Anyone feel underwhelmed?

I got the cb11 abs after waiting 17 years to ride again. My last bike was a cb750 that I had "outgrown". My bike before that was a cb450 that I quickly outgrew. I have to say, that the cb11 definitely reminds me of my 750, but with more power.

I am also somewhat underwhelmed by the 1100. I bought it because it is the only new naked, in the u.s., that has a riding position that I prefer. I test rode the ninja 1000 and preferred it's power, but I was not completely comfortable with the design, and the fact that I could not get theft insurance at this point.

I would like at least one more gear, a little more power, the engine to not have the intentionally added noise, and a wider gear spread. I'm thinking of adding the better shocks at some point.

I wonder if I would prefer the cb1300. Too bad the u.s. can't get it. I'm hoping to upgrade before I get too old and have to get a trike.
 
In my opinion, of all things, a motorcycle should incite passion in an individual. At least some amount of passion anyway. In other words, riding the bike, looking at the bike, or working on the bike for that matter should be something that you look forward to.

I definitely feel for you mrhonda. It really just comes down to what you're looking for out of the bike. As an example, I've read (and have been surprised by) more than a few people commenting that the 919 is a rather boring bike (I'm assuming that this as it pertains to rest of the class it represents). Honestly, I wouldn't mind owning one if I could add another bike to the two that I already own. I'm sure I'd have a blast with that bike, probably get myself into a fair bit of trouble, but the next guy might feel totally different. There are bound to be plenty of folks that the CB1100 is not going to appeal to, and you might be one of them.

As I've mentioned before, I dig this bike for reasons beyond just the ride (which I do happen to enjoy a lot). I'm passionate about the looks of the bike and therefore even enjoy washing the thing. I look forward to maintaining it on my own, and building a bond with it as I have with my Hawk GT over the past number of years. Finally, I've always been able to easily visualize myself with this machine. It just fits with my personality in so many ways.

Maybe give the CB a bit more time and try to enjoy it for what it is. I tend to romanticize just about every aspect of the bike and the ownership experience. But in the end, it is a machine and looking around the dealer websites, there are plenty of very low mile trade-ins. So obviously not every machine is a hit with every buyer. If it does grow on you, then by all means, dole out for the Moriwaki! (I'm going nuts waiting for someone else to buy one so that I can read all about it.)

Regardless of what happens, you can always keep hanging around this joint for some douchebag-free motorcycle-based discussion.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
In my opinion, of all things, a motorcycle should incite passion in an individual. At least some amount of passion anyway. In other words, riding the bike, looking at the bike, or working on the bike for that matter should be something that you look forward to.

I definitely feel for you mrhonda. It really just comes down to what you're looking for out of the bike. As an example, I've read (and have been surprised by) more than a few people commenting that the 919 is a rather boring bike (I'm assuming that this as it pertains to rest of the class it represents). Honestly, I wouldn't mind owning one if I could add another bike to the two that I already own. I'm sure I'd have a blast with that bike, probably get myself into a fair bit of trouble, but the next guy might feel totally different. There are bound to be plenty of folks that the CB1100 is not going to appeal to, and you might be one of them.

As I've mentioned before, I dig this bike for reasons beyond just the ride (which I do happen to enjoy a lot). I'm passionate about the looks of the bike and therefore even enjoy washing the thing. I look forward to maintaining it on my own, and building a bond with it as I have with my Hawk GT over the past number of years. Finally, I've always been able to easily visualize myself with this machine. It just fits with my personality in so many ways.

Maybe give the CB a bit more time and try to enjoy it for what it is. I tend to romanticize just about every aspect of the bike and the ownership experience. But in the end, it is a machine and looking around the dealer websites, there are plenty of very low mile trade-ins. So obviously not every machine is a hit with every buyer. If it does grow on you, then by all means, dole out for the Moriwaki! (I'm going nuts waiting for someone else to buy one so that I can read all about it.)

Regardless of what happens, you can always keep hanging around this joint for some douchebag-free motorcycle-based discussion.
No Doubt. This forum is great. I used to frequent wristtwisters quite a lot, since the 919 and all, and thats kinda turned into a 919 only club. There were a few Harley guys a while back that joined and they got flamed like no other. Maybe they deserved it, maybe not, but I'm all about turning the other cheek. Forgiveness man.
 
As far as I'm concerned bikes are bikes. Some get me more fired up than others, and that's probably for the best — I have a hard enough time managing my money as it is. Bike riders are another story. I try to give pretty much everyone on a bike "the wave" when passing in the opposite direction. If they choose not to return in kind, well that's their deal. Some HD riders choose to, other's don't. Same goes for every other brand of bike out there along with the people who ride them. People are what they are. I try my best to give others the benefit of the doubt. With so many things in life, it's often the exceptions that prove to be not only the most surprising, but somtimes the most enjoyable.
 
mrhonda1987' pid='4834' dateline='1371501277 said:
Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.

I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.

Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.

Anyone else want to chime in?

A a bike salesman I have to ask this question- did u get a test ride, did you get a presentation about the cb, do you have questions etc? Reason I ask is my number one goal in sales is getting the buyer on the right bike, everything else comes after. If we sell the wrong bike to a customer then they get upset at the dealership and place the blame on the store (sold me a Lemmon, hate the bike, I got screwed etc).

Just curious as hopefully I can avoid this in helping my customers. Mark
 
Bbref36_imp said:
mrhonda1987' pid='4834' dateline='1371501277 said:
Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.

I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.

Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.

Anyone else want to chime in?

A a bike salesman I have to ask this question- did u get a test ride, did you get a presentation about the cb, do you have questions etc? Reason I ask is my number one goal in sales is getting the buyer on the right bike, everything else comes after. If we sell the wrong bike to a customer then they get upset at the dealership and place the blame on the store (sold me a Lemmon, hate the bike, I got screwed etc).

Just curious as hopefully I can avoid this in helping my customers. Mark
I wish there were more salesmen like you. I've seldom (if ever) felt that from a dealer. I generally feel like they will do and say whatever they need to put me on the bike I think I want...except lower the cost.

As to MrHonda's post, I do not feel underwhelmed. I wanted a comfortable, fun bike with retro styling to cruise around on over the weekends. I wasn't looking for a "fast" bike or one that can carve canyons like the Colorado River. I feel like I got exactly what I wanted and expected. I know it's a pain but maybe you should trade in your CB11 for something that does for you what you want it to. I know you could buy a new exhaust or suspension but I don't think throwing more money at the problem is good advice at this point. You should invest in things you love to make them even better. Don't waste the money on the CB11 in the hopes it becomes what you want it to be. That almost never pans out.
 
Thread starter
Bbref36_imp said:
mrhonda1987' pid='4834' dateline='1371501277 said:
Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.

I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.

Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.

Anyone else want to chime in?

A a bike salesman I have to ask this question- did u get a test ride, did you get a presentation about the cb, do you have questions etc? Reason I ask is my number one goal in sales is getting the buyer on the right bike, everything else comes after. If we sell the wrong bike to a customer then they get upset at the dealership and place the blame on the store (sold me a Lemmon, hate the bike, I got screwed etc).

Just curious as hopefully I can avoid this in helping my customers. Mark
My dealer, Mason City Honda, did everything right. Curt was very upfront with any questions and as soon as they came in, I thought, because I'd built it up in my mind, that it was going to be absolutely brilliant. Its only after living with it for 500 miles that I'm starting to feel this way. It wasn't a dealership failing, or even the bike failing, it was me. I let it down.
 
mrhonda1987_imp said:
Bbref36_imp said:
mrhonda1987' pid='4834' dateline='1371501277 said:
Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.

I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.

Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.

Anyone else want to chime in?

A a bike salesman I have to ask this question- did u get a test ride, did you get a presentation about the cb, do you have questions etc? Reason I ask is my number one goal in sales is getting the buyer on the right bike, everything else comes after. If we sell the wrong bike to a customer then they get upset at the dealership and place the blame on the store (sold me a Lemmon, hate the bike, I got screwed etc).

Just curious as hopefully I can avoid this in helping my customers. Mark
My dealer, Mason City Honda, did everything right. Curt was very upfront with any questions and as soon as they came in, I thought, because I'd built it up in my mind, that it was going to be absolutely brilliant. Its only after living with it for 500 miles that I'm starting to feel this way. It wasn't a dealership failing, or even the bike failing, it was me. I let it down.
My dealer, Mason City Honda, did everything right. Curt was very upfront with any questions and as soon as they came in, I thought, because I'd built it up in my mind, that it was going to be absolutely brilliant. Its only after living with it for 500 miles that I'm starting to feel this way. It wasn't a dealership failing, or even the bike failing, it was me. I let it down.
That a good honest answer! Good luck with what every you choose to do with the bike.
 
+1 regarding post#27...Joola writes wisdom...throwing $$ on making your exhaust go "toot" will most likely not enhance your cb11 experience...you already have expressed "DUH(LL)" about your feelings for the bike...you really should just do as a very popular poster on st-owners.com has done after his purchase of a rather long-lust for the VFR1200F with automatic shift...SELL THE BIKE!...and move on in your quest for "satisfaction" in your ride...i think you will find quite a few very interested riders who would be fair to you in a transaction & "set you free" to not have to try to rationalize your cb11 purchase...a decade ago, with only 500 miles, a Honda ST13 owner after only three months, had decided he just did not "bond" with his new purchase...placed his ad in regional paper...next day, he & I having agreed on a mutually beneficial figure...made BOTH OF US VERY HAPPY/SATISFIED in the transaction...i still continue to enjoy the ST13 & he continued his quest toward his finding HIS PREFERRED RIDE!...so, again,...perhaps you just need to move on & not settle for less than what you want to ride...just my nickel's worth, of course...most of us will wave, regardless!
 
I've had buyers remorse on many things in my life and ended up switching or just keeping them, luckily I still feel great about my CB1100.
Not so on some of the following I ended up getting rid of :-(
2007 Camry
Zero turn lawn mower
Toyota Highlander
many DSLR lenses
Mountain Bike, fixed suspension
etc.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Again, for me, it literally was the ONLY motorcycle in the ENTIRE dealership I wanted and would hit my savings account for.
If I did not see the CB1100, I would have not bought another motorcycle, I did not want another plastic transformer type bike, no matter how fast it was.
Agreed. For me it was the only new bike on the market that I really wanted. Maaaybe I would have thought about a Bonnie or one of the new Honda 500F twins. The 500 I considered the practical option, and for a number of reasons it could have been a smarter choice, but I'd just be kidding myself I tried to convince myself that I somehow liked it better.
If there was no CB11 I probably would have simply looked around for an old Nighthawk or CX in good condition.

If you want the more modern performance I can see how you would like the 919 better. For me the 11 is just a beatiful blend of modern and classic. Every time I walk by the bike parked in my space at home or at work, I get all excited and just have to think to myself "DAMN that is a good looking machine."
Agreed. For me it was the only new bike on the market that I really wanted. Maaaybe I would have thought about a Bonnie or one of the new Honda 500F twins. The 500 I considered the practical option, and for a number of reasons it could have been a smarter choice, but I'd just be kidding myself I tried to convince myself that I somehow liked it better.
If there was no CB11 I probably would have simply looked around for an old Nighthawk or CX in good condition.

If you want the more modern performance I can see how you would like the 919 better. For me the 11 is just a beatiful blend of modern and classic. Every time I walk by the bike parked in my space at home or at work, I get all excited and just have to think to myself "DAMN that is a good looking machine."
That's like me buying that NC700 and keeping it 2 months and losing my tail on it to buy the CB11. It speaks to me in an old forgotten language I still understand.
 
Guth_imp said:
In my opinion, of all things, a motorcycle should incite passion in an individual. At least some amount of passion anyway. In other words, riding the bike, looking at the bike, or working on the bike for that matter should be something that you look forward to.

I definitely feel for you mrhonda. It really just comes down to what you're looking for out of the bike. As an example, I've read (and have been surprised by) more than a few people commenting that the 919 is a rather boring bike (I'm assuming that this as it pertains to rest of the class it represents). Honestly, I wouldn't mind owning one if I could add another bike to the two that I already own. I'm sure I'd have a blast with that bike, probably get myself into a fair bit of trouble, but the next guy might feel totally different. There are bound to be plenty of folks that the CB1100 is not going to appeal to, and you might be one of them.

As I've mentioned before, I dig this bike for reasons beyond just the ride (which I do happen to enjoy a lot). I'm passionate about the looks of the bike and therefore even enjoy washing the thing. I look forward to maintaining it on my own, and building a bond with it as I have with my Hawk GT over the past number of years. Finally, I've always been able to easily visualize myself with this machine. It just fits with my personality in so many ways.

Maybe give the CB a bit more time and try to enjoy it for what it is. I tend to romanticize just about every aspect of the bike and the ownership experience. But in the end, it is a machine and looking around the dealer websites, there are plenty of very low mile trade-ins. So obviously not every machine is a hit with every buyer. If it does grow on you, then by all means, dole out for the Moriwaki! (I'm going nuts waiting for someone else to buy one so that I can read all about it.)

Regardless of what happens, you can always keep hanging around this joint for some douchebag-free motorcycle-based discussion.
Well said Guth couldn't agree more and I think for many of us without that passion we move on until we find it with another model.

Bit like wives really! :D

Luckily I found the right one one those 20 years ago, its much less expensive that way.

Bit like motorcycles really.:D
 
Couldn't agree more with some of the comments. If you're not happy where you are now, with what you have and with whom you are, it's highly unlikely to change elsewhere..

I spent so much time with the bike initially that my wife brought the sleeping bag out one night.. The message was loud and clear LOL!
 
I can relate to the feeling of being underwhelmed. The evening I rode my CB11 home I felt it was bland compared to my old, beat up Hawk GT and wondered if I had made the right decision. If I was able to take it on a 50 mile test ride before purchase I may have passed on it. Now that I have it though, I'm discovering its charms and giving myself time to really get to know it before I decide whether to get something different. I am one of the younger riders here at 33 and have owned some of the same bikes: CB350, CB750 and also a '97 Triumph Thunderbird Sport. I have a blast bombing around town on my Hawk but the brisk and quiet ride of the new CB is very satisfying in its own right. Much more relaxing than exciting. Right I now I don't have an answer for myself as to whether I'll keep the CB, but I will give it plenty of time to make its case.
 
It's hard to believe these bikes are TOO smooth and TOO quiet and TOO comfortable. Coupled with being TOO reliable, I guess some might think the CB is TOO boring. (!) I suppose they feel it's a "lack of character". Maybe we should all get on a loud, shaking, vibrating, undependable V-twin every once in a while. All of the things that make people "underwhelmed" are what I like about CB's. Those are the things I call "quality".
 
I don't get it either. This bike is not meant to be a street bruiser or to compete with the sport bikes tooting around doing wheelies all over the place. This is a good ole UJM standard with modern upgrades. It's got enough power to move it along nicely and gets pretty damn good fuel economy on top of it.
 
If the CB is underwhelming you probably bought the wrong bike, you're not yet ready for the CB1100.

I have several bikes that are amazingly fast and handle on a world-class level, one of them is a 1098R (if you have any idea what that is).
I just got back from a ride on it and will be taking it to the local track tomorrow.



The CB1100 is not a bike that fills that niche and it shouldn't be expected to.
But I find it to be an amazing bike of high quality and unexpectedly good manners and performance.
It's just darn fun to ride and can be ridden with spirit. I also find it to have a character of its own and not lacking in soul in any way.

I do think it takes a complete noob with no preconceived ideas or a seasoned veteran with many years of riding to get to the point where this is the right bike.
Those mid-career guys still have some wild-oats to sew.

the CB has qualities that most other bikes just don't share and it takes a few rounds with other bikes to understand it.

I find it interesting that some of you are underwhelmed. I was genuinely blown away by the performance and handling
 
I agree with you 99%, but my noob nephew( 5000 miles on a 04 triumph Bonneville) rode mine yesterday and fell in love with it. I think the OP just was expecting something different. Kinda like it was for us when the CB750 and the Z-1 came out. This bike isn't groundbreaking in that way, but it is one of my favorite all time bikes I have owned. I think the bike is brilliant! It gets better every ride.
 
flynbulldog--My best friend also had a 1098R. I've got a CBR1000RR and a VFR1200F, so I know about power.

But, in referring to his 1098R, I used to call the throttle the "Front Wheel Lifting Device." :D
 
Back
Top