... and I couldn?t trust my eyes

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Near Salzburg in Austria, 2 or 3 days ago, and I am passed by a m/c...
on a motorway covered in snow, the tarmac underneath frozen from the night before ( down to about 1 or 2 Fahrenheit ), in blistering cold wind, trucks everywhere, and my wipers having a hard time to clear the windshield. I must have been driving at about 55 mph, the m/c crossing lanes and splitting lanes at about 75. Gee, I could trust my senses. Was I dreaming? No, this ghost rider was for real.
 
Before anybody says anything, I havent been in Austria in a decade
 
The ferret_imp said:
Before anybody says anything, I havent been in Austria in a decade
This is one of the best comments I've read all month.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
j3gq_imp said:
Near Salzburg in Austria, 2 or 3 days ago, and I am passed by a m/c...
on a motorway covered in snow, the tarmac underneath frozen from the night before ( down to about 1 or 2 Fahrenheit ), in blistering cold wind, trucks everywhere, and my wipers having a hard time to clear the windshield. I must have been driving at about 55 mph, the m/c crossing lanes and splitting lanes at about 75. Gee, I could trust my senses. Was I dreaming? No, this ghost rider was for real.
Was he carrying a piano or its parts with him..??? , if yes, then I know who it was :)
 
j3gq_imp said:
Near Salzburg in Austria, 2 or 3 days ago, and I am passed by a m/c...
on a motorway covered in snow, the tarmac underneath frozen from the night before ( down to about 1 or 2 Fahrenheit ), in blistering cold wind, trucks everywhere, and my wipers having a hard time to clear the windshield. I must have been driving at about 55 mph, the m/c crossing lanes and splitting lanes at about 75. Gee, I could trust my senses. Was I dreaming? No, this ghost rider was for real.
Could have been a rider from Quebec, Canada.
 
Thread starter
alprider_imp said:
The world belongs to the courageous
... between the moment when home-brew courage spills into the front lobes, and briefly thereafter, when reality kicks in. Like everything else in the world, a little may be important, too much is deadly.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Near Salzburg in Austria, 2 or 3 days ago, and I am passed by a m/c...
on a motorway covered in snow, the tarmac underneath frozen from the night before ( down to about 1 or 2 Fahrenheit ), in blistering cold wind, trucks everywhere, and my wipers having a hard time to clear the windshield. I must have been driving at about 55 mph, the m/c crossing lanes and splitting lanes at about 75. Gee, I could trust my senses. Was I dreaming? No, this ghost rider was for real.
Probably in a hurry to get home before the weather got too bad to ride.
 
j3gq_imp said:
alprider_imp said:
The world belongs to the courageous
... between the moment when home-brew courage spills into the front lobes, and briefly thereafter, when reality kicks in. Like everything else in the world, a little may be important, too much is deadly.
Ah, for a moment I was going to ask you more about those "home-brew courage pills", but you had written "spills". Ah well.

:)
 
j3gq_imp said:
Near Salzburg in Austria, 2 or 3 days ago, and I am passed by a m/c...
on a motorway covered in snow, the tarmac underneath frozen from the night before ( down to about 1 or 2 Fahrenheit ), in blistering cold wind, trucks everywhere, and my wipers having a hard time to clear the windshield. I must have been driving at about 55 mph, the m/c crossing lanes and splitting lanes at about 75. Gee, I could trust my senses. Was I dreaming? No, this ghost rider was for real.
I think that motorcycle rider could turn into a ghost rider pretty soon...
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
alprider_imp said:
The world belongs to the courageous
... between the moment when home-brew courage spills into the front lobes, and briefly thereafter, when reality kicks in. Like everything else in the world, a little may be important, too much is deadly.
Ah, for a moment I was going to ask you more about those "home-brew courage pills", but you had written "spills". Ah well.

:)
Ah, for a moment I was going to ask you more about those "home-brew courage pills", but you had written "spills". Ah well.

:)
:excited:
 
Reminds me of a trip a year ago to visit some friends in the California Sierras. On a twisty mountain road near Lake Tahoe we got caught in a snap hail storm that was so heavy that our CRV started sliding around. We pulled over in a spot that had a wide enough turnout. A state highway snowplow pulled up to see if we were ok, and led us to a covered parking area for road equipment where we could sit out the worst of it. While we were waiting, we saw a guy on an R1200GS chugging his way through the hail like it was nothing. I couldn't trust my eyes on that one!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Reminds me of a trip a year ago to visit some friends in the California Sierras. On a twisty mountain road near Lake Tahoe we got caught in a snap hail storm that was so heavy that our CRV started sliding around. We pulled over in a spot that had a wide enough turnout. A state highway snowplow pulled up to see if we were ok, and led us to a covered parking area for road equipment where we could sit out the worst of it. While we were waiting, we saw a guy on an R1200GS chugging his way through the hail like it was nothing. I couldn't trust my eyes on that one!
All can be good until the first turn.

= = =

I once got caught in deep, wet snow (about 5") on a 550 cc inline-4. Of course I had road tires, but a bit aggressive Avon on the front. To make matters worse, my throttle decided to stick, so a sort of throttle lock. The cold/ice clearly impacted the throttle.

Anyway, I made it home. It was a bit crazy, but calm on the straightaways. Turning at intersections was where my metal was tested. Anyway, it went way better than expected. I remember my chain being all caked up with fresh snow. Luck may have been in the fact that the 550 was lacking in low-end torque.

The next day my riding buddies tried it themselves on their 400 cc twins and they both dropped them (one in a major intersection).
 
Did someone say hail? Longranger, Offroad and I in Colorado

580b32f31491f65ade794b475ca44788.jpg


Did someone say riding in the snow?

Yee haw

7e0628dff315da1acb462002ea752180.jpg


12494b61da6b8fdec76e088fdae3cb5d.jpg
 
Yea that bottom one was kinda scary in the corners lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea that bottom one was kinda scary in the corners lol
Was that the FJR? That bike would make me nervous on slick roads, especially starts and stops, since it is so top heavy.
 
Yea that was the FJR. You really learn " soft inputs" on throttle, brakes, leaning, and steering by riding in conditions like that lol.

I have a cool video of me coming home that my wife took, coming across the road at the top of the hill and down the driveway to my house in a snow storm, but I dont know how to post videos
 
Back
Top