Anyone have experience w/ Honda 919 ?

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I remember when these bikes came out... thought they were cool- as I understand and appreciate usefulness over image. (in this case compared to full sport-bike)

I ended up never getting one...although I did own a beautiful silver ZRX1200R with muzzy pipe and jet kit.


A one owner 919 just popped up on my local area- 18k, appears to be all stock other than 2 brothers mufflers and a fly screen windshield.


Given it has fuel injection, new tires... I'm tempted.

Might be fun to source a power commander, do some airbox mods and throw it on the dyno.
 
I know that my neighbor loved his. I got the CB from him after a big wreck kept him off the bikes for awhile.


He was a super in the NYC elevator union and constantly had 3 motorcycle in rotation of anything you could think of when they came out. Man must have owned over 100 different bikes over the years I knew him alone. For him to always bring up the 919 must mean alot of how much of an impression it left on him!

If you have any specific questions I'll shoot him a text.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I rode one once. I seemed to remember it was geared really close together and required a lot of shifting. That's about all I remember about it.
 
I commuted on a stock one for a week, about half on L.A. freeways, and the only drawback I recall was that the high-mounted exhaust allowed the exhaust fumes to permeate my Aerostich suit to the point that I had to take it off and leave it in the garage after the first day.

If this seems illogical, you may recall guys riding at highway speeds in T-shirts that were blowing up their backs and around their shoulders.
 
Moto friend had read one with 7K miles and never heard him complaining about his bike. Rode only a few times with him
He sold her 2 years ago.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I commuted on a stock one for a week, about half on L.A. freeways, and the only drawback I recall was that the high-mounted exhaust allowed the exhaust fumes to permeate my Aerostich suit to the point that I had to take it off and leave it in the garage after the first day.

If this seems illogical, you may recall guys riding at highway speeds in T-shirts that were blowing up their backs and around their shoulders.
I had a 2004 Silver 919 that I bought new when I lived in Phoenix. I had the exact same issue. Everywhere I went my jacket smelled like gasoline and exhaust. I mean, REALLY smelled. That and it was very buzzy at 55-65 mph. So much so my hands would go numb after about 30 minutes.

f9dc1f46872ece20626e27ccf442ea4f.jpeg


It was quicker than I expected and I accidentally pulled a wheelie out of the first traffic light close to the dealer on the way home after buying it. It just pulled a lot harder than my CB900 Custom and caught me by surprise.

The riding position was fine for me 20 years ago, now though it would be too much for my arms and back. I loved the look of the bike in spite of any detraction's and still wish I had it. It was a fantastic bike in traffic. Very nimble. The new CB1000R's remind me a lot of the 919 actually. If I had the choice between those two however, I would take the CB1000R.
 
I bought a stock 2007 919 back in 2014. Only thing I added was a Corbin seat. I really liked the riding position as well as how the bike ran, handled, and looked. The catalytic converters on earlier versions emitted a rotten egg smell but that was remedied by 2007. While the high pipes looked cool they really made it difficult to use throw over bags, in fact I couldn't, so since I couldn't do much with it other than day rides I ended up selling it for something else. Now I wish I had it back. Of the standard Honda UJM type motorcycles I've owned (CB1100, CB750 Nighthawk, and 919) the 919 is the better motorcycle in most ways.

 
Ollie_imp said:
I bought a stock 2007 919 back in 2014. Only thing I added was a Corbin seat. I really liked the riding position as well as how the bike ran, handled, and looked. The catalytic converters on earlier versions emitted a rotten egg smell but that was remedied by 2007. While the high pipes looked cool they really made it difficult to use throw over bags, in fact I couldn't, so since I couldn't do much with it other than day rides I ended up selling it for something else. Now I wish I had it back. Of the standard Honda UJM type motorcycles I've owned (CB1100, CB750 Nighthawk, and 919) the 919 is the better motorcycle in most ways.



Ahhh, so that's why my jacket stunk so horribly? I took my 919 back to the dealer twice to complain and they gave me some shtick about it needing longer to break in because it was a detuned superbike engine. Obviously horse crap, but nothing I could do about it.
 
Yeah a lot of owners complained about the smell. Apparently some 919's were pretty bad while others not so much or not even at all. Honda even sent engineers over to try to figure it out. If you're old enough you might recall that same odor coming from certain cars using catalytic converters back in the late 70's and early 80's.
That motor is under stressed and will probably run forever. I hope the one PowerDubs is looking at comes with the stock mufflers as well 2brothers.
 
mine is on "long term standby", all the power, reliable, simple to repair and work on, seat is a bit hard after a while.
A lot of them crash because of the power and young rider combination, no traction control etc.
Lower triple clamp rusts easy, stainless pipes stay clear for longer than the cb1100.
Cb1000r nsc is an improvement in every way but the cb919 has never disappointed me.
Throttle body needed adjusting with the four vacuum gauges, it idled on 2 cylinders when i got it second hand.
Beware of the side stand, it is easy to push the bike forward and lose the support, it is easy to dis-engage compared to other bikes.
Hope this helps
 
Interesting comments on this bike. It's always been on my list of bikes I'm curious about. When my neighbors across the street moved in, the guy rolled one into his garage. They had a newborn son, which caused him to push the bike into a corner of the garage while he struggled deciding whether or not to hang up the helmet.
We became pretty good neighbor-friends, so of course I started to look at his 919 as a potential opportunity, and I started to research the model. Sounded pretty attractive for my style of riding, but my "fast bike" at the time was my R1200R, and by the time that bike had enough problems that I was thinking of something new, he had sold his 919.

I kept the 919 in mind when I sold the R1200R, and was weighing it with the CB1100. There was a mint, zero-mile '02 919 for sale in my neighborhood, but that came with the "brand new but now it's old" bike issues, like dry rubber, tires, etc. Went with the CB1100 and am very happy with it. And now, hearing comments about the high pipes stinking up your gear makes the 1100 a better choice. I keep my jackets in a rack in the closet, and Mrs. G woudn't approve of her clothes smelling like a motorcycle.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting comments on this bike. It's always been on my list of bikes I'm curious about. When my neighbors across the street moved in, the guy rolled one into his garage. They had a newborn son, which caused him to push the bike into a corner of the garage while he struggled deciding whether or not to hang up the helmet.
We became pretty good neighbor-friends, so of course I started to look at his 919 as a potential opportunity, and I started to research the model. Sounded pretty attractive for my style of riding, but my "fast bike" at the time was my R1200R, and by the time that bike had enough problems that I was thinking of something new, he had sold his 919.

I kept the 919 in mind when I sold the R1200R, and was weighing it with the CB1100. There was a mint, zero-mile '02 919 for sale in my neighborhood, but that came with the "brand new but now it's old" bike issues, like dry rubber, tires, etc. Went with the CB1100 and am very happy with it. And now, hearing comments about the high pipes stinking up your gear makes the 1100 a better choice. I keep my jackets in a rack in the closet, and Mrs. G woudn't approve of her clothes smelling like a motorcycle.
" ... babe, your PJs smell like half burnt gasoline."

" And Gone, ... my luv, ... and who's fault is that, and what do you want me to do about it?"

"Take 'em off." :bacon:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting comments on this bike. It's always been on my list of bikes I'm curious about. When my neighbors across the street moved in, the guy rolled one into his garage. They had a newborn son, which caused him to push the bike into a corner of the garage while he struggled deciding whether or not to hang up the helmet.
We became pretty good neighbor-friends, so of course I started to look at his 919 as a potential opportunity, and I started to research the model. Sounded pretty attractive for my style of riding, but my "fast bike" at the time was my R1200R, and by the time that bike had enough problems that I was thinking of something new, he had sold his 919.

I kept the 919 in mind when I sold the R1200R, and was weighing it with the CB1100. There was a mint, zero-mile '02 919 for sale in my neighborhood, but that came with the "brand new but now it's old" bike issues, like dry rubber, tires, etc. Went with the CB1100 and am very happy with it. And now, hearing comments about the high pipes stinking up your gear makes the 1100 a better choice. I keep my jackets in a rack in the closet, and Mrs. G woudn't approve of her clothes smelling like a motorcycle.
" ... babe, your PJs smell like half burnt gasoline."

" And Gone, ... my luv, ... and who's fault is that, and what do you want me to do about it?"

"Take 'em off." :bacon:
" ... babe, your PJs smell like half burnt gasoline."

" And Gone, ... my luv, ... and who's fault is that, and what do you want me to do about it?"

"Take 'em off." :bacon:
Nice thought, but I guarantee that’s not the scene that would take place. The bike would go, I would go, or I’d live in the garage with my bike and gear.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting comments on this bike. It's always been on my list of bikes I'm curious about. When my neighbors across the street moved in, the guy rolled one into his garage. They had a newborn son, which caused him to push the bike into a corner of the garage while he struggled deciding whether or not to hang up the helmet.
We became pretty good neighbor-friends, so of course I started to look at his 919 as a potential opportunity, and I started to research the model. Sounded pretty attractive for my style of riding, but my "fast bike" at the time was my R1200R, and by the time that bike had enough problems that I was thinking of something new, he had sold his 919.

I kept the 919 in mind when I sold the R1200R, and was weighing it with the CB1100. There was a mint, zero-mile '02 919 for sale in my neighborhood, but that came with the "brand new but now it's old" bike issues, like dry rubber, tires, etc. Went with the CB1100 and am very happy with it. And now, hearing comments about the high pipes stinking up your gear makes the 1100 a better choice. I keep my jackets in a rack in the closet, and Mrs. G woudn't approve of her clothes smelling like a motorcycle.
" ... babe, your PJs smell like half burnt gasoline."

" And Gone, ... my luv, ... and who's fault is that, and what do you want me to do about it?"

"Take 'em off." :bacon:
" ... babe, your PJs smell like half burnt gasoline."

" And Gone, ... my luv, ... and who's fault is that, and what do you want me to do about it?"

"Take 'em off." :bacon:
Nice thought, but I guarantee that’s not the scene that would take place. The bike would go, I would go, or I’d live in the garage with my bike and gear.
:thumbsup:

Start by not saying, "... you smell, dear".
 
Yeah, that wouldn't go over well.
I've always thought the look of high pipes on bikes like the 919 was really cool. Never thought about the effect of the exhaust being able to make your gear smell.
 
I bought one for my adult son ( 20 ) changed out the pipes first thing . Bike rode nice, a bit hunched over for me. The wide seat was comfortable but gave me and him a gitch in our hips. Sold it without putting on less than 500 miles on it .
 
It's *not* the high pipes, it's the type of catalytic converters, temperature, and fueling creating the rotten egg smell. I had no odor from my 2007 Honda 919 or 1997 Ducati 916, no different than a CB1100.
 
Ollie_imp said:
It's *not* the high pipes, it's the type of catalytic converters, temperature, and fueling creating the rotten egg smell. I had no odor from my 2007 Honda 919 or 1997 Ducati 916, no different than a CB1100.
Correct ++
 
Sometimes it can be new muffler baffle materials burning away, but that doesn't last longer than a week of riding.

I've only witnessed this on older bikes from the 70s and 80s.
 
Back
Top