Any interest in sissy bars?

Thread starter
She will never fall off, and if the bike breaks down we can take turns pushing it like a shopping cart!!

34a0617b3c82fd21b40b1ec522127110.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Holy 1960s Batman. Does that backrest pad actually hit her in the back?
 
Thread starter
Yes, this ended up just being a test fit unfortunately. The problem with having something custom made without the bike in front of him.

The bar is coming back off and getting shipped back. It needs to be several inches shorter. I'll probably also have him lean it back more as it is pretty vertical. He did lean it back compared to the Kimja bar, but if you look at that bar mounted, it actually comes forward to the seat, so even with this being ' leaned back' it is still pretty close to straight up and down.

He will get it right. It just takes soooo much time shipping, to him, to the chrome shop, back to him, back to me.. good thing this is winter now.
 
Thread starter
So got the wife out today, did a test fit.

Here is the bike with the bar as sent.

279fd48d0f49f81cd872fecb04ce64d5.jpg


75de55a208e65c719106f16465b08c85.jpg


dc494ad79b382d2443438c9b05a1dfae.jpg




So we are thinking shorten the legs of the bar 3 inches, lean it back another 10 degrees, and start the upward bend closer to the seat.

Here is what we have so far-

2116465c1f146add6ea736a5a3072695.jpg




And here is what we photoshopped-

b58279d6724c7ac999b130e3ca07df8d.jpg




Thoughts?
 
I think you've got it nailed. You definitely want it to lean back a bit, with the pad a bit closer to the lower back region. That bolt-upright position that it's it right now looks like it would get uncomfortable in a few miles.

You know with that big ol' bar on the back, the bike is just begging for some 70s/80s style buckhorn bars to complete the look. :D

e2b67f10134bebe5b4c9051e162c88f8.jpeg
 
Thread starter
The bars that are on it are already pulled back more than stock. Can't go any more extreme without changing all the cables and hoses.
 
I think it actually hits here very well ( but too straight up). I'm surprised. It looked so tall with no one on the bike, I thought it would probably hit her in the back of the helmet lol
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Took my wife for her first ride a few days ago. While she found my stepped K+H seat plenty comfortable, she wants a back rest.

I do not want a rear rack so that rules out the factor Honda rack + pad.

I searched and contacted a shop that can make custom sissy bars. I already have the Kijima chrome tubular grab bar.. so I am going to send it to him so he can use it's measurements and tab location.

I am going to stick to the same classic chrome round tube style, incorporate a classic sissy bar style and a back pad. I am also going to have a lower cross tube below the pad so that you can strap a bag to the rear between the top and bottom of the bar.

Does anyone else want one? They won't be cheap, but they should be bulletproof as they are solid, not hollow.
I have been looking for a rack just like this, do you know where I can get one?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Given the demographic of the bike (older riders mostly) I thought (probably wrongly) that most would have partners that want to join the ride and go on trips, no?

Is a riding partner more of a young girl on the back of a young guys bike in general?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to do that when I was young. Simpler times, less traffic, lighter girls...

Nowadays, I would never take a passenger on. Not for more than a city block, in a pinch. This is what I strongly suggest to my grandsons:

If you are looking for a healthy mix of girls and motorcycles, find one that rides one. They are not easy to find, but are worth looking for.
 
Dmoore_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Took my wife for her first ride a few days ago. While she found my stepped K+H seat plenty comfortable, she wants a back rest.

I do not want a rear rack so that rules out the factor Honda rack + pad.

I searched and contacted a shop that can make custom sissy bars. I already have the Kijima chrome tubular grab bar.. so I am going to send it to him so he can use it's measurements and tab location.

I am going to stick to the same classic chrome round tube style, incorporate a classic sissy bar style and a back pad. I am also going to have a lower cross tube below the pad so that you can strap a bag to the rear between the top and bottom of the bar.

Does anyone else want one? They won't be cheap, but they should be bulletproof as they are solid, not hollow.
I have been looking for a rack just like this, do you know where I can get one?
I have been looking for a rack just like this, do you know where I can get one?
Are you wanting a Kajima rack? http://japan.webike.net/ps/#!p.m=311&p.c=1121&p.sk=1

Samurider can probably get them too as he shows Kajima grab bars on his site.
 
Thread starter
Update- here we are almost in May.

Unfortunately- despite his big talk up front about quality and great service- I have still not received my sissy bar back from the builder after several months. Apparently he wasn't happy about having to rebuild it, which is understandable since he needs not only to do more work- but send it off to chrome again.

He also was not happy that I waited until after the holidays to return it to him- (middle of winter) and tried to use the excuse that he no longer makes sissy bars or does motorcycle parts any more- even though he continues to have a website, facebook page, and advertise for them.

I get the frustration- and lack of profit all said and done. But from the very start- he said he could build it if I sent him the Kimija bar for measurements. I am not a custom sissy bar builder- so if he says he could do it, I trust him, paid him, and sent him my stuff. At the very least- 1 of the 4 mounting backets did not line up, beyond the other issues. Is it my problem that it wasn't right? I sent him detailed pictures and specifications ahead of time- (my wife is an architect who happily made diagrams.)

Long story short, he won't pick up the phone, answer emails, or text messages- so I sent him one last voicemail and text last week. He has (since January) possession of my Kimija bar from Takashi I sent back to him (2nd time) for fitment and my aftermarket back pad...as well as over $400 hundred dollars paid for the bar itself, not counting my shipping everything to him twice- for the bar that he is building... I have not ridden my bike since November, waiting on my parts...

So finally I had enough- last week I left a vm and text telling him if I didn't receive a tracking # that I would be contacting the authorities. His response? "I dare you"

Sooo.. I proceeded to contact the Attorney General of the state he lives in, and file a complaint, as well as file a complaint with the FTC, and just for fun, a complaint with the BBB even though I know they are useless. Anyone who can rattle his cage and pi** in his Cheerios is good for me.

I just received an automated email from UPS that I am expecting a delivery tomorrow from Art Brass Plating- which weighs 23 lbs- and is in his state- so that has to be all my stuff!!

I have no idea if it fits, if it is all the right angles, or if he balled all my stuff into a wad just to spite me. In fact I am not sure how the tracking lists a company which I assume is the chrome shop but why would he send them my Kimija Bar and back pad?

As I told me wife- this might not end well- but I tried my best- and worst case scenario I order another Kimija bar from Takashi, live and learn and eat the cost.

We'll find out tomorrow.
 
Thread starter
He outsources the chrome.

I just find it odd that he would send them my 'stock' bar as well as my backpad.

We'll find out tomorrow....
 
Thread starter
Unfortunately, even if it works out for me – I cannot recommend the shop to anyone else. I even advised the young man that if he did the right thing, I would speak his praises – but if he did not I would bury him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top