Any GL1800 coverts to CB1100 on this Forum?

SteveO_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello All:

I do enjoy this forum and have test ridden a CB1100 a couple of years ago. I currently ride a 2012 GL1800, which I do love... but I find the bike strains parts of my body, that I don't want strained, due to its general bulk (900+ Lbs) and its width.. Plus I don't tour much, so maybe a new 2017 CB1100


Anyone here traded their wing for a CB1100 and are you happy with the 1100 as your regular ride? Thanks for the feedback
 
I had the 1500 and loved it on long rides but hated it badly on short ones
it was the bulk plus it was so hot in the summer when i like Naked .
removed the windshield so it was bearable and sold it to buy a Hayabusa which was to extreme so the CB1100 fits all my requirements .

pic is with my son's 929
 
Elusive forum member Ridem32 has owned both.
 
Buy a 1500 Valkyrie!! haha I own both the CB1100 for the short intown, single rider trips. And the Valk on longer trips, either with myself or the ol lady.
 
Owned a 1999 GL1500, 2001 GL1800, and 2005 ST1300, and now ride my 2014 CB1100DLX.

Loved the other bikes, but there is a simplicity and purity in this bike that is tough to beat. Wonderful to feel the wind again, and not feel heat coming off the engine. Still silky smooth and powerful and refined. A delight to be able to change oil or do other maintenance tasks without having to remove body panels.
 
Thread starter
Bighonda14_imp said:
Owned a 1999 GL1500, 2001 GL1800, and 2005 ST1300, and now ride my 2014 CB1100DLX.

Loved the other bikes, but there is a simplicity and purity in this bike that is tough to beat. Wonderful to feel the wind again, and not feel heat coming off the engine. Still silky smooth and powerful and refined. A delight to be able to change oil or do other maintenance tasks without having to remove body panels.

I hear that about maintenance, I do all of my own on my wing, and its a chore to tear all the plastic off. I've never had any excess heat from my GL1800, but I could sure like the more manageable size
 
SteveO_imp said:
Hello All:

I do enjoy this forum and have test ridden a CB1100 a couple of years ago. I currently ride a 2012 GL1800, which I do love... but I find the bike strains parts of my body, that I don't want strained, due to its general bulk (900+ Lbs) and its width.. Plus I don't tour much, so maybe a new 2017 CB1100


Anyone here traded their wing for a CB1100 and are you happy with the 1100 as your regular ride? Thanks for the feedback

I did not trade my GL1800 but just added the CB1100 to the garage. Momma rather travel on the Wing. Personally me too for long trips.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Have a GL1500 and a CB1100. Both reliable comfortable rides, but apples and oranges to me otherwise.
If I had to ride interstate, and chew up miles, take the wing, but for exploring the twisty back roads of Arkansas,
and everyday commuting, the CB has it all beat for sheer riding enjoyment.
Depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing?
Crutch
 
I had a 02 GL1800 that I loved dearly but after I had both hips replaced it was just to much for me around town. I sold the wing and bought a Polaris Slingshot that I use for touring now. I missed two wheels so when I retired last April I bought a used CB1100 it had 900 miles on it and looked brand new. The CB is great for around town and chasing the wife and her VFR1200 around town and short rides. If I didn't have the Slingshot I would have a F6B I really like how it sits lower than a full wing but not enough to get rid of the sling. At this stage of my life I have what I need If I am touring slingshot, short day trips CB1100, If I want to go fast I can jump on the wife's VFR.
 
I looked at a new '17 yesterday and it was over $29000!

Edit: I don't know how I got the tongue sticking out smiley on the title. Didn't mean to.

Another edit: I fixed it for you. Don't thank me. It's fine.
 
slolane_imp said:
I had a 02 GL1800 that I loved dearly but after I had both hips replaced it was just to much for me around town. I sold the wing and bought a Polaris Slingshot that I use for touring now. I missed two wheels so when I retired last April I bought a used CB1100 it had 900 miles on it and looked brand new. The CB is great for around town and chasing the wife and her VFR1200 around town and short rides. If I didn't have the Slingshot I would have a F6B I really like how it sits lower than a full wing but not enough to get rid of the sling. At this stage of my life I have what I need If I am touring slingshot, short day trips CB1100, If I want to go fast I can jump on the wife's VFR.
I heard there's little or no room for luggage in a Slingshot. Is that true? If so, how do you tour?
 
I had a 2008. Best bike I've owned for touring. Got a '77 GL1000 also. Night & day between the two.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
slolane_imp said:
I had a 02 GL1800 that I loved dearly but after I had both hips replaced it was just to much for me around town. I sold the wing and bought a Polaris Slingshot that I use for touring now. I missed two wheels so when I retired last April I bought a used CB1100 it had 900 miles on it and looked brand new. The CB is great for around town and chasing the wife and her VFR1200 around town and short rides. If I didn't have the Slingshot I would have a F6B I really like how it sits lower than a full wing but not enough to get rid of the sling. At this stage of my life I have what I need If I am touring slingshot, short day trips CB1100, If I want to go fast I can jump on the wife's VFR.
I heard there's little or no room for luggage in a Slingshot. Is that true? If so, how do you tour?
I heard there's little or no room for luggage in a Slingshot. Is that true? If so, how do you tour? I use sissy bar bags on the roll hoops and if that's not enough I added a trailer hitch.
 
I understand you gotta solve the lack of space somehow.
I mean absolutely no offense, but I'm not liking the look. You would think that for a vehicle that size- bigger than my first two or three cars, a VW and a Toyota- they would have allowed for at least an overnight bag in inside storage
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I understand you gotta solve the lack of space somehow.
I mean absolutely no offense, but I'm not liking the look. You would think that for a vehicle that size- bigger than my first two or three cars, a VW and a Toyota- they would have allowed for at least an overnight bag in inside storage
No offense taken there is large covered compartments behind each seat also. My wife rides her own bike ( VFR1200 ) so can use the passenger seat an floor also. I put those up there to show what can be done. I also added a receiver hitch so I can pull a trailer heck I can even pull the CB with it if I want to the hitch is strong enough.

[url=http://s248.photobucket.com/user/slolane/media/slingshot/DSC00006_zpswtcgy3yk.jpg.html]
 
Back
Top