Anniversary trip to MI from Chicago...but where to go??

specialist8

Running like a top
Thread starter
The gal and I are going to celebrate our one year anniversary this September (wait for applause). So we wanted to venture out and do something memorable instead of getting reservations for two and getting a $40 6oz steak that I'm supposed to say is delicious and totally worth the money. A three day tripper we're thinking.

Weather permitting (do I even have to say that?), we want to go to Michigan on the CB, but somewhere close as my girl is still getting acquainted with the roads and I think anything more than 150 miles would decrease the fun factor for her. In turn, that reduces the fun for me then too. Holland, MI is about the furthest we'd probably like to go as we're coming from Chicago. I'm unfamiliar with MI, so hence the request for sites to see, roads to take, places to eat/stay. We both like trying new restaurants and a brewery stop/winery tour is totally in the cards. I'm basically asking for some concierge service from this forum with motorcycle minded minds. I realize northern MI is a gold mine of sites to see, but a 150mi max is preferred.

Throw out any recommendations! Remember, my relationship is dependent on this going well :) No pressure.
 
Congrats. I have not ridden much in Michigan, but I do know of a lot of fun things to do there. I'll post some thoughts when I have a free moment, which is not right at this moment. I'm sure some MI riders will chime in. I do recall a really nice road that comes out of Big Rapids (not Grand Rapids), but again, I'll post something a little later.
 
Ride north to Milwaukee and go to a Brewers game, do the Miller Tour (my Daughter works there), go to the Harley Museum and then take the high speed Ferry to Michigan.

The Milwaukee Art Museum currently has a showing of art Master pieces on loan from another museum.

She will love you for all the great things to do in Milwaukee!
 
Thread starter
Wallis, with all good intentions, that is the exact opposite of a trip I'd like to take. We're both not baseball or macro beer fans. The Harley museum would be pretty cool I'm sure. Plus I'd like to stay in MI and use my bike only for transportation as this is only a three day trip. Can't really be traversing through three states with the limited time I have. Thanks for the input anyway. Your lady must be pretty happy with all there is to do around WI.
 
Here's a nice little list of craft breweries in (mostly) SW Michigan
http://westmichiganbeertours.com/breweries/ If you can make it as far a Grand Rapids, there's a huge craft beer culture there. You could start by picking a few breweries that are in realative close proximity to each other and then see what nearby town seems to fill your needs as a base camp. When we travel by bike, we prefer to stay within walking distance of a place with decent food and drink. We find TripAdvisor to be our friend in searching for such spots. More later as I think of it. We went for dinner downtown to Russian Tea Time. Food was great, but vodka and Tuesday do not mix well. I'm sure I'll have some more suggestions when my head clears. BTW, what weekend in September are you making this trip ?
 
Thread starter
MTC, thanks for the info. There's SO many breweries...I think we're going to head to Saugatuck for the trip during Labor Day weekend (9/4-9/7). Will definitely hit up some of those places whilst there though.
 
I was going to suggest Saugatuck as a great place to visit. If you're fortunate enough to find a place to stay that close to downtown, you'll have the perfect "base camp"-- great places to eat and drink and you can walk to them and back.
 
The Gilmore Museum is a great place. Lots of old school charm, not to mention the outstanding variety of vintage & antique vehicles.

Home
 
Yes, I'd go over on the West side of Lake MI. My usual recommendations start from Sleeping Bear Dunes, through Traverse City then off to Machinac Island, but you don't have to go that far.

I'd just look at a map and go, maybe avoid Benton Harbor, used to be riddled with crime.
 
Thread starter
The Maritime museum could be cool. Something different to see opposed to all the car museums that litter the Midwest.

If I had I had my choice (& more time), I'd be hitting up Sleeping Bear Dunes ASAP. Was voted the most beautiful place in America recently. Just too far away for a two-up trip. Traverse City and Empire would be great places to set up camp too. It's easy to forget how close those places are when living in Illinois, but I really need to get up there.

I actually booked a hotel in Holland, MI, but we'll be visiting Saugatuck as it's close to there too. There were no hotels in Saug that weren't over $200/night and not a B&B so Holland had a lot more reasonable options.
 
I've never explored Holland, MI so I looked on a map. It may be mostly a residential street, but I think I'd take a little time to ride down South Shore Drive to Macatawa and walk out to the lighthouse there. Google Streetview makes it look like a nice ride.
 
Thread starter
Sounds like something we'd like! Will check that out when we're there for sure

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Any of you guys have experience taking the country roads (non-interstate) up to Holland, MI? My dad suggested I do that but I feel that it will take a lot of time getting there opposed to taking the interstate. Thoughts?
 
specialist8_imp said:
Any of you guys have experience taking the country roads (non-interstate) up to Holland, MI? My dad suggested I do that but I feel that it will take a lot of time getting there opposed to taking the interstate. Thoughts?
Not specifically to Holland MI, but your dad's advice is generally very good. Much of the fun of a bike trip is enjoying the scenery and meeting the people along the way. The old adage of it's the journey not the destination really holds true, so take your time and enjoy the ride. Since it is only a day ride up to there anyway, the worst case is that it will maybe add a few extra hours to the trip. Lots of really great scenic roads, small towns and other interesting stops for you and your SO in WI and MI that will be missed if you are on the interstate. I would mainly use that only for making time when you need it and then on the way home at the end.
 
Depending on what side of Chicago you are starting from, up here in WI is an option. Up near Kohler, WI is made for anniversaries.

Yes, no matter where you go it sounds like you should research easy driving routes.
 
So...it looks like you're leaving on a Friday. That's good because Saturday traffic in SW Michigan towns can be brutal, especially on a holiday weekend. If you have all day Friday, I'd plan on leaving early and have a nice breakfast at the iconic Lou Mitchell's Coffee Pancakes Breakfast Lunch Burgers - Chicago Diner & Food Then I would hop on LSD south and stop at Calumet Fisheries Calumet Fisheries . They open at 9 on Fridays and have an amazing selection of smoked fish. Pack that away in your bag for lunch (you'll need some crackers and maybe some cream cheese). From Calumet Fisheries, I think I'd get on the interstate until I got around the bottom of Lake Michigan and get off on US20/US12/Dunes Hwy. Look on Google Maps or whatever and find Red Arrow Highway--you'll go through a lot of towns, but hopefully it will still be early enough to avoid heavy traffic. Stop at Warren Dunes or any number state/city parks to have your smoked fish and crackers and just enjoy your ride up the shore.

There aren't a ton of really interesting roads in the area, but most of the small towns are pretty charming and you might enjoy getting off the bike for a bit to explore some of them.

If you don't like smoked fish, then skip Calumet Fisheries and grab a bite at one of the many local drive-ins you will pass along the way.

So, there's my suggestion. Hopefully, someone from that part of Michigan can chime in with some other ideas.
 
Thread starter
The Calumet Fisheries sounds ideal MTC! I was thinking the same route too for finally taking the 'backroads'. Thanks for the ideas. Can't wait for that smoked fish.
 
Thread starter
I think so! Going to make a checklist based off of what Ferret gave me but to a lesser extent. I'm not going too far, so the need for a lot of emergency stuff won't be so needed. My biggest dilemma thus far is whether or not to take the Plexistar II with me. I've really enjoyed being able to get some wind on me for the warmer weather, but I fear that with a 180mi trip, I'll be fatigued quicker with all the wind. I'm leaning on the decision to probably attach it, and if I get too hot, ditch the jacket.

I plan on taking a detailed account of our trip. Calumet Fisheries being one of the first stops.
 
Back
Top