Another month in the books

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Tomorrow is the first day of October. Maybe another 30 days of decent riding here in the midwest, before it starts becoming iffy for snow

After tonights ride I sat down and added up my numbers for the month and year as I do at the end of every month.

Numbers for September:

Rode 28 out of 30 days
Rode the ST 1652 miles
Rode the CB 1349 miles
Total miles ridden for the month 3001

Numbers for year:

Total days ridden for year 193 out of 273
Rode ST 8081 miles
Rode CB 7931 Miles
Rode YPV 275 miles (traded in on Honda Rancher ATV with snow plow)
Total miles ridden for year 16,287

My goal for this year was 15,000 miles so that goal was accomplished (last year I rode 27,052 miles and felt that was too much ). Since I plan on riding some more this year I am going to up the goal to 20,000 miles for this year. So 3,713 miles to go in the next 92 days.

Will get started on it tomorrow . ;)
 
Go the Ferret! Good work.
 
Well done Ferret that's a lot of miles. Makes me wonder who has the highest mileage on their CB so far? Won't be me that's for sure, anyone care to share their odometer readings? :biker: :clap:
 
Thread starter
My CB miles are shared between a 2013 I put 8500 miles on, and just over 16,000 on my 2014 so, around 25,000 combined for me. I know there are at least 2 members with mileage into the mid 30's on single units, and I think RandyB would have been way up there if he hadn't had his accident.

Since I retired in May 2013 I have ridden a little over 57,000 miles
 
That's nearly two (1.822) laps of the continent of Australia stopping in all capital cities including Hobart.
When you clock up 20,000 miles that will become (2.23 laps) that's based on a 14300 km (9000 miles) lap distance that google maps gives you for the trip, thats some seat time.

Ferret how do you find the time? (post #6 answered my question)

Do you know how many gallons of fuel have been used, recalling that the Apollo Saturn V rocket got 7 inches to the gallon.

Regards and once again thanks for what you do for our forum.
 
Thread starter
Lol..noroom..I don't WANT to know how much gas and how many tires and other consumables I have used. Don't want the Mrs to know either.
 
Great riding year for you, Mickey. I do believe that I will start logging my miles next year, but it will be a lot easier for me since I put on about half the miles as you do.

I have said before that the one big drawback to having a wife who is an active rider is that I can't hide my gear purchases.

20,000 miles by midday Sunday in 3 seasons on my CB1100. Pales by comparison to Pterry and Ferret, but the question was posed.
 
Yes ferret, it's a sad reminder that our riding season is almost over.
By 31 October I usually hang up the helmet and call it a day - another year.
Some of my friends continue to hold out for fine days into November, but I prefer to do the winter storage servicing while it's still relatively mild, rather than on cold days in November.
To me, it's just not worth it to hold out for the off chance of a mild riding day and still be faced with the storage needs of each bike as the days get colder.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Tomorrow is the first day of October. Maybe another 30 days of decent riding here in the midwest, before it starts becoming iffy for snow

After tonights ride I sat down and added up my numbers for the month and year as I do at the end of every month.

Numbers for September:

Rode 28 out of 30 days
Rode the ST 1652 miles
Rode the CB 1349 miles
Total miles ridden for the month 3001

Numbers for year:

Total days ridden for year 193 out of 273
Rode ST 8081 miles
Rode CB 7931 Miles
Rode YPV 275 miles (traded in on Honda Rancher ATV with snow plow)
Total miles ridden for year 16,287

My goal for this year was 15,000 miles so that goal was accomplished (last year I rode 27,052 miles and felt that was too much ). Since I plan on riding some more this year I am going to up the goal to 20,000 miles for this year. So 3,713 miles to go in the next 92 days.

Will get started on it tomorrow . ;)
Must say I am VERY impressed with this system of accounting for all of your riding mileage! Not sure whether to be more impressed with the actual numbers posted or with the actual poster of the numbers. Perhaps at long last I've found another human being on the planet with an even higher degree of OCD than my own. LOL Alas, now you've given me yet one more thing to keep track of...!

BTW, kudos to you for racking up so many trouble-free, accident-free miles! Three cheers for your attention to detail and careful maintenance of your steadfast CB1100! May you continue to enjoy many, many more miles of "smile-age!" :thumbsup:
fritz
 
I'd like to share this video about how to feel riding motorcycle, 3 guys on a weekend trip leaving everyday life, having fun.






Ups, wanted to post this in a new thread, clumsy fingers. Could some kind soul move this out of here?
 
Thread starter
lol thanks fritz..I think. I've kept daily track for the last 10 years now. It's real easy, I keep a calendar on the kitchen table. Everyday I write down which bike and how many miles, and highlight it in yellow. End of month I add them up, and add the totals to previous months. Wish I had started keeping track in 1965 when I started riding on the street.

Here is last month's



Another 122 miles today to start October. Windy, 52 degrees when I took off, and only ran through 3 pop up rain showers. Gads I hate fall.
 
Ferret, that is truly a very simple and straightforward way to remember to post your mileage after each ride. Thanks for the tip - has prompted me to start tracking my own mileage since you make it look so easy!

Thanks!
fritz
 
Ferret I am impressed. I kind of keep a log in my mind of miles ridden but that is a great simple way to keep track. I would assume with that laid out in front of you it is a motivator to keep riding on days you may not be so inclined. Great job.
 
Thread starter
Yea it's hard to miss a day when you see you've ridden the previous 24 lol. It has to be raining pretty hard when I wake up and keep raining (or snowing) all day to keep me off two wheels. If it rains in the morning but quits, I will get out in the evening. If it's going to rain in the evening I will get out in the morning, and I try to get in at least 30 miles every time I fire one up. The days with double posts I get out both morning and evening maybe on the same bike, maybe on 2 different bikes.

I love riding, can you tell? lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Tomorrow is the first day of October. Maybe another 30 days of decent riding here in the midwest, before it starts becoming iffy for snow

After tonights ride I sat down and added up my numbers for the month and year as I do at the end of every month.

Numbers for September:

Rode 28 out of 30 days
Rode the ST 1652 miles
Rode the CB 1349 miles
Total miles ridden for the month 3001

Numbers for year:

Total days ridden for year 193 out of 273
Rode ST 8081 miles
Rode CB 7931 Miles
Rode YPV 275 miles (traded in on Honda Rancher ATV with snow plow)
Total miles ridden for year 16,287

My goal for this year was 15,000 miles so that goal was accomplished (last year I rode 27,052 miles and felt that was too much ). Since I plan on riding some more this year I am going to up the goal to 20,000 miles for this year. So 3,713 miles to go in the next 92 days.

Will get started on it tomorrow . ;)

I had no goal this spring. I didn't plan on this - I tripped over the darn thing, looking at an old K100, used, at the Honda store.

I was worried I might not get enough use out of it to merit its purchase. And, buying new? That's when the depreciation hits. Yer wastin' yer money, kid...

Instead, I've been on voluntary layoff, and then involuntary furlough, most of this summer. Been from Central Wisconsin to the coast; Oregon to Seattle. Didn't get Colorado in...but there's still a few weeks.

11,900 miles as of this morning. If you'd told me I'd do that when I registered here...I'd have figured you for a lunatic and just left. :rofl:
The ferret_imp said:
Yea it's hard to miss a day when you see you've ridden the previous 24 lol. It has to be raining pretty hard when I wake up and keep raining (or snowing) all day to keep me off two wheels. If it rains in the morning but quits, I will get out in the evening. If it's going to rain in the evening I will get out in the morning, and I try to get in at least 30 miles every time I fire one up. The days with double posts I get out both morning and evening maybe on the same bike, maybe on 2 different bikes.

I love riding, can you tell? lol
Ah, Mr. Ferret...you need to relocate.

I have NEVER been in such mild, dry weather as I have found here in the Five Valleys area of Montana.

Rains are seldom; and mostly short-lived. ONLY a COUPLE of days since March, kept me off the cycle The only difference is between overcast and sunny; hot or cool or just right. Oh...and, clear versus thick, acrid smoke from forest fires.

Otherwise...PERFECT weather. I've taken to starting my truck once a month, just to keep it in running condition.
 
Thread starter
Wow really? I have spent a LOT of time in Montana (mostly Sept thru Dec). One of my best friends and bowhunting partners lives in Belgrade MT. In Sept I would call it one of the most beautiful places on the planet. In Dec, Jan, Feb, or Mar with 10' deep snow, and 20 below zero temps I would call it one of the most inhospitable places on earth lol
 
Ferret I do believe you need to move to a different climate. If you lived in California how many miles would you possibly ride a year! Oh my!
 
Back
Top