furious_blue_imp
Been there
Every prospective buyer should watch Honda's CB1100 'power of dreams' promo video. If the day's ride in that video holds no appeal, then you probably won't be in love with the bike.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I don't care what sportbike experience a person has there is nothing that can prepare you for the 1098Rthumper_imp said:flynbulldog--My best friend also had a 1098R. I've got a CBR1000RR and a VFR1200F, so I know about power.
But, in referring to his 1098R, I used to call the throttle the "Front Wheel Lifting Device."![]()
Yes exactly as I said, a noob with very little or no experience will love the CB11,darmahman_imp said:I agree with you 99%, but my noob nephew( 5000 miles on a 04 triumph Bonneville) rode mine yesterday and fell in love with it. I think the OP just was expecting something different. Kinda like it was for us when the CB750 and the Z-1 came out. This bike isn't groundbreaking in that way, but it is one of my favorite all time bikes I have owned. I think the bike is brilliant! It gets better every ride.
Perhaps I'm an outlier, but I'm 27 and loving every second of my CB11._imp said:If you're 26 this is not the bike for you. I'm 56 and it's the perfect bike for me. Honda got the handling and feel right on. Of course if I need some speed I will fire up my FZ8. The CB1100 is a bike that could be compared to a designer tube guitar amp; younger players used to digital amp modeling just won't get the old-style amps. In 30 years you will definitely get the CB1100 but not right now. So your instincts are right on the money. I started riding on the street when I was 26 and my first street bike was a V45 Interceptor. I could not be bothered with the old air-cooled junk. Things are different now.
Very true, I loved that video!!! And I didn't see it till after I got the CB!furious_blue_imp said:Every prospective buyer should watch Honda's CB1100 'power of dreams' promo video. If the day's ride in that video holds no appeal, then you probably won't be in love with the bike.
Perhaps I'm an outlier, but I'm 27 and loving every second of my CB11. You are indeed, sir!Joola_imp said:Perhaps I'm an outlier, but I'm 27 and loving every second of my CB11._imp said:If you're 26 this is not the bike for you. I'm 56 and it's the perfect bike for me. Honda got the handling and feel right on. Of course if I need some speed I will fire up my FZ8. The CB1100 is a bike that could be compared to a designer tube guitar amp; younger players used to digital amp modeling just won't get the old-style amps. In 30 years you will definitely get the CB1100 but not right now. So your instincts are right on the money. I started riding on the street when I was 26 and my first street bike was a V45 Interceptor. I could not be bothered with the old air-cooled junk. Things are different now.
12cb96vfr_imp said:Very true, I loved that video!!! And I didn't see it till after I got the CB!furious_blue_imp said:Every prospective buyer should watch Honda's CB1100 'power of dreams' promo video. If the day's ride in that video holds no appeal, then you probably won't be in love with the bike.
I guess was a little late to the riding game, I never even sat on a bike till I was 28 years old. I bought a honda shadow to learn on and I loved it. Put 20k miles on it in a year but wanted something bigger, faster, stronger.
I got a Yamaha Warrior and rode the wheels off of that thing, then my buddy got a sportbike - suddenly the Warrior wasn't enough. Added a Z1000 and rode the wheels off of that thing!
Then came the inevitable - I was cruising along on the Z and CRASH. Hit a very slick wet spot on a dark curve and the front tire washed out - a freak thing. I immediately replaced it with a VFR.
I started to think about what I really LOVED about riding. I was never going to be the fastest, the more I tinkered with go-fast parts the less I was riding. Then stuff breaks, then the bike is down for repair - and the cycle repeats itself.
I bought the CB because I realized what I really love is RIDING! being out there, taking it all in, enjoying the experience of it all. I don't care about 0-60 times, HP numbers or drag strip times, or carving the best corner (and going all out on public roads like i did on the Z was BEGGING for trouble). I just want to ride.....
I like working on my bike and the best way to describe the 1100 is simple. Cheap and easy to maintain, reliable, and simple. A beautiful combination!
Damn I sound old hahahaha!
. Now, go forth and ACCESSORIZE!Don't forget to check your bias-ply tires for cracking!!_imp said:I have had mine 3 days and still, honestly, cannot shake off several automatic actions which happen every time I see it:
1. I want to check the petcock to make sure it's turned off so as not to let the carb bowls overflow in the event of a sticky needle/float.
2. My mind adds in the marks left under the ignition switch by a key fob dangling there for 40,000 miles (there are no such marks).
3. My mind adds the spotty corrosion on the engine side covers along with the odd rust spots on the forks and fenders.
4. I need to stop myself checking for any oil or fluid leaks.
I have, however, ceased to look for the enrichener lever.

Don't forget to check your bias-ply tires for cracking!!thumper_imp said:Don't forget to check your bias-ply tires for cracking!!_imp said:I have had mine 3 days and still, honestly, cannot shake off several automatic actions which happen every time I see it:
1. I want to check the petcock to make sure it's turned off so as not to let the carb bowls overflow in the event of a sticky needle/float.
2. My mind adds in the marks left under the ignition switch by a key fob dangling there for 40,000 miles (there are no such marks).
3. My mind adds the spotty corrosion on the engine side covers along with the odd rust spots on the forks and fenders.
4. I need to stop myself checking for any oil or fluid leaks.
I have, however, ceased to look for the enrichener lever.![]()
It's suppose to be boring. My un-boring bike is a 2007 Hayabusa. I do love my CB1100 though. I've had RD400's, GS1100's, CBR1000's. The CB1100 is my cruiser bike.mrhonda1987_imp said:Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.
I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.
Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.
Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.
Anyone else want to chime in?

MrHonda,mrhonda1987_imp said:Crikey, I feel like I'm being vilified here. Don't get me wrong, the CB1100 is a fantastic bike; smooth, powerful and very well put together, but its just not as smooth, powerful and it's just as well put together as my 919. I don't need to go 100+ all the time, and I rarely do (only if there's a girl with me, tbh), but its nice to know its there. Granted, I'm not in my 60s and I didn't pine for a Triumph 650 until the CB750 came out, then the Z1 as I skated around on my Doodlebug scooter. They're great. They have character because of the era and what they were. Speaking only for myself, I'm on the fence. I can ride it one time and think its the most boring thing, then the next day, think its positively brilliant. My expectations failed me. Simple as that.
I'm genuinely in a pickle. With a comfy seat, crash bars and highway pegs, I could very easily live with it. But that's what? $600 for a seat, $150 for crash bar and I'd have to get a pipe, so $600 for the Moriwaki. That's $1350 in just farkles to make it liveable for me. For that, I could trade it in for a Shadow or something, get the seat, pipes, bags and windshield and have... a boring V-twin. Damn it all. They need to do a modern day Kawi Eliminator. If I could weld... boy howdy. Wrecked 919 engine in the frame of a shadow or something... comfy and it'd go like a stabbed rat. That'd be ideal. Anyway, I'll have to think on it.
mrhonda1987_imp said:Crikey, I feel like I'm being vilified here. Don't get me wrong, the CB1100 is a fantastic bike; smooth, powerful and very well put together, but its just not as smooth, powerful and it's just as well put together as my 919. I don't need to go 100+ all the time, and I rarely do (only if there's a girl with me, tbh), but its nice to know its there. Granted, I'm not in my 60s and I didn't pine for a Triumph 650 until the CB750 came out, then the Z1 as I skated around on my Doodlebug scooter. They're great. They have character because of the era and what they were. Speaking only for myself, I'm on the fence. I can ride it one time and think its the most boring thing, then the next day, think its positively brilliant. My expectations failed me. Simple as that.
I'm genuinely in a pickle. With a comfy seat, crash bars and highway pegs, I could very easily live with it. But that's what? $600 for a seat, $150 for crash bar and I'd have to get a pipe, so $600 for the Moriwaki. That's $1350 in just farkles to make it liveable for me. For that, I could trade it in for a Shadow or something, get the seat, pipes, bags and windshield and have... a boring V-twin. Damn it all. They need to do a modern day Kawi Eliminator. If I could weld... boy howdy. Wrecked 919 engine in the frame of a shadow or something... comfy and it'd go like a stabbed rat. That'd be ideal. Anyway, I'll have to think on it.
MrHonda,ChipBeck_imp said:MrHonda,mrhonda1987_imp said:Crikey, I feel like I'm being vilified here. Don't get me wrong, the CB1100 is a fantastic bike; smooth, powerful and very well put together, but its just not as smooth, powerful and it's just as well put together as my 919. I don't need to go 100+ all the time, and I rarely do (only if there's a girl with me, tbh), but its nice to know its there. Granted, I'm not in my 60s and I didn't pine for a Triumph 650 until the CB750 came out, then the Z1 as I skated around on my Doodlebug scooter. They're great. They have character because of the era and what they were. Speaking only for myself, I'm on the fence. I can ride it one time and think its the most boring thing, then the next day, think its positively brilliant. My expectations failed me. Simple as that.
I'm genuinely in a pickle. With a comfy seat, crash bars and highway pegs, I could very easily live with it. But that's what? $600 for a seat, $150 for crash bar and I'd have to get a pipe, so $600 for the Moriwaki. That's $1350 in just farkles to make it liveable for me. For that, I could trade it in for a Shadow or something, get the seat, pipes, bags and windshield and have... a boring V-twin. Damn it all. They need to do a modern day Kawi Eliminator. If I could weld... boy howdy. Wrecked 919 engine in the frame of a shadow or something... comfy and it'd go like a stabbed rat. That'd be ideal. Anyway, I'll have to think on it.
Heck no. You started one of the best and most read threads on this forum. Old dogs like me could sound off and give our opinions and you sparked a lot of discussion. Most of us wish we were your age and had your eyesight and reaction time too. Remembering when the first CB750 hit the showroom is ok but I'd rather be 26. Keep sounding off bro.
Chip