Anyone feel underwhelmed?

mrhonda1987_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.

I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.

Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.

Anyone else want to chime in?
 
I'm old and at least it's faster then most Harleys. I don't know if it's boring or just real easy to ride. I like it anyway, does everything just good enough for me at this stage. :)
I can't even remember 26.............
 
I can't imagine a CB350 being better to ride than a CB1100, but you own both so I won't dispute you on it.

You said you rode the same route as you had ridden the 919 a few days earlier and you were bored. I ride the same old boring roads around here enough and it doesn't matter what bike I'm riding, I get bored -- which isn't the bike's fault. Not sure if that's your case, but it's something to consider.

Lastly, the CB1100 is extremely quiet and user-friendly in stock form, no doubt about it. I added a Staintune muffler to mine and it really does spice up the experience a lot. Give the bike a try with an aftermarket exhaust and it might just change your mind.

In any case, I appreciate your honest opinion. I can see something like, say, a CB1000R being a more competent, exciting bike, but the CB1100 just appeals to me more. I like how it matches my mood no matter how I ride it; most modern (non-cruiser) bikes just like to be pushed, but aren't so enjoyable when you just want to mellow out and enjoy the ride and the scenery.
 
mrhonda1987_imp said:
Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.

I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.

Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.

Anyone else want to chime in?
You may have answered your own question.
 
Cant blame you mrhonda1987 , well I guess you had to live it once to re live it . :) apart from all the great things the 1100 is, it's a very emotional bike. The emotional connection I have with the bike is good enough for me than all the other stuff that comes with it.
 
Hey MrHonda,

I definitely get what you are saying about the CB11. Are your other bikes modified? Since you have other bikes, what was your main reasoning behind adding the CB11 to the stable?

I ask because I also own a 12' Triumph Bonneville and 12' Triumph Speed Triple. Both Trumpets are quite modified and I believe they add significantly to the riding experience. Compared to those two bikes, the Honda sure is lacking in overall character. However, it is no fault to the Honda as it was engineered to perfection. Whether you consider this bland because it does not have many quirks, or appreciate it for being built so well is for you to find out. I definitely think adding an exhaust will make for a better experience, it did for my other two bikes.

I myself bought the CB11 for riding two up, riding exclusively when the cold weather comes, and also for general touring/commuting duties (I plan to get a small windscreen, add heated grips, and also a luggage race and topcase). I think it excels in this regard and will easily do it better than both Triumphs will. I don't consider it boring because I would rather ride in a motorcycle than in a cage any day so I still have a great deal of fun on it.

This past weekend me and the wife went on a 120-mile ride through scenic back roads and we had an awesome time. There is no way I would do that ride on my other bikes. I think it's important to add bikes with differing purposes to the stable. If you plan to do similar riding on the CB11 that you could do on your other bikes, I do think you will be somewhat disappointed.
 
All of us are different, and what stirs one man's soul won't necessarily work for the next guy.

I loved my 919 (especially after putting an Ohlins on the back), but that bike was simply a naked sportbike, with 17" premium rubber at both ends, and an engine that just loved having its neck wrung. The 919 was a blast on twisty back roads, but like a devil on your shoulder, it just wanted to run at triple-digit speeds.

The CB11 is a much more relaxed machine, that doesn't beg me to ride it hard, or fast. That's what I love about it. It's my comfort ride.

When I'm in a quick mood, the CBR1000RR or the VFR1200F are always willing to scratch that itch.

Good luck on your quest to contentment.
 
When I was 26 I was in to fast sport bikes, at 50, I feel lucky to still be alive and love owning and riding the CB1100 at a reasonable clip.
Hope to be alive another 20 or 30 years.
 
I dont think you're in the demographic this bike was meant for, although some younguns seem be be enjoying it. For many my age this bike harkens back to a fondly remembered time and place. The golden age of motorcycles. It's everything those bikes were only better.

No its not as fast, or handles as well as the FZ-1 I sold to buy it, but I don't need that speed anymore. I've gone fast. Now I'm just as happy not going that fast. Wait another 35 years, look around at what hey are riding then, and I'll bet you really had your 919 again, or a chance to buy a new one. That's what many of us have done, bought a new bike like we had or wish we had 35 or 40 years ago

Its not Benny Goodman, its not Limp Bizkit, it's the Beatles. If your radio station isnt on Rock Classics from the 60 s and 70s you'll probably find this bike boring. I'm usually humming Jefferson Airplane, or Simon and Garfunkle when I'm riding. This bike isn't even Boston material.

I'm as pleased as a pig in slop with this bike.
 
Mr. Honda,

To each his own. The CB11, like a 1969 Chevelle, is a vehicle you have to desire, to fully enjoy it. I certainly don't lust for 1940's automobiles because I neither remember or have any connection to them. Ahh, but a big block GTO or Chevelle would certainly light my jets. The CB11 is like that. The 919 just doesn't get it for me and even in it's day the CB350 was a mild mannered commuter. That doesn't work for me either. 25 years from now you will fondly remember the music and machines of your youth and nostalgia will effect you like it does me today. If I had a really nice 1942 Nash it would bore me too. Life is short, sell your CB and buy something that moves your soul as well as your body.

Chip
 
Had to confirm, so I just went out and put in a quick 50 miles on my local curvy roads... Yep... HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Mr. Honda,

To each his own. The CB11, like a 1969 Chevelle, is a vehicle you have to desire, to fully enjoy it. I certainly don't lust for 1940's automobiles because I neither remember or have any connection to them. Ahh, but a big block GTO or Chevelle would certainly light my jets. The CB11 is like that. The 919 just doesn't get it for me and even in it's day the CB350 was a mild mannered commuter. That doesn't work for me either. 25 years from now you will fondly remember the music and machines of your youth and nostalgia will effect you like it does me today. If I had a really nice 1942 Nash it would bore me too. Life is short, sell your CB and buy something that moves your soul as well as your body.

Chip
From my perspective, Spot on! Very well said ChipBeck!!

Bikes are so personal... As they should be! To each his own...
 
Again, for me, it literally was the ONLY motorcycle in the ENTIRE dealership I wanted and would hit my savings account for.
If I did not see the CB1100, I would have not bought another motorcycle, I did not want another plastic transformer type bike, no matter how fast it was.
 
Underwhelmed? Maybe a little bit.

The bike is sooo smooth and quiet, that sometimes I'm looking for a bit more aural feedback.

Easily remedied, of course, by an exhaust swap.

I had the same feeling with my '06 Ducati S2R Monster. It was geared too tall and was waaay too quiet. Changed the gearing and the exhaust, and added a few choice bits.

Result? I'll never sell it. It will be the same with the cb1100 - after I mod it.

 
My feelings on any motorcycle : It usually isn't the Bike, but the rider. I enjoy riding my 11. This is what counts. Sorry to hear the cb1100 disappointed you.
One last thing. People complain about Harley and the vibration/shaking they do. When another make of motorcycle doesn't do the vibrating thing, like the CB1100, complaints start. "It has no character" is the usual cry! Cant have it all I guess.
 
Thread starter
Well, I do enjoy riding it, I just think I built it up to be more than it was. The 919 scratches the speed itch quite well, and I didn't intend for the 11 to do that. My thinking when I bought it was that I love old school CB styling. I loved my CB750 and my 350, 500T, etc. They were all great. Those bikes were how I got my start and I'd defend them to the hilt against any (apologies in advance) flag-slathered Harley poster boy. There are a lot of those around here. Over the years, I've get sick of hearing the 'get a real bike...' 'Harley this, chrome that,' blah blah blah. I have nothing against HD motorcycles, but, like BMW's, they produce some of the douchebaggiest riders. Same for sportbike squids. Idiots and white trash abound around these parts and I deal with all of them.

Which is something that appealed about the 11. It's classy. Everyone on this board seems like a quality guy, or gal. You all seem like the kind who would come over at a gas station and chat bikes no matter what someone was riding. I love that. That's brotherhood. It attracts people that genuinely love to ride, regardless of make. I'm glad its brought me to a place like this and as a bike, it's perfectly acceptable for something from 1983, but with modern bits and bobs. I wish they would have pushed it a touch farther.

That said, thanks all for the feedback. Keep it coming. I like the discussion.

And since I just paid off my credit card, maybe I'll snag that Moriwaki exhaust I've been eyeing. Thanks all.
 
mrhonda1987_imp said:
Hey Dudes. For as long as I've pined for the CB1100, since first looking at the Tokyo Motor Show's prototype, I'm finding myself underwhelmed. At only 26 years old, I can't look back fondly at the 70's and the great CB's of the era, although I've owned a few. A CB350, CB500T, CB750, etc. All great. But this new one leaves me... let down. I understand it was never going to win drag races against ZX14s or out-cruise a Harley, but compared to more modern offerings, it seems like the 11 is a bit boring.

I took my CB350 down the highway yesterday and I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Took my 919 for a 60 mile loop around my house and back, and was completely into it. Did the same ride on my 11 a few days later and I couldn't have been more bored.

Maybe, although I've loved my old CBs that I had, it was simply because they were mine. The nostalgia hasn't fully enveloped me. Maybe that's that mystique that Harley owners insist 'I won't get.' Maybe cruising around on old tech, however modern, and harkening back to the old times, isn't my bag. If the CB750 in 1969 was the Ferrari 250GTO of the day, this CB11 isn't the F40, or the Enzo. Its a F50. It looks fantastic but isn't near as good as that which came before it.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the matter. Having lived with it, it makes me love my 919 that much more. I'm seriously considering downsizing and just enjoying not having the debt.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Although not "underwhelmed", I do miss my '02 919. In fact, I've been looking for a reasonably priced, clean example of an 04 and later 919 to add to my garage (wife will flip out if/when I bring one home). I really wanted a CB1000R, but I decided the CB1100 was the more sensible choice. Where I live, the great majority of roads are straight and boring. At least when I had my 919 in San Antonio, a 15-20 mile ride put me on some of the nicest roads in Texas to aid in un-squaring off the tires.
If I lived in SA now, I would have bought the CB1000R over the CB1100 without hesitation. Hmmm. Instead of finding a used 919, maybe I should look for a deal on a 2012 CB1000R. More money, but a much better bike.

For the record, I'm 47 and my first bike was an '83 Suzuki GS550ES. I always liked the looks of the old CB750s, but didn't have that lost-love look that so many have. Although, I do have that lust for a late model V65 Sabre.
Honda Sabre - Wikipedia
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Again, for me, it literally was the ONLY motorcycle in the ENTIRE dealership I wanted and would hit my savings account for.
If I did not see the CB1100, I would have not bought another motorcycle, I did not want another plastic transformer type bike, no matter how fast it was.
Agreed. For me it was the only new bike on the market that I really wanted. Maaaybe I would have thought about a Bonnie or one of the new Honda 500F twins. The 500 I considered the practical option, and for a number of reasons it could have been a smarter choice, but I'd just be kidding myself I tried to convince myself that I somehow liked it better.
If there was no CB11 I probably would have simply looked around for an old Nighthawk or CX in good condition.

If you want the more modern performance I can see how you would like the 919 better. For me the 11 is just a beatiful blend of modern and classic. Every time I walk by the bike parked in my space at home or at work, I get all excited and just have to think to myself "DAMN that is a good looking machine."
 
Back
Top