At a Loss for words.

Strangeone, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you are OK. As others have said, bikes are replaceable; you're not.
 
Thread starter
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok, I've said my sympathetic piece (heartfelt) and meant it. Machines are just that, worthless pieces of 'stuff'.

Having ruminated on this for a few hours I'd be keen to suggest the rider for one, but ALL OF US re-assess our riding technique and look for ways to sharpen them.

I'm a rider with nearly 30 years riding experience under my belt, most of which was legal and on road.

I worked as an instructor and learnt as I taught.

I do believe Keith Code and his California Race School offer a lot of good advice that ALL should pay attention to.

Accidents are often avoidable if we don't get sucked into 'target fixation' which is the main cause of single vehicle bike accidents.

The OP stated that he 'sat the bike up' which seems to be the cause of many crashes. Sometimes 'looking where you want to go' prevents 'going where you look'!

I don't want to appear harsh, I've just seen many avoidable accident from poor planning (for the worst case scenario..as the police ride) or target fixation.

Maybe I should start a new thread to keep this poor guy out of it?
Thank you you for the heartfelt words, as for these; yes it is one more experience that will sit with me for as long as I continue to ride. The sitting the bike up was a Knee-jerk reaction to seeing the SUV partially in my lane on a tight corner. And yes I knew the mistake as soon as it was made.

Target Acquisition is such an important piece; looking for where you want to go. I believe that is what saved my life. (though, i am still wondering if i could have found a better spot. :(
Thank you to all who have posted your support. I have to say always remember your PPE, Personal Protective Equipment. Maybe take a refresher riders safety course. you are never too old or too wise.
Insurance is totaling the bike as the head tube (or neck) was damaged and requires the whole frame to be replaced. Outside of that the damage was very minor.
And yes I am looking at a newer 2014 model. I have already contacted the dealership to see about placing the order...
... hopefully this one will last longer. Again, thank you everyone.
 
Sounds like the description of a good landing in Naval terms. If you can walk away from it; you're good. :)

In all my get offs I see things I could have done differently. The hard part is remembering them and applying them the next time things go wrong again. After all, what's the use in surviving these things if you can't learn from them?

On the other hand, that is the most drastic and imaginative way to get out of a 2013 and into a 2014. Props to you! :worship:

:angel:
 
I am so sorry, this accident sucks; a pure nightmare! But I am glad that you are physically ok (emotionally, I imagine you are suffering of losing your bike). Wish you good luck with the insurance and as Rboe said....perhaps it was good for a 2014 model.

I’ll pick up mine tomorrow…and learning from your story I’ll wear full safety gear
 
Hindsight is 20/20, was there a better option? maybe, maybe not....you had less then 20/20 one hundredth of a second to decide, glad you're okay....:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Good News, My insurance came through and i will be picking up my new 2013 CB1100 this Friday. - This time I plan to keep it on the road!!! :cool:
 
strangeone78_imp said:
Good News, My insurance came through and i will be picking up my new 2013 CB1100 this Friday. - This time I plan to keep it on the road!!! :cool:
Good plan :thumbsup:
 
great to get back on, may take a while to build confidence back up.
I think my Progressive insurance has Total Cost replacement for the CB if it gets totaled too, they buy you a new one, not give you what KBB shows as its worth.
 
I hax something similar happen to me when I bought my first 93 750 nighthawk. I had it for 8 days and totalled it I an odd low speed crash in a parking lot. The killer was breaking 3 of the fins off the head, otherwise it wouldn't have been that bad.
I'm glad you got it replaced. Now go have fun and be safe!
 
Good news, Strangeone. Enjoy the new bike. Again.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok, I've said my sympathetic piece (heartfelt) and meant it. Machines are just that, worthless pieces of 'stuff'.

Having ruminated on this for a few hours I'd be keen to suggest the rider for one, but ALL OF US re-assess our riding technique and look for ways to sharpen them.

I'm a rider with nearly 30 years riding experience under my belt, most of which was legal and on road.

I worked as an instructor and learnt as I taught.

I do believe Keith Code and his California Race School offer a lot of good advice that ALL should pay attention to.

Accidents are often avoidable if we don't get sucked into 'target fixation' which is the main cause of single vehicle bike accidents.

The OP stated that he 'sat the bike up' which seems to be the cause of many crashes. Sometimes 'looking where you want to go' prevents 'going where you look'!

I don't want to appear harsh, I've just seen many avoidable accident from poor planning (for the worst case scenario..as the police ride) or target fixation.

Maybe I should start a new thread to keep this poor guy out of it?
Yes, you should. Let's harp, hammer, and shame people into taking closed-course schools. Oddly enough, Tortuga and I have been riding exactly the same number of years, 30. I have never had such an accident, and I often wonder why. However when I truly assess the reasons, it all adds up to training and experience.

Yes, there are situations that just have no out. But as Tortuga says, the vast majority of these accidents are just "incidents along the way" for certain riders who have the instantaneous skillset to avoid them. I chalk mine up first to lots and lots of dirt riding, rear-wheel steering, learning to really slide both ends of the bike and judge traction under braking as well as acceleration; and second, to thousands of miles of track time after doing a lot of reputable schools.

That ****e starts to come in as "muscle memory" after a few years.

All that said, anyone of us can go out tomorrow and eat ****e, regardless of all the schools, dirt riding, and track days in the world.

But the odds are much more in our favor with training. We are operating a machine, and the more skillful we are, the less likely to have a problem. That's not ego, it's just factual.

I been trying to get my neighbor to go to a track day for a long time, and he just won't have anything to do with it. It scares him.

Lemme say I would rather be on a racetrack with everyone going the same direction and no SUVs coming over the yellow than trying to "hone my skills" on the local winding road. Sure, you might have someone give you a close shave, but even if you fall down you most likely won't get hurt.

I was at a couple of track days last weekend and saw three accidents. All three riders walked away, no problems. The ambulance never rolled.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. The ambulance and paramedics are on-site. Try that on your favorite mountain road.

I have taught scores of new riders to ride on the racetrack and have a good sense of what it's all about. Every one of them came away a better rider.

So please, ride defensively, don't ride in a hurry, and get all the training you can. A racetrack is a hell of a lot safer than a public road.
 
+1. I spent about 3 years club racing and that did more for honing my skills than anything else. You quickly learn to ride a bike to its limits (in a relatively safe environment), which translates into great accident avoidance skills on the road.

Ever since then I've never felt the need to go all out on the street. It's a pretty poor substitute for a good road course.
 
Thread starter
strangeone78_imp said:
Good News, My insurance came through and i will be picking up my new 2013 CB1100 this Friday. - This time I plan to keep it on the road!!! :cool:
I got it, rode it all weekend. still an awesome bike. VIN #100
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok, I've said my sympathetic piece (heartfelt) and meant it. Machines are just that, worthless pieces of 'stuff'.

Having ruminated on this for a few hours I'd be keen to suggest the rider for one, but ALL OF US re-assess our riding technique and look for ways to sharpen them.

I'm a rider with nearly 30 years riding experience under my belt, most of which was legal and on road.

I worked as an instructor and learnt as I taught.

I do believe Keith Code and his California Race School offer a lot of good advice that ALL should pay attention to.

Accidents are often avoidable if we don't get sucked into 'target fixation' which is the main cause of single vehicle bike accidents.

The OP stated that he 'sat the bike up' which seems to be the cause of many crashes. Sometimes 'looking where you want to go' prevents 'going where you look'!

I don't want to appear harsh, I've just seen many avoidable accident from poor planning (for the worst case scenario..as the police ride) or target fixation.

Maybe I should start a new thread to keep this poor guy out of it?
Yes, you should. Let's harp, hammer, and shame people into taking closed-course schools. Oddly enough, Tortuga and I have been riding exactly the same number of years, 30. I have never had such an accident, and I often wonder why. However when I truly assess the reasons, it all adds up to training and experience.

Yes, there are situations that just have no out. But as Tortuga says, the vast majority of these accidents are just "incidents along the way" for certain riders who have the instantaneous skillset to avoid them. I chalk mine up first to lots and lots of dirt riding, rear-wheel steering, learning to really slide both ends of the bike and judge traction under braking as well as acceleration; and second, to thousands of miles of track time after doing a lot of reputable schools.

That ****e starts to come in as "muscle memory" after a few years.

All that said, anyone of us can go out tomorrow and eat ****e, regardless of all the schools, dirt riding, and track days in the world.

But the odds are much more in our favor with training. We are operating a machine, and the more skillful we are, the less likely to have a problem. That's not ego, it's just factual.

I been trying to get my neighbor to go to a track day for a long time, and he just won't have anything to do with it. It scares him.

Lemme say I would rather be on a racetrack with everyone going the same direction and no SUVs coming over the yellow than trying to "hone my skills" on the local winding road. Sure, you might have someone give you a close shave, but even if you fall down you most likely won't get hurt.

I was at a couple of track days last weekend and saw three accidents. All three riders walked away, no problems. The ambulance never rolled.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. The ambulance and paramedics are on-site. Try that on your favorite mountain road.

I have taught scores of new riders to ride on the racetrack and have a good sense of what it's all about. Every one of them came away a better rider.

So please, ride defensively, don't ride in a hurry, and get all the training you can. A racetrack is a hell of a lot safer than a public road.
Yes, you should. Let's harp, hammer, and shame people into taking closed-course schools. Oddly enough, Tortuga and I have been riding exactly the same number of years, 30. I have never had such an accident, and I often wonder why. However when I truly assess the reasons, it all adds up to training and experience.

Yes, there are situations that just have no out. But as Tortuga says, the vast majority of these accidents are just "incidents along the way" for certain riders who have the instantaneous skillset to avoid them. I chalk mine up first to lots and lots of dirt riding, rear-wheel steering, learning to really slide both ends of the bike and judge traction under braking as well as acceleration; and second, to thousands of miles of track time after doing a lot of reputable schools.

That ****e starts to come in as "muscle memory" after a few years.

All that said, anyone of us can go out tomorrow and eat ****e, regardless of all the schools, dirt riding, and track days in the world.

But the odds are much more in our favor with training. We are operating a machine, and the more skillful we are, the less likely to have a problem. That's not ego, it's just factual.

I been trying to get my neighbor to go to a track day for a long time, and he just won't have anything to do with it. It scares him.

Lemme say I would rather be on a racetrack with everyone going the same direction and no SUVs coming over the yellow than trying to "hone my skills" on the local winding road. Sure, you might have someone give you a close shave, but even if you fall down you most likely won't get hurt.

I was at a couple of track days last weekend and saw three accidents. All three riders walked away, no problems. The ambulance never rolled.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing. The ambulance and paramedics are on-site. Try that on your favorite mountain road.

I have taught scores of new riders to ride on the racetrack and have a good sense of what it's all about. Every one of them came away a better rider.

So please, ride defensively, don't ride in a hurry, and get all the training you can. A racetrack is a hell of a lot safer than a public road.
Well said, that man!
Flynrider_imp said:
+1. I spent about 3 years club racing and that did more for honing my skills than anything else. You quickly learn to ride a bike to its limits (in a relatively safe environment), which translates into great accident avoidance skills on the road.

Ever since then I've never felt the need to go all out on the street. It's a pretty poor substitute for a good road course.
Quite right, there's a 'time and a place' for everything.
strangeone78_imp said:
strangeone78_imp said:
Good News, My insurance came through and i will be picking up my new 2013 CB1100 this Friday. - This time I plan to keep it on the road!!! :cool:
I got it, rode it all weekend. still an awesome bike. VIN #100
I got it, rode it all weekend. still an awesome bike. VIN #100
It all worked out good in the end then, and great to get to lucky number too. Rock on, be safe.
 
Back
Top