plug in, the circuit is only closed when something is in it.

Popgun your "fork in the road" reminds me of a favorite Groucho Marx quote,"when choosing between two evils I always pick the one I haven't tried before."

I bet I can find battery connectable cigarettelighters with inline fuses at an auto parts store.
 
Just last night I finished installing a fuzeblock on my CB and connected Denali driving lights, my GPS power cord, and the battery tender leads to it. Put it and all the bundled up excess wires in the glove box above the battery. Its quite stuffed with wires, but there was not any depth elsewhere like under the seat to hide it, which is where I usually put it on my other bikes.

There was no need to install a cigarette lighter type plug since I had the fuzeblock. If anyone wants to put a cigarette type plug on their handlebars, there are ones sold on ebay for around $12-$15.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Just last night I finished installing a fuzeblock on my CB and connected Denali driving lights, my GPS power cord, and the battery tender leads to it. Put it and all the bundled up excess wires in the glove box above the battery. Its quite stuffed with wires, but there was not any depth elsewhere like under the seat to hide it, which is where I usually put it on my other bikes.

There was no need to install a cigarette lighter type plug since I had the fuzeblock. If anyone wants to put a cigarette type plug on their handlebars, there are ones sold on ebay for around $12-$15.
Classic, can I see how your Denali install came out? Love to see some pics sir.

Thanks.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Currently there are no known accessories for either of the accessory connectors. If you want to use them you have to cut the wires or de-pin the connector, or chase down a mate for it. They are Hitachi connectors and somewhere on this site is a link to a source.

I THINK they are 10amp fused, but I'll have to check. The wires look a mite small to me for 10 amps.

You could just run some(fused) wires back to the battery for a Powerlet outlet or cigarette style outlet.
Popgun, isn't the one in the headlight used by factory heated grips? Or did I dream that?

I've used it to power a cigarette lighter power outlet which I have mounted on the bars.
 
I hope to be able to take some pics tomorrow. Right now the bike is still strapped to the service stand, and there's not a lot of room to maneuver to take a photo, and I'll need my son to help me take it off the stand.

I mounted the black Denali Micro lights down low on the gloss black engine bars I had put on. I used Twisted Throttle's own bar mount kit. As I see it, there are two ways to route the wiring back to the battery area. One is to go straight up from the lights to just behind and above the oil cooler, then to the rear under the tank. I tried this route first but felt the wires would be too close to the header pipes for my liking. Maybe they'd be OK, I don't know? So I wound up using a few narrow black zip ties and routed the wires under and along the lower frame and followed the frame up to and behind the side covers and into the above the battery storage bin. The one dicey spot is as you near the chain, not much room to avoid the chain.

Everything is black and down low- the lights, the frame, the wires, the zip ties, so hopefully its minimally noticeable if at all. We'll see when I get it outdoors in the sunlight.

I did fish the wires for the Denali ON/OFF switch and the GPS power under the tank, but they of course, end at the handlebars so it was the best route. You just remove the one bolt holding the rear of the tank down and you can raise and prop the tank with a block of wood about 4 or 5 inches high while you work the wires.
 
Cormanus, I used to think it was and posted as such. But I read the installation instructions on this site: http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx and it shows plugging the harness into a black connector. Located on the left side of the bike by the battery/side cover and in a protective boot.
southwend_imp said:
Probably the simplest solution is the wire to the battery. Plus with a lighter style plug in, the circuit is only closed when something is in it.

Popgun your "fork in the road" reminds me of a favorite Groucho Marx quote,"when choosing between two evils I always pick the one I haven't tried before."

I bet I can find battery connectable cigarettelighters with inline fuses at an auto parts store.
My quote is attributed to Yogi Berra
 
Back
Top