Automatic chain oilers?

4 Paws_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Anybody use an automatic chain oiling system on their CB?
Which one?
Money well spent? or just spent?

I'm starting to fall into the trap of adding farkels because I can, and found one that meets all the relevant criteria - expensive, functional, simple.
 
These are o-ring chains that by all reports last a LONG time. I personally would not bother with the (possible)mess or aggravation. But that's just me :)
 
Unless you're doing lots of really long rides (I.E., where you are out riding the lube interval for the chain in one go) and can't be bothered to just hit it with normal spray lube at the end of the day, then I doubt you would get much practical benefit from one of these.

You also have to locate the resivoir, run power and run the tube to the chain. I personally wouldn't bother on something like our CB's.
 
On my two one week CB trips, 2000 miles and 6 states each trip, I carried a small can of chain lube under the seat, and lubed the chains once mid week each trip, each time because I rode in the rain. They don't need constant lubrication. Being internally lubedand sealed by orings, most of the chain lube you spray on the outside is to prevent rust.
 
What The Ferret said and to add, the only thing that you are lubing are the contact points where the chain meets the sprocket. I've always used a very small amount of axle grease on two links as it will distribute.
 
In the early 70s, Kawasaki had chain oilers on the Z1/Z1a (73/74) and they dropped oil out of a reservoir onto the chain. They made a disgusting mess and kaw gave up on the idea in 75 or 76. Current chains don't need much in the way of oil and it mainly keeps them from rusting and not needed as lube as has been mentioned.
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Anybody use an automatic chain oiling system on their CB?
Which one?
Money well spent? or just spent?

I'm starting to fall into the trap of adding farkels because I can, and found one that meets all the relevant criteria - expensive, functional, simple.
I'd say it's more the latter. Chain oilers used to be popular (and relevant) in the days before sealed O-ring chains.

Given that lubrication requirements changed pretty drastically with O-ring chains, putting an oiler on now would be more like adding a retro looking accessory than a functional farkle (with the downside that it will make an unnecessary mess).
 
Thread starter
Toddman_imp said:
What The Ferret said and to add, the only thing that you are lubing are the contact points where the chain meets the sprocket. I've always used a very small amount of axle grease on two links as it will distribute.
Interesting idea, first I've heard of that. Will give it a try.
 
I believe that simply cleaning the crud off the chain on a regular basis does as much if not more in maintaining the chain as lubing it. I just wish it was less hassle.
 
Has anyone given any thought to a belt conversion kit like the Harleys? The only two things I miss from my Harley is the self cancelling turn signals and the belt drive:P

ralph
 
Carguy1959_imp said:
Yea the self cancelling turn signals, I really miss. You would think that would be on all new bikes.
Yup. I kinda can't believe they aren't. My 1981 XJ650 Yamaha had them and they worked great. Then they basically disappeared from Japanese bikes. It's not exactly the hardest tech to come up with.
 
i wouldn't mind a belt rather than a chain, but...
i am not a fan of self canceling turn signals.
i bypassed the self cancel feature on my sportster.
 
DJS_imp said:
i wouldn't mind a belt rather than a chain, but...
i am not a fan of self canceling turn signals.
i bypassed the self cancel feature on my sportster.
Thats interesting, (you just know I'm going to ask) why:D

ralph
 
Ralph_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
i wouldn't mind a belt rather than a chain, but...
i am not a fan of self canceling turn signals.
i bypassed the self cancel feature on my sportster.
Thats interesting, (you just know I'm going to ask) why:D

ralph
Thats interesting, (you just know I'm going to ask) why:D

ralph
short answer , not calibrated well enough.
long answer..
to me the time the turn signal was on wasn't long enough.
i found many times that i pressed the turn signal and that it self cancelled before i actually turned.
the fix for the issue was to hold the signal button down longer before release or pay attention to when it turned off and turn it back on.
i almost always remember to cancel the turn signal after a turn no mater what cycle i am on.
most of the time i forget to cancel is if something breaks the normal flow (like paying attention to a car that might do something stupid)
on the CB i hit the turn signal cancel button as i am riding just in case.
on the sporty i will check the signal indicators to see if on, or hit right , left left. (that combo ensures the signals are off)

thats if you are referring to the turn signals.
if you are asking about the belt, then thats a different answer all together...;)
 
DJS_imp said:
Ralph_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
i wouldn't mind a belt rather than a chain, but...
i am not a fan of self canceling turn signals.
i bypassed the self cancel feature on my sportster.
Thats interesting, (you just know I'm going to ask) why:D

ralph
Thats interesting, (you just know I'm going to ask) why:D

ralph
short answer , not calibrated well enough.
long answer..
to me the time the turn signal was on wasn't long enough.
i found many times that i pressed the turn signal and that it self cancelled before i actually turned.
the fix for the issue was to hold the signal button down longer before release or pay attention to when it turned off and turn it back on.
i almost always remember to cancel the turn signal after a turn no mater what cycle i am on.
most of the time i forget to cancel is if something breaks the normal flow (like paying attention to a car that might do something stupid)
on the CB i hit the turn signal cancel button as i am riding just in case.
on the sporty i will check the signal indicators to see if on, or hit right , left left. (that combo ensures the signals are off)

thats if you are referring to the turn signals.
if you are asking about the belt, then thats a different answer all together...;)
Thats interesting, (you just know I'm going to ask) why:D

ralph
short answer , not calibrated well enough.
long answer..
to me the time the turn signal was on wasn't long enough.
i found many times that i pressed the turn signal and that it self cancelled before i actually turned.
the fix for the issue was to hold the signal button down longer before release or pay attention to when it turned off and turn it back on.
i almost always remember to cancel the turn signal after a turn no mater what cycle i am on.
most of the time i forget to cancel is if something breaks the normal flow (like paying attention to a car that might do something stupid)
on the CB i hit the turn signal cancel button as i am riding just in case.
on the sporty i will check the signal indicators to see if on, or hit right , left left. (that combo ensures the signals are off)

thats if you are referring to the turn signals.
if you are asking about the belt, then thats a different answer all together...;)
Ah, got it. I guess I've been fortunate. My Sportster is a 2013 and the turn signals have been flawless. When I apply them, they stay on until I turn the corner and cancel when the bike is in the upright position again. If I apply them, say getting on the freeway, they will stay on for about 1/2 mile and then cancel.

I can see where if they didn't work right it would be very irritating:D

ralph
 
Ralph_imp said:
Has anyone given any thought to a belt conversion kit like the Harleys? The only two things I miss from my Harley is the self cancelling turn signals and the belt drive:P

ralph
Ralph, About the belt drive....I have a Honda Magna 750C in addition to my CB1100. An established company (forget name) marketed a belt conversion for the Magna and the reports I saw were on the order of that is was a disaster...bearings wore out quickly, belts tore up, and a short list of other problems presented themselves.
Only saying.
Bob in North Carolina
 
On my W800 I use a chain Scot Oiler, 'cause I had it left over from my W650.
It sometimes work, but I'm not really happy with it. You have to fill it up
with special oil each season, mainly in summer and wintertime.
The worst thing about it is, that it couldn't prevent the chain from running dry
during long rain trips causing some rumble in the secondary drive, which sometimes
may happen on holiday tours.

So I left this kind of automatic oiler out on the CB and instead of it, I lube the
chain with some spray of choice, whenever I feel it is necessary. I also use the spray
on my W in addition to the Scotty, to keep rust away after rain trips and in the wintertime,
'cause my bikes park outside being only protected by a breath active cover
but without a garage or carport.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top