Anyone installed HID headlights yet?

12cb96vfr_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Had a close call with a texting driver today and I want to make my bike more visible.

I guess riding in hi-vis gear, with my high beams on, in broad daylight didn't help....so now I want to make my headlights like the sun!:D

I tried searching but came up blank, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
 
Got a couple auxiliary trailtech HIDs installed on two sides on the crashbars ..they do a pretty good job making us more visible to others and providing us more visibility too...
 
Wakes them up fast. I installed in Dec and won't be without one again. Remember you can turn it off by turning off the high beam. I think they think it is the police so it grabs their attention.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Wakes them up fast. I installed in Dec and won't be without one again. Remember you can turn it off by turning off the high beam. I think they think it is the police so it grabs their attention.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I came up fast on a guy by accident and, with my modulator swinging the light between high and low beam, it too him aback. After realizing I wasn't a cop, he gestured with his arms, "What's up?" as in, "Why are you flashing your brights at me?" :blush:
 
treytexag_imp said:

I ordered a pair of Darlas from Glenn (company founder) when they were in Orlando for the AIM show. He sent me the [url=https://www.clearwaterlights.com//downloads/Darla%20Universal%20v1.pdf]Universal Kit which probably would mount fine on the fender bolts, but I mounted them on the frame with brackets I made.

My pictures show where I mounted the dimmer. The light system works fantastically well when installed according to the manual. The lights are on all the time. With low beams you can adjust the intensity using the dimmer. With high beams it’s torch time.

I got the Darla Slip on Cover, which comes with clear and amber lenses. I like to use the amber during the day but it’s easy to pop them off and into the tank bag come nightfall.

Glenn has done a great job engineering this system. What seems a simple dimmer actually requires lots of electronical stuff, and the light cases, lenses and hardware are high quality. I did fancy the polished stainless bezels, but decided not to splurge on them.

Funny coincidence about Glenn: My brother lives in his town in California and his brother lives in my town in Florida. Some kind of weird space time / wormhole / parallel universe cross connection.





 
Greg_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:

I ordered a pair of Darlas from Glenn (company founder) when they were in Orlando for the AIM show. He sent me the [url=https://www.clearwaterlights.com//downloads/Darla%20Universal%20v1.pdf]Universal Kit which probably would mount fine on the fender bolts, but I mounted them on the frame with brackets I made.

My pictures show where I mounted the dimmer. The light system works fantastically well when installed according to the manual. The lights are on all the time. With low beams you can adjust the intensity using the dimmer. With high beams it’s torch time.

I got the Darla Slip on Cover, which comes with clear and amber lenses. I like to use the amber during the day but it’s easy to pop them off and into the tank bag come nightfall.

Glenn has done a great job engineering this system. What seems a simple dimmer actually requires lots of electronical stuff, and the light cases, lenses and hardware are high quality. I did fancy the polished stainless bezels, but decided not to splurge on them.

Funny coincidence about Glenn: My brother lives in his town in California and his brother lives in my town in Florida. Some kind of weird space time / wormhole / parallel universe cross connection.







I ordered a pair of Darlas from Glenn (company founder) when they were in Orlando for the AIM show. He sent me the [url=https://www.clearwaterlights.com//downloads/Darla%20Universal%20v1.pdf]Universal Kit which probably would mount fine on the fender bolts, but I mounted them on the frame with brackets I made.

My pictures show where I mounted the dimmer. The light system works fantastically well when installed according to the manual. The lights are on all the time. With low beams you can adjust the intensity using the dimmer. With high beams it’s torch time.

I got the Darla Slip on Cover, which comes with clear and amber lenses. I like to use the amber during the day but it’s easy to pop them off and into the tank bag come nightfall.

Glenn has done a great job engineering this system. What seems a simple dimmer actually requires lots of electronical stuff, and the light cases, lenses and hardware are high quality. I did fancy the polished stainless bezels, but decided not to splurge on them.

Funny coincidence about Glenn: My brother lives in his town in California and his brother lives in my town in Florida. Some kind of weird space time / wormhole / parallel universe cross connection.






Greg - WOW, that is a most excellent looking install. Very similar to what I'd like to do. I LOVE how clean your install on the frame down low on custom mounts looks!

Would you mind getting some close up down low shots of the bracket / mount you built left and right? I'm guessing L and R mounts are not "symetrical" - is that correct?

Anyway, you did a real nice install job on the Darla's. If you could, I'd sure appreciate some close up pics of the mount you fabricated. If I can't make them myself, I have a friend who could assist. As an aside - looks like they're hard mounted - is it safe to say there is no more issue or concern with vibration there on the frame than on the forks down low?

Greg - thanks alot for posting up - really nice install sir. . . .
 
Those lights are REALLY nice and you did a great job of installing, but man they really like them...$500.

I have a hard time justifying a pair of lights that cost 10% of the worth of my motorcycle.

Of course what is the value of being seen, maybe live saving....so maybe still worth it.

Thanks for the install and info.....these are on my dream list!
 
offroad, you hit the nail on the head. There are no cost considerations in my mind for safety. And of course the value to you may depend on where you ride. I'm in Houston - the west side of Houston between the Beltway and the Loop. Needless to say the area is full of distracted drivers . . . .
 
Back
Top