Another one bites the dust.

CBen1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just riding back from dinner. Went to Applebee's and was making a right hand turn into the street my subdivision is on and the bike went out from under me and high sided. Wasn't going fast, maybe 15-20mph max. Took me by complete surprise. It was dark and upon inspection I discovered a patch of loose gravel in the road.
The damage could have been worse I suppose. Both levers need to be replaced along with the handle bars and Honda engine guards. The mirrors are scratched along with a dent in the tank from the handle bars. The left driver peg broke off and the transmission cover got scratched above the engine guard. I faired fine, I had all my gear on; (Shoei RF 1100, Sedici Leather Jacket, Alpinestars Full leather gloves, Dainese Cotton riding pants and steel toe boots) my pinky finger hurts a little but mostly just my pride and soon to be check book.
7272282b0766650a6e36ca229032eec1.jpg
94f7772e51ed2f00856a24ba205b4834.jpg
0c6bc7fcfbb1bb68b1cf9c81e50703d5.jpg
a3680c3ca4d64b252225aa80c32f7fd2.jpg
92319da1b2b100d784bda9c942b23c3f.jpg
3a02ddf3b1910288b597fbe0b6d04c96.jpg
6251ef394e337c42f7cab29a4592b546.jpg
b85f8335442cc4c091f45f301cd52688.jpg
64e907e55d9b59aef32686760b09b50f.jpg
6c307a9f51eb147e293e09c1db5b0d78.jpg
7a95c533e2d00d15da85136af874c211.jpg
5d6f32c6c89c49cb8e9d4304898c77b2.jpg
6fb8d512e781fce13fdef1994ddf0427.jpg
b9a480febb0f5516ceaa992358b988c9.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3d1b75505bd1e7ca61c5edf825e6c1b0.jpg
d9ac6478578ae69d90e542925fac216f.jpg
bd5b3151470f93627995b912503a2b6c.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well, at least you're ok. Had a friend break his collarbone that way. His head was saved by the full face helmet he had on.

Sorry about your bike.
 
Ah man! Sorry to hear that. So much damage in such slow speed. ATGATT served you well, and the engine guards did their part. Like you said "it could have been worse," be glad it wasn't.
 
Wow, sorry for the damage, glad you're OK.

I keep saying to myself, I hope if I ever go down it's my fault and not something else like mechanical failure, road surface, deer or a car etc.

Won't make it any better of course, down is down for whatever reason, but I keep thinking it will.
 
Wow...could have been much worse...glad you came out of it alright.
 
Bummer. Like others have said, bike can be fixed. As long as body and mind are healthy, we are good. Sorry to read this.
 
ATGATT, unfortunately I don't always have it on, saved you from personally injury, the bike can be fixed. Glad to hear your OK:thumbsup:

Does not look like a direct hit to the engine guards, those guards can twist the frame and cause more damage than good. It looks like the guard gave before any frame damage.
 
As Blockhead said, I'm glad you are OK! Insurance can fix your bike. And if you don't have any, check the for sale section on here. Lots of parts show up.

When I dented my tank I was bummed for a week. But I replaced it and now its like it never happened.

That sand/loose gravel in the road is what worries me the most.

Please keep us up with the repairs. We really like pics here :)
 
Wow, Sorry to hear about this. Glad that you are OK. Bike doesn't look too bad either. Hopefully your insurance will cover it and the aftermarket parts.!!
This really puts things into perspective, on how easily something can go wrong while riding.

Like Popgun said, keep us updated on the fixings with some photos.
 
CBen, may I add to the chorus and say I'm pleased to hear you came through this OK. The bike can be fixed.

Take care.
 
Wow and at such a slow speed too! Glad you're ok...that's the important thing.
This brings up a question? What pants does everyone wear? I'm always
in a jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet... but just plain old jeans. Suggestions anyone? Sorry to hijack your thread... again, I'm glad you're ok
 
Mostly motorcycle jeans. Supposed to be Kevlar, but I'm not completely sure.
 
I sometimes wear jeans, but when I do I have Bohn Body Armor on underneath them. I have not yet put this combination to the test -- and I hope that I never do, but it should be better then just my old cotton jeans for sure!
 
Thank God you are OK, that is the main thing. The damage to the bike blows, but it sort of comes with the territory. I have gone down at some point on basically every bike I have ever owned over the last 40 years, and 98% of the time it was things like gravel, leaves, oil, black ice, etc. that you could not see due to night time, blind corners, etc. If you hit one of those things in the middle of a turn there is not a whole lot that can be done if your front tire looses traction-you are gonna go down.

There has been more than one occasion when I was sliding down the road with parts of my bike tinkling on the pavement along side of me.

I look at it this way...it is a great excuse to customize your bike!
 
The bike can be fixed less painfully then you but it still is terrible. At least this gives you some options on what replacement parts you want to go with. Let us know how the restore goes.
 
Back
Top