At a Loss for words.

strangeone78_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Two weeks ago I picked up my 2013 CB1100. I took this bike out all weekend. I loved it. I enjoyed it. was one of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden.

Well the Wednesday after I bought it was a beautiful day. I decided to drive it into work. Half way there I realized I needed gas and jumped off the interstate to an area I am unfamiliar with other than I know there is a gas station. I was rounding a turn and to my dismay there was a SUV over the middle lane. My thoughts "This is gonna SUCK!" I am in the middle of a turn and have no choice but to stand the bike up to miss the SUV. I try to get back into the lean before it was too late but it was not.
I saw a grassy area immediately to the right with no trees and knowing I am about to lay my bike down decided to try and guide it there. The bad part of this, there was a really BIG rock; you can even call it a boulder, in this grassy patch that I did not see. I came in full contact with the rock.
The good news I was wearing all the right safety gear and was able to walk away with only scrapes and bruises. And yeah that rock knocked me upside the head so hard I got knocked out, so I didn’t even have to feel the pain until later.
I got checked out at the local hospital and no major damage to me. On the other hand, I didn’t even have my CB1100 a full week and insurance is telling me it is a total loss.
We will see if the money from insurance will allow me to get a new one of if I am out of luck. I will keep you posted.

 
Man that sooo sucks! Glad you had the right gear on though, walking away is good! Hopefully the insurance will be good to you.
 
Oh man, I'm so sorry. That's just everyone's worst nightmare.

The important thing is YOU are ok!

Bikes are always replaceable. You sir, are not.

I hope you feel better about it soon, and just chalk it up as a 'lucky miss' rather than a 'total loss'!:-/
 
Glad you're ok!

Most insurance policies these days will cover a new bike, especially since yours is virtually brand-new. I wouldn't settle for anything less; why the hell else would you get insurance except to cover a loss like this?

Next time order the SMES...save that bump on the head.
 
Glad you are ok! and the feeling of getting knocked out for a few seconds is a scary experience. I low sided my other bike 5 weeks ago and also got knocked out by hitting my head on concrete but thankfully We are still here to talk about and learn from it. Wishing you a quick full physical recovery.
 
So glad that you're OK. Get back in the saddle soon.

If it's any consolation, other than the broken pieces, the bike looks pretty good even covered in mud. I may have to do a scrambler conversion rather than a cafe conversion. ;)
 
Well, that's not good. It's not a dirt bike ya know.

Man, hurts to look at those pictures.

Like others have said when it comes down to it a motorcycle is just a replaceable conglomeration of metal, rubber and plastic which can easily be replaced.

You on the other hand, flesh, bone and blood..not so easily replaced.

Sucks that it happened, but thankfully you didn't hit that SUV head on, which is a losing proposition all the way around.

hey I hear the 2014 DLXs are special motorcycles ;)
 
The most important thing is you are alive and will recover. Honda is making bikes every day and money will replace it. Hope the driver stopped, helped and was held responsible.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Good thing is you are alive and OK! Also good thing that maybe you´ll be able to look into 2014 models..hey they are six speed etc. etc.!
 
Glad you're ok, Strange!

Sounds like your skill and experience got you out of a bad situation with your life in tact. That could have been tragic instead of merely sucking.

Sorry about the motorcycle. Insurance will come through and you'll be back on the road in no time.
 
Ok, I've said my sympathetic piece (heartfelt) and meant it. Machines are just that, worthless pieces of 'stuff'.

Having ruminated on this for a few hours I'd be keen to suggest the rider for one, but ALL OF US re-assess our riding technique and look for ways to sharpen them.

I'm a rider with nearly 30 years riding experience under my belt, most of which was legal and on road.

I worked as an instructor and learnt as I taught.

I do believe Keith Code and his California Race School offer a lot of good advice that ALL should pay attention to.

Accidents are often avoidable if we don't get sucked into 'target fixation' which is the main cause of single vehicle bike accidents.

The OP stated that he 'sat the bike up' which seems to be the cause of many crashes. Sometimes 'looking where you want to go' prevents 'going where you look'!

I don't want to appear harsh, I've just seen many avoidable accident from poor planning (for the worst case scenario..as the police ride) or target fixation.

Maybe I should start a new thread to keep this poor guy out of it?
 
Man...... sorry to hear about that. I know that has got to hurt your feelings having only had the bike for such as short time. That YOU are alright IS what matters! I got knocked out for a short time once when I was young in a parking lot accident. Scary indeed!
Good luck with the insurance.
 
Strange...wow, bad story. I'm glad you walked away essentially ok. You were very, very fortunate. I'm sure your skill as a rider helped create your 'luck' and I hope you are able to hold the offending driver accountable. Good luck...motorcycles are a dime a dozen...your life is not.
 
Glad you're okay, man! I hope the financial stuff works out okay and you're back on the road again.
 
Back
Top