Anyone have anything to say about the SuperHawk

dr_rock_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have been a one motorcycle guy for a few months and I was thinking of giving the CB a friend to chat with in the garage. I was thinking vtwin sportish bike. I would love to have another Duc Super Sport, but it's too cramped for height (both legs and torso). Anyone had a Super Hawk? They have a longer wheel base and I understand they make good power. They can be found for ~$2800 or so which is right around my 2nd bike budget.
 
Last I read, it's a mild RC51. And I don't think you'll find a single soul who hates the RC51. Test ride, see how you like it. It's a winner in the engine department.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
dr_rock I babysat one of these when a friend was out of town for the summer. Only took it out a couple of times
but I thought it had just great motor when riding the back roads, pick a gear any gear! In town it was a handful,
had to lug it around in 1-2 gear and you have to be a good size person with the reach to the bars.
It was one of the thirstiest bike I have ever ridden , you could empty the tank in 100 miles if you were having
fun.
 
I remember someone here had non-praise for the SuperHawk a while back.
I was surprised because time was when I really wanted one of these (but I got a BlackBird instead):

"1998 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk.
Fun bike, fast bike, beautiful bike, but fatally flawed because Honda decided that instead of a dedicated cylinder block,
they'd simply bore the cylinders into the top half of the squishy aluminum crankcase,
then add a rinky-dink later of electroplating that wore out after only 50,000 miles.
It was a wheelie monster, but that was because of the rearward weight bias, and because it was colossally undergeared.
Limp, squishy brakes, laughable fuel economy, a noisy lump of an engine, and I haven't been interested in any Honda bike since that POS, but still I love looking at the old pictures of her.
"

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=965&page=4&highlight=superhawk
 
Lol that was Calamari Chris I believe. What a piece of work he was. Thought the best bike on the planet was a W 650 Kawasaki. Wouldn't take what he said as gospel.

I believe Motogeezers buddy rides one of these with over 100,000 miles on it.
 
They are great bikes, a Japanese Ducati. Not really an RC51 lite, despite the similar engine architecture. Quite simply a Ducati SS/ Monster - esque fun machine. Ridiculously low tank range, but no great mechanical issues. My friend has one with 40k miles, and no major probs.
 
I had one for a while, my observations: Motor was great fun, tons of torque, looks good, sounded divine (deep but not too loud) with aftermarket exhaust, stone reliable, drinks gas like a thirsty camel, tiny fuel tank, less than 100 mile range when having too much fun with throttle, way too soft suspension, so so brakes, comfortable for a sporty bike.

I don't regret buying it but would pass on another one unless it was a steal.
 
I loved my VTR Superhawk although I agree with forementioned : weak fork, very thisty, lovely sound, a lot of fun. Now is cheap enough so go for it. This is my 2004-2005 model. VFR mirrors, custom screen, Leo Vince exhaust. I sold it some years ago.



6bdcc67c8679ce36d75392848d19f501.JPG
 
Thread starter
VTR1000F Guy, Thank you for sharing and yours was a very handsome bike! I'm keeping my eyes open for a semi clean one locally.
 
Back
Top