And I thought I could handle cold weather.

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
We're still in the 80s here at home, but I'm looking forward to packing my mesh gear away for cooler weather. I'm wondering if I'll miss my old BMW's heated grips when it gets down to the lower 50s on some of my winter commute mornings.

My wife and I just took a driving trip, and since she likes to pack for temperature possibilities ranging from volcanic to arctic, I decided to help her by listing the forecasted temperatures for each of our stops. The forcasts were wildly optimistic, and it was much colder in most places than we anticipated. But, we survived just fine.

I was surprised to see as many riders as we did in some places. I guess you just get used to your surroundings. We were in Flagstaff, waiting at a red light, and a guy wearing jeans and a regular textile jacket whizzed by on an FZ07. For reference, I took a quick shot of our car's temp reading.

Guess that makes me sort of a wuss...
 
I frequently see "real" HD riders cruising down the freeways around here in the winter, wearing only a knit wool cap (no helmet), while the temps are in the 20's. It's actually quite impressive. I'm still a fair weather San Diego wimp myself. Low-40's and dry roads are my limit.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
We're still in the 80s here at home, but I'm looking forward to packing my mesh gear away for cooler weather. I'm wondering if I'll miss my old BMW's heated grips when it gets down to the lower 50s on some of my winter commute mornings.

My wife and I just took a driving trip, and since she likes to pack for temperature possibilities ranging from volcanic to arctic, I decided to help her by listing the forecasted temperatures for each of our stops. The forcasts were wildly optimistic, and it was much colder in most places than we anticipated. But, we survived just fine.

I was surprised to see as many riders as we did in some places. I guess you just get used to your surroundings. We were in Flagstaff, waiting at a red light, and a guy wearing jeans and a regular textile jacket whizzed by on an FZ07. For reference, I took a quick shot of our car's temp reading.

Guess that makes me sort of a wuss...
Yeah, but you never know how far he was going. It's one thing to ride 1/2 hour plus when it's freezing, but the fz07 rider might have been on a short 10 minute ride to work or back home.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, I know... I was thinking the same thing when I saw the guy. But 18 degrees is 18 degrees. We were freezing just from the walk from the hotel door to the car.

On my last job, I rode through a canyon that could dip down to the mid 30s for a few minutes in a few places, for a few days in winter, and that was enough for me. I'm with Long Ranger.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I frequently see "real" HD riders cruising down the freeways around here in the winter, wearing only a knit wool cap (no helmet), while the temps are in the 20's. It's actually quite impressive. I'm still a fair weather San Diego wimp myself. Low-40's and dry roads are my limit.
Many HDs have a pretty decent wind-breaking set-up.
 
40 is my low although this weekend I started a couple of rides when it was 35. But I knew it was warming up quickly. I'm feeling the cabin fever already closing in....
 
In 1981 I rode at -9F. Then a couple of years ago -2F, so I really have no limit as to temp, but prefer it above freezing anyway. These days I have the proper clothes for riding in those conditions...freeze out base gear and balaclava, electric jacket liner and glove liners and heavy cordura outter gear. (In 1981 I had a snowmobile suit, snow mobile boots, fleece lined leather mittens and a wool scarf lol)

These days when it gets anywhere near 40 the elect gear comes out. I'll be wearing it on a ride in about an hour in fact lol

3c0127da7a6861094fb1949e40c9244f.jpg


64e5bff3cd97a22379d29cbe0ceab59d.jpg


a791c9f36ad07f192fb56b53765011b5.jpg
 
Thread starter
Bleh! No thank you sir! All of this just reminded me that I need a new neck warmer before it gets cold here. Wore a hole through my old one last year, and some 45 degree air snuck in and made me very uncomfortable.

Funny, when we went on our road trip last week, my cousins were telling me that there was a chance that we'd hit some snow in Colorado or northern New Mexico. I considered the remaining poor weather traction ability of our tires which have done 65,000 miles, the cost of replacing said tires before our trip, or renting a car. Renting was the cheapest option, and heavy snow conditions over something called "Wolf Creek Pass" (thanks, Waze) basically paid for the rental in peace of mind.
 
Snow is a drag indeed. However, I dislike more is the wet salt brine on the road. The bike issues it can create are obvious. But don't forget the gear gets a heavy dose of the crap too.

I much prefer the dry [salt] roads in winter.
 
Thread starter
Another good reason to rent a car on a long road trip. Handed it back salty and dirty, got home, and had a clean car in the garage!
 
At the other end of the spectrum I've also ridden in +113 F. Once rode in +105F and 32F in one 24 hour period.

I can tell you its easier to stay warm at -2 than it is to stay cool at +113.
 
At least at 45C, A/C is nearby.

- - -

Many years ago in Bracebridge, Ontario it was -50C (-58F on ye olde scale) and the only cars that could start and remain running were two old Nissan Pathfinders. Sorry to say to Forum folks: I doubt the CB would have started either. Even a car on a block heater did not start.

-50C is when you exhale and the vapor drifts back at you and turns every hair on your face white with ice.
 
I wimped out on the Death Valley trip because 80% of the ride would be between 40 & 50 degrees. Took the truck.

A buddy and his half wimped out. They trailed to St. George from Parks (snow) - but even they had Hippo Hands (dah bomb!). Shorter ride helped too.

My hand guards came in while I was on my trip, something I need for colder longer rides.

But the truck is pretty hard to beat when the weather turns abusive.
 
My place here fluctuate between 28C in the morning to 40C in the afternoon. Its great to live in equator line.... Rideable all year long except during major flood... and sometimes a nice riding in the evening rain help cool down the heat from riding... Anything below 20C might be too cold for riders here with our summer gear.... and if its raining in the 20C and below, I will be shivering till the handle bar wobble like a drunkard (some highlands here are in the range of 12C-25C). I still think riders who rides in the low temp autumn and winters are real tough, even with proper gear....
 
zirconxi_imp said:
My place here fluctuate between 28C in the morning to 40C in the afternoon. Its great to live in equator line.... Rideable all year long except during major flood... and sometimes a nice riding in the evening rain help cool down the heat from riding... Anything below 20C might be too cold for riders here with our summer gear.... and if its raining in the 20C and below, I will be shivering till the handle bar wobble like a drunkard (some highlands here are in the range of 12C-25C). I still think riders who rides in the low temp autumn and winters are real tough, even with proper gear....
12C sounds glorious Z.
 
Thread starter
Don't blame you on the Death Valley trip, Rboe. My wife and I went in late April. Temps were very nice, but the wind was blowing like mad. There were four bikes in front of our car heading into the long flat road that heads to the long hill up. Two adventure bikes with tons of luggage and two Harleys. Cross winds were battering all of us, and there was a giant sandstorm visible ahead in the distance. My wife said "are those bikes really going to ride into that?" As we got closer, the bikes slowed for a bit, then gunned it and all came out the other side. Bad enough in our car, wouldn't have wanted to be on a bike!
 
Geez. Take an extra air filter? Extra eye drops?

Gone in 60_imp said:
Don't blame you on the Death Valley trip, Rboe. My wife and I went in late April. Temps were very nice, but the wind was blowing like mad. There were four bikes in front of our car heading into the long flat road that heads to the long hill up. Two adventure bikes with tons of luggage and two Harleys. Cross winds were battering all of us, and there was a giant sandstorm visible ahead in the distance. My wife said "are those bikes really going to ride into that?" As we got closer, the bikes slowed for a bit, then gunned it and all came out the other side. Bad enough in our car, wouldn't have wanted to be on a bike!
 
Back
Top