Anyone feel underwhelmed?

Hey we have a Ridgeline...we call it the "dependable" truck...it replaced my undependable Chev Z 71 Chev truck ;)

I call My ST " STarship" cause its able to accelerate and carry me across the universe at warp speed. It black with tiny little white overspray specs from a road striping crew up in the UP of Michigan that look like stars, so I cut a picture of a Star War's Xwing fighter out of reflective sheeting and put it on the front cowling.

The CB doesn't have a name.
 
My Ridgeline is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. 190,000 miles and aside from standard maintenance I have spent a total of $250 for repairs.
 
I test rode a 919 at the dealership where I eventually bought my CB11 and I sure do understand how one could characterize the CB11 as underwhelming...but that's exactly why I love it ! That Hornet was just too damn fast for me. The CB11 is so smooth and refined...maybe a bit boring to some, but just right for the "returning rider" crowd. 1250 miles and counting...
 
After about three months and close to 3K miles the CB has been everything I wanted it to be. The speed limited has become a non-issue and any money I might waste trying to by-pass it could be better spent on other mods. I find that I really don't go over 112 mph so that it becomes an issue. And I can get that speed plenty quick enough. The stock styling has become such a plus to me that I am avoiding doing anything that might change it too much. I want an exhaust but I want something close to factory styling so the racier stuff is out. Lower bars, a Lucas tail light, a slightly different seat and exhaust but nothing really radical.
The CB has been a subtle, refined jewel and a joy to ride everyday. I can see that it may not display the incredible excellence in some one area that excites another rider.
That's why we have tons of bikes to choose from.
I've looked at the Ridgeline and they are good looking and comfortable and have tons of great features. I know Honda builds solid vehicles. But the bed is like a danged mini-truck! I use my truck, a '99 Dakota 4x4 w/ HD towing and 3:92 gears, for hunting, off-road & utility stuff and I need a full size bed. That little open space behind the back seats just don't cut it.
 
I can tell you a nice whitetail buck will fit into the Ridgeline bed no problem..an elk or buffalo maybe not, but we don't have them here, I've hauled luggage and furniture, and mulch, and towed several motorcycles on a hd trailer behind mine. The area behind the front seats is pretty large if you fold the back seats up, and the under trunk bed storage and not having wheel wells intruding into the bed is awesome. Gas mileage is about the same as any other pickup..about 19 mpg.

However I can understand wanting a full size truck. I had a 2003 Ext cab Z-71 1500 4x4 Chev which I sold with 54,000 miles on it to buy the Ridgeline. It carried a little more in the back, but I was never sure I was going to get where I was going or get back home again. What a POS.
 
19 mpg?
I've got 5,2 liter V-8 and 3:92 gears and I am friggin' thrilled to see 14 mpg on the highway! Locally, with weight on (two yards of mulch in one trip) it can drop to single numbers. But I've had a BMW K75 and a Yamaha SR500 in there at the same time. Gate closed.
My son's friend borrowed it and towed a horse trailer - with the horse.
She ain't pretty but she's effective.
And I've pulled stumps out with it.:cool:
I love to be able to have a Ridgeline, those are nice rigs, but they are not what I need a truck for.
If it dies, I'm getting a Toyota.:D
 
Just sell it and ride what you like. In 32 years of riding I have NEVER been bored on a motorcycle. I'm more about riding than the ride it's self.
 
mr1bienvenu_imp said:
Just sell it and ride what you like. In 32 years of riding I have NEVER been bored on a motorcycle. I'm more about riding than the ride it's self.
+1. There are so many different bikes built and accessories available that there is no excuse for riding something that you make you want to ride.
 
mr1bienvenu_imp said:
Just sell it and ride what you like. In 32 years of riding I have NEVER been bored on a motorcycle. I'm more about riding than the ride it's self.
So much this. I've found the CB11's smooth power delivery to be very nice when carving up the curvy roads. Yes, when pushed really hard it's not going to feel as good as a sportbike. That said I'm still amazed at how well it does considering the amount of suspension travel and generally plush ride.
 
I know this is an old post, just doing some reading on the forum...I love the message here!
The ferret_imp said:
I dont think you're in the demographic this bike was meant for, although some younguns seem be be enjoying it. For many my age this bike harkens back to a fondly remembered time and place. The golden age of motorcycles. It's everything those bikes were only better.

No its not as fast, or handles as well as the FZ-1 I sold to buy it, but I don't need that speed anymore. I've gone fast. Now I'm just as happy not going that fast. Wait another 35 years, look around at what hey are riding then, and I'll bet you really had your 919 again, or a chance to buy a new one. That's what many of us have done, bought a new bike like we had or wish we had 35 or 40 years ago

Its not Benny Goodman, its not Limp Bizkit, it's the Beatles. If your radio station isnt on Rock Classics from the 60 s and 70s you'll probably find this bike boring. I'm usually humming Jefferson Airplane, or Simon and Garfunkle when I'm riding. This bike isn't even Boston material.

I'm as pleased as a pig in slop with this bike.
Try #2...
 
Hi, I have had my CB1100 for 3 years now I can safely say I have never felt bored by it, I have been riding bikes for nearly 40 years now and have had everything from Harleys to triumphs and this is by far one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned, let me just say I am not a fan of modern plastic clad crotch rockets, these motorcycles have always left me cold and I have little time for the power ranger suited sport bike crowd, I waited a long time for somebody to make a real retro motorcycle that offered realistic performance in a retro package, after trying triumphs 865 bonnie (by far the worst bike I have ever owned, no performance poor breaks, poor suspension etc ) I finally discovered the CB1100 and after waiting 5 years for Honda to bring it to the uk I finally got my hands on one and all I can say is it was well worth the wait, every time I climb on to it I am transported back to the late seventies and I just grin from ear to ear the whole time I am riding it. this is a very special bike and maybe as you say you are just too young to appreciate it and if you could remember those days of Z1s GS1000s and CB900s you could probably appreciate more what an amazing recreation of the UJM this motorcycle is.
 
Nice 1 st post. Why not drop into the new members section and introduce yourself.
 
I'll chime in. I'm 58, was born in Oklahoma and was raised riding stingray bicycles with banana seats and sissy bars. I was one of those kids that lopped off the ape hanger handlebars so I could wheelie my bicycle better. I had a paper route and when I was 7, my uncle purchase for me and my brother a Rupp mini-cycle. Yep, Techumseh 5 HP with a torque converter with a jackshaft for a final drive. I broke that minibike in half going over some small whoops at Movey's Park. I love riding motorcycles and I always have. When I was 13, my uncle let me ride the AMF Harley 1000 Sportster to the flat track races in Yukon.
Now,
There are two bikes that have made an impact in my life. A KZ1000LTD, I've had 5 of them and an '06 GSXR1000 of which I've owned 3 and raced 2 . The CB reminds me of everything that the KZ wanted to be. Better handling, fuel injection and it's a beautiful bike. I get compliments and stares everywhere I ride the thing. I did put some K&N bend black handlebars on and took off those goofy mirrors. Mounted a nice loud chrome slip-on and I love this thing. It ain't fast, if I want to go fast, I hop on the gixxer.

Oh, and I seemed to always hear the song La Grange (ZZ Top) right before the green flag dropped. lol.
 
Power ranger suited sport bike crowd....lol

I've been down twice at a race track, once at Barber and once at Virginia International Raceway. I was certainly suited up like a power ranger and walked away without a scratch. Granted I had my bell rung a bit but the power ranger suit saved the day!

Phil_imp said:
Hi, I have had my CB1100 for 3 years now I can safely say I have never felt bored by it, I have been riding bikes for nearly 40 years now and have had everything from Harleys to triumphs and this is by far one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned, let me just say I am not a fan of modern plastic clad crotch rockets, these motorcycles have always left me cold and I have little time for the power ranger suited sport bike crowd, I waited a long time for somebody to make a real retro motorcycle that offered realistic performance in a retro package, after trying triumphs 865 bonnie (by far the worst bike I have ever owned, no performance poor breaks, poor suspension etc ) I finally discovered the CB1100 and after waiting 5 years for Honda to bring it to the uk I finally got my hands on one and all I can say is it was well worth the wait, every time I climb on to it I am transported back to the late seventies and I just grin from ear to ear the whole time I am riding it. this is a very special bike and maybe as you say you are just too young to appreciate it and if you could remember those days of Z1s GS1000s and CB900s you could probably appreciate more what an amazing recreation of the UJM this motorcycle is.
 
Yea- but you can have all the protection without the bright colors and skinny jeans effect- google Dainese Crusier. I have that jacket and pants with the additional optional spine and chest armor. Love it- very versatile, cold weather liner, wet liner, air flaps & gaps to open when hot.
 
Back to the original question. Am I underwhelmed?
- with the fit and finish? No. Love it.
- with the overall power and torque? No. Surprisingly quick in any gear
- with the tranny smoothness? No. I've ridden smoother, but still good.
- with the suspension? Yes. I was surprised with how rough it was over anything other than perfect surface.

I am currently purchasing Ikon shocks, and will most likely install Traxxion Dynamic's kit that also includes a RaceTech emulator, progressive spring. Overall, the bike is worth spending a few bucks to make it work for me. I bought a 2014 new leftover at a good price, and I guess some of the savings can be spent on improvements.

Bob
 
+1 to Ohiorider's assessment of the bike. I also just picked up a new old stock 2014 standard a week ago and passed 500 miles today. I suppose I'll have about 1K on the clock by Monday when I have an appointment for the first service. I just can't resist a small rally this weekend.

I agree with the ride harshness being uncomfortable, but not the worst I've ridden. Then I do get frequent comparison with my ST1100 tricked out Traxxion Dynamics / Penske suspension. It is also 200 lbs heavier and has a longer wheelbase.

The traxxion system is awesome. It is on the wish list for the CB11.
jim
 
Back
Top