Another chain and sprocket question

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Need to make a choice between Honda OEM sprockets/chain an other 3rd party vendor options. Honda OEM chain is almost twice the cost of 3rd party stuff and I tend to think you get what you pay for. I was intrigued by DID 530 ZVMX X-Ring Chain but saw some forum comments about oem steel lasting longer than plated products. Waiting for your thoughts & experiences ... less the BBQ side trips :)
BACKGROUND:
In a previous post I noted a clanking/clicking noise coming from drive chain area. From the feedback it seems I am due for a new chain and maybe sprockets at 50K miles. I just put 6K+ miles on my xcountry trip so am going to take bike to dealer for oil, checkup, etc. I anticipate that dealer may verify clanking/clicking noise is drive train related so I want to pre-select the replacement part myself (don't trust most of the dealers/mechs in San Diego).
 
Well, the OEM chain lasted 50,000 miles!! OEM is nearly 2x as expensive...how much is that $100-150 more? Asking cause I haven't had to replace yet. If you're going to keep the bike for another 50k miles, I'd go OEM. If you might sell in a year or two, maybe the other.
 
I have to agree with pdedse, if you got 50k out of the chain/sprockets, that's the best endorsement for OEM you'll get!
 
The OEM was a DID on my bikes and I replaced them with a DID ZVXM -X, the plated version : well made and easy to clean and looks nice.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Try Lee’s Cycles in San Diego. Excellent mechanics and honest service.
Hey LongRanger ... when was the last time Lees Cycles did work for you? The reason I ask is because I had them do about $4000+ of work on my 1991 750 Nighthawk about 4 years ago in 2015. The ownership had just changed. New owner was son/father guys. Son was mostly desk guy. Dad was supposed to be a 20 year Honda Factory mechanic from Long Beach area. They had my bike for almost 6 months and messed up a couple things (like my gas tank and lost my petcock and gave it back to me with one stuck ring). I had to undo the gas tank mess up with a separate vendor but the bike finally got running ok.
 
My apologies, I was unaware of the ownership change. Please disregard my testimonial. I left San Diego in 2002. Back then, they were a highly regarded shop.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
My apologies, I was unaware of the ownership change. Please disregard my testimonial. I left San Diego in 2002. Back then, they were a highly regarded shop.
No worries man! It seems like the cost of living is driving all the good/smart mechanics out of San Diego (Calif).
 
Does Honda make chains? As above, looks like oem is DID. The issue is probably more important for the sprockets. Coming up on 30k and was just thinking I’d buy DID chain and oem sprockets.
 
DAC_imp said:
Does Honda make chains? As above, looks like oem is DID. The issue is probably more important for the sprockets. Coming up on 30k and was just thinking I’d buy DID chain and oem sprockets.
Honda uses different suppliers. Among them are DID and RK for chains, and Sunstar for sprockets and discs. However, there are different spec and quality levels within each brand. A batch of product may meet specs, but at the lower end of the spectrum.
Because the CB1100 is a Japan-assembled bike, a source of particular pride, higher levels are usually specified. Honda owns and oversees their assembly plants in different countries, but they must often yield to local management. Japan standards and expectations are higher.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Does Honda make chains? As above, looks like oem is DID. The issue is probably more important for the sprockets. Coming up on 30k and was just thinking I’d buy DID chain and oem sprockets.
Honda uses different suppliers. Among them are DID and RK for chains, and Sunstar for sprockets and discs. However, there are different spec and quality levels within each brand. A batch of product may meet specs, but at the lower end of the spectrum.
Because the CB1100 is a Japan-assembled bike, a source of particular pride, higher levels are usually specified. Honda owns and oversees their assembly plants in different countries, but they must often yield to local management. Japan standards and expectations are higher.
Honda uses different suppliers. Among them are DID and RK for chains, and Sunstar for sprockets and discs. However, there are different spec and quality levels within each brand. A batch of product may meet specs, but at the lower end of the spectrum.
Because the CB1100 is a Japan-assembled bike, a source of particular pride, higher levels are usually specified. Honda owns and oversees their assembly plants in different countries, but they must often yield to local management. Japan standards and expectations are higher.
...and this is why I like Honda products and its Q U A L I T Y /Made in Japan.
Not to go political or anything like that the best automotive quality/assembly comes from Japan, S-Korea, Europe..in that order, and you may disagree with it....
 
Before ordering an OEM chain (with a Honda part number), I'd verify with your Honda parts guy that the chain has a master link. The DID or RK chains that come on the new bike do not, which is good and bad. Good, in that all the links are made with the same pins (no rivet to possibly fail if staked incorrectly) but BAD in that in order to replace it, you'd have to remove your swingarm to get it around the countershaft sprocket.

I'd go with OEM sprockets and a high-end DID or RK chain (with rivet master link).
 
When I ordered my DID chain from Sprocket Center in CA I did order an extra master link incase I messed one up but never needed it as I used the proper DID tool to brake and connect the chain. Having the right tool for any job is money well spend.
 
All my bikes I used OEM chains (when not using shaft drive) and sprockets. No complaints. Never premature wear and never experienced failure.
 
When I put a new chain and sprockets on, I first count and compare the number of links to be sure, then install the rivet-style master link on the new chain when it's on the bench. I assemble it, peen it over with a hammer, stake it with a chisel.

Putting an endless chain on just means pulling a shock bolt loose and slipping the swingarm pivot bolt out, really not a hard job. But if you're not changing front sprocket I can see how it would be easier threading it through and then riveting it.
 
In the DID instructions for their chain tool they give you the right measurement for peening over the rivet , check with a micrometer and you be safe.
 
Thread starter
Thank you everyone for your knowledge ! I decided to go with the stock oem sprocket and chain replacements. After that, on to getting "a real valve adjustment" with shims and everything (VS just a valve clearance check :)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
All my bikes I used OEM chains (when not using shaft drive) and sprockets. No complaints. Never premature wear and never experienced failure.
In my old bikes, I used to buy OEM sprockets, but would play around with going up/down 1 tooth on the front, or up/down 3 to 5 teeth on the rear. When I used to race my little 100cc Suzuki on the flat track we had in the clay pits in Florida, I always carried in my tool bag a one tooth smaller front sprocket I could change out in about 10 minutes or less in case some one wanted to race. I never let them see why I had to go away a few minutes to relieve myself before the race. I beat a few 250CC Savages, remember those, on our small track because I could run almost wide open in second. Boy what memories just talking about changing chains and sprockets brings back. Thanks!
 
Back
Top