Anyone ride or own the new CRF450L?

riggies_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I’ve been anticipating this bike for a long time, and while the price is somewhat high I am contemplating making the purchase for my new dual sport.

Wondering if any of the nice Honda fellas here have any experience with it? My concern is buying anything during its first model year, but I really don’t want to wait for another year plus. How do you longtime Honda guys feel about that concern? Can I trust the R&D without seeing some longer term reports?
I should mention I am in the USA so the bike will not be corked up for the Euro4 regulations (25 hp on a machine that costs that much is pretty annoying in my opinion) which seems to be a non starter for a lot of folks overseas. That being said, most people I see using it as a true dual sport/light adv bike are in Europe or Asia
 
I would also be apprehensive to purchase a first model year, never know what kind of bugs it has if any. All the reviews I have seen/read paint the bike in a very good way. Have you dove into the forum at ADVRider yet? Wealth of knowledge/opinions over there.

HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD
 
From the reviews on youtube, it's a plated enduro, not a true dual sport. Much shorter maintenance intervals, very dirt orientated - good if you want that. Not so good if want an easy to live with dual sport.

Perfect if you want a dirt bike with plates to get you from dirt trail to dirt trail.

If you get one I want to hear all about.
 
Thread starter
I will probably end up getting one so I’ll probably post if anyone is interested. I’m not scared of maintenance intervals, I’m not one that takes off on long epic rides maybe a couple nights camping here and there. I need a plate for the forest service roads and some Blue Ridge Parkway time in between trails.
 
If dual sport/light adventure is your thing, then there's the KLR 650. Yeah, it's 140 lbs heavier. But it's $4k cheaper, has a 6 gallon tank, and has the most aftermarket support of any bike in the world. $4,000 will buy a lot of farkles.

I have a Suzuki DRZ400E. With a street kit, it only weighs 25 lbs more than the new CRF450L. I've had it on everything from single track to interstate. Single track--a bit of a handful. Interstate--sucks. Fire roads, UTV trails, desert rides--an absolute blast. With a big Acerbis tank and a rack, I can even camp. Anyhoo...picked it up last year for a little over $2K. It's been bullet proof. $10K is a lot to put on a new dirt bike. Prolly more than you spent on your CB1100. If it's your thing, go for it. My thoughts are that you can get 90% of the bike for way less cash, and use all the "extra" money on gear, trips, and food. YMMV.
 
All the reviews seem to indicate that the CRF really is the best way to get somewhere and still have tons of fun in the dirt once you’re there. It does 75-80 on the highway happily and with great stability, and still does a fine job on everything from single track to sand dunes. One of the guys from Adeventure Spec just did a couple thousand k trip on one down in Africa and posted a vid of his take on the (euro restricted) bike.
 
Rboe_imp said:
From the reviews on youtube, it's a plated enduro, not a true dual sport. Much shorter maintenance intervals, very dirt orientated - good if you want that. Not so good if want an easy to live with dual sport.

Perfect if you want a dirt bike with plates to get you from dirt trail to dirt trail.

If you get one I want to hear all about.
Ditto.
 
The older I get the more I say "buy it" if you can afford it. We regret more what we don't do than what we did. Life is short, go for the brass ring. It's not like owing a bike is all that practical. :)

Never understood why the KLR was so popular. It's a heavy pig, has bits in the motor that seem prone to early failure (chain driven counter balancer anyone) and some other niggles. I went for the light weight of the 650L, but the DR650 would have been an excellent choice (a buddy, now 79, has one - several over the years, and has ridden the snot out of it). Oh well. It's not the first thing the masses have done that had me scratching my head. :D
 
Also don’t understand the KLR craze. If you’re gonna settle for something that heavy might as well get a bit more performance out of it. I guess it comes down to cost. Also have never owned one so should prob keep my trap shut. For my money I’d go with the DR
 
Rboe_imp said:
The older I get the more I say "buy it" if you can afford it. We regret more what we don't do than what we did. Life is short, go for the brass ring. It's not like owing a bike is all that practical. :)

Never understood why the KLR was so popular. It's a heavy pig, has bits in the motor that seem prone to early failure (chain driven counter balancer anyone) and some other niggles. I went for the light weight of the 650L, but the DR650 would have been an excellent choice (a buddy, now 79, has one - several over the years, and has ridden the snot out of it). Oh well. It's not the first thing the masses have done that had me scratching my head. :D
Yep. It's the motorcycle version of a Jeep. There are lots of other vehicles out there which are better in one way or another. When you've crawled through Moab, camped high in the Uintas, and plowed snow so your neighbor can get out, you start to really like Jeeps...
 
riggies_imp said:
I’ve been anticipating this bike for a long time, and while the price is somewhat high I am contemplating making the purchase for my new dual sport.

Wondering if any of the nice Honda fellas here have any experience with it? My concern is buying anything during its first model year, but I really don’t want to wait for another year plus. How do you longtime Honda guys feel about that concern? Can I trust the R&D without seeing some longer term reports?
I should mention I am in the USA so the bike will not be corked up for the Euro4 regulations (25 hp on a machine that costs that much is pretty annoying in my opinion) which seems to be a non starter for a lot of folks overseas. That being said, most people I see using it as a true dual sport/light adv bike are in Europe or Asia
while you're mulling over the 450L, you should also check out the KTM & Beta.
not saying they're better or worse, but ...knowledge is king.

there's a free KTM demo ride coming up on 3/23 in morgantown, NC.
sign up, go there, and you get to ride all their bikes for free, and come home w/ some swag, and in the past, they give you a $500 or $1000 coupon to apply on purchase of new KTm.

https://www.ktm.com/us/events/us/offroad-demo-Morganton/

and Beta's heading out east:
Beta USA Demo Tour has four more locations now
open for registration:
Alexander, Arkansas (Carter Off-Road Park) / 2-23-19
Lynnville, Tennessee (Wooly's Off-Road Club) / 3-2-19
Tallassee, Alabama (Monster Mountain MX Park) / 3-16-19
Union Point, Georgia (Durhamtown Off Road Resort) / 3-23-19

https://www.betausa.com/sites/default/files/Beta Demo Tour Update.pdf
 
I think Honda wants a little too much $$$$ for the 450L. I just bought a spotless "ridden once" 2016 450X for $4,500.

If you want to spend the money, I would go with a KTM 500 EXC-F over the 450L. For $1,200 more, you get the top dog in this segment. Or just wait awhile for a used unit. I find the millennials like the idea of riding, but not the realities of it.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
I think Honda wants a little too much $$$$ for the 450L. I just bought a spotless "ridden once" 2016 450X for $4,500.

If you want to spend the money, I would go with a KTM 500 EXC-F over the 450L. For $1,200 more, you get the top dog in this segment. Or just wait awhile for a used unit. I find the millennials like the idea of riding, but not the realities of it.
Yeah, the concept of paying full price for a brand new bike is crazy to me. I mean, I get it, if you have the money for it. But I don’t have the money for almost any new bike, and I buy everything with cash, so I don’t get it lol. So many great deals out there for barely used, broken in, well maintained bikes.
 
Thread starter
I ordered one. Should be on it in two weeks. Can’t freaking wait.
And while I appreciate the advice, KTM or Husky, even though I thought about it and even went to a dealer to work out a deal I just really wanted to own this new Honda for the type of riding I do. I’m looking forward forming my own opinions on the bike instead of hearing about it from the Internet echo chamber over at a certain adventure bike focused forum.
 
riggies_imp said:
I ordered one. Should be on it in two weeks. Can’t freaking wait.
And while I appreciate the advice, KTM or Husky, even though I thought about it and even went to a dealer to work out a deal I just really wanted to own this new Honda for the type of riding I do. I’m looking forward forming my own opinions on the bike instead of hearing about it from the Internet echo chamber over at a certain adventure bike focused forum.
SWEET!! :thumbsup:
 
Good deal riggies. Can't wait for pics and a first ride report.
 
Back
Top