Am I crazy for buying another??

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Maybe I'm getting too sentimental, but at this stage of my life I want to be set on rides for the rest of my life.

The CB1100 is just so dang special, and reeks of quality, it makes me sad to see them on the dealer's floors still.

There are new CB1100 2014 standard available for under $8K. That is just nuts.

Thinking about adding a stable mate for my current one. Like the Navy Seals say "two is one and one is none". Haha

I might add, the riding season here in Big Sky country is too short to justify it. I'm gonna move where it's warm and I can ride 12 months out of the year. That's right, I'm moving to a location based on maximum ride time.
 
I understand what you are saying but its not my way of thinking. I'd buy something totally different and if I had the space I'd put a KTM690 in the garage, contrast and compliment.
 
Thread starter
I've sworn off single cylinder bikes. I weigh almost as much as it does. Plus, it looks like a piece of halloween candy, liquid cooled, where's the engine in that thing?

Good luck in your quest.
 
I traded my Bonnie for my CB and I am so happy with it. However, I wouldn't have two of the same. If I could justify two or more bikes I would have an 'eclectic' collection, a mix of styles and types. Probably to include a Triumph Scrambler and an MT09 variant :) And a heated garage to keep them all in !! ;)

I totally get your sentiment however.:idea:
 
DaSwami_imp said:
Maybe I'm getting too sentimental, but at this stage of my life I want to be set on rides for the rest of my life.

The CB1100 is just so dang special, and reeks of quality, it makes me sad to see them on the dealer's floors still.

There are new CB1100 2014 standard available for under $8K. That is just nuts.

Thinking about adding a stable mate for my current one. Like the Navy Seals say "two is one and one is none". Haha

I might add, the riding season here in Big Sky country is too short to justify it. I'm gonna move where it's warm and I can ride 12 months out of the year. That's right, I'm moving to a location based on maximum ride time.
I love Montana, love it, but I couldn't live there. One of my best friends does. Great to visit him and ride around, but couldn't do Montana 365. winters are too long and too brutal. Same goes for Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan. And I couldn't take AZ or southern Fla summers. The Carolinas, Ga or northern Fla might be nice..or maybe Northern Cali? Couldn't take the flatness of the plains so North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska would be out.

If I were single I'd consider moving to where I could ride more, but with gear I ride nearly 300 days as it is. Ohio weather is only really bad in Jan and Feb most years. I've ridden 56 days so far this year out of 85 possible and won't miss too many more between now and Dec 31st. Roads are pretty good around here. West Virginia is about 3 hrs away. Great roads there. Central Kentucky about 2 hours great roads there. True mountains BRP and the Smokys are about 6 hours away, an easy day ride. Spring is pretty, summer not too hot generally and fall gorgeous. Hmm just think I talked myself out of ever moving lol
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys.

Kinda of a "Noah's Ark" syndrome I'm suffering from....especially since we are still not sure if Honda will bring in the CB1100 for 2016? Regardless, it won't be a deal like the current in stock '14 models out there.
 
Paulb_imp said:
DaSwami_imp said:
My current stable: CB1100, Triumph Scrambler, Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone and a TW200
So get the KTM, I need to know if they are any good before I splash my cash.
I posted a shot of a couple of friends from a lunch ride the other day. One is Jim, 79 years old and a KLR rider for years. He does some writing for ADVMoto Magazine and so has access to lots of goodies. Here is a spread/review on the KTM690 he just bought from the magazine after they were done tricking it out for review.
http://adventuremotorcycle.com/issues/Issue-90/#46
It's one cool ride. Anyone need a well worn KLR? :excited:
 
DaSwami_imp said:
My current stable: CB1100, Triumph Scrambler, Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone and a TW200
Good grief, DaSwami! That's pretty much my dream line-up! But yes, buy another CB, prep it for long term storage, and then break it out in 15 years, all brand new and pristine.
 
As much as I enjoy motorcycles have never had the desire to own two identical bikes simultaneously. Keeping one to look at and ride the other?

I like your collection, some good variety and fun bikes. Maybe a cruiser - Indian Scout? - to round out the collection.

I like living where I can ride year round. Goldilocks weather and winding roads. Life is good.
 
When I was doing the deal for my CB1100 I couldn't help but notice how far dirt bikes have come since I bought my SL's back in the 70's.
And, a few weeks after I brought my CB1100 home I noticed I hadn't ridden my 40 year old CB750 once. I think it was just too similiar to the 11 and of course it doesn't have the great brakes, or fuel injection. I knew there was a pretty high demand for a nice old 750 like it, so I took it in for a trade and came out with a new CRF250L. As nice as the 1100 is, the 250 is just as nice in it's own way. Compared to my old SL's it floats over rough terrain and it has fuel injection and nice informative instruments. It is really fun to ride two such completely different bikes. Each wonderful in it's own way. Here is a picture of the CRF250L up in the mountains near my house.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/EMC9Rz]KIMG0517 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/127517865@N06/]Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
And parked next to the 1100
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FGQDug][url=https://flic.kr/p/FGQDug]KIMG0593 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/127517865@N06/]Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
And here is a link to the kind dealer's ad who took the 750 off my hands and let me ride off on the 250.
[url=http://www.cyclecountry.net/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1886021&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&year=1975&fr=xPreOwnedInventory]http://www.cyclecountry.net/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1886021&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&year=1975&fr=xPreOwnedInventory
 
Thread starter
I love the classic bikes, I really do, but I won't own one anymore. Parts and restoration is a rich mans' game, or barring that, very energy intensive. When I was young I never met a classic car/truck/bike I didn't like. I've been rehabbed. Now I just want to ride. I am great on maintenance, so my newer fleet should last until I'm done.
 
Steverino
Great choice for a second bike, have looked at them myself but don't have the spare cash, blew it all on the CB:rolleyes: . They look so cool and no doubt great fun to ride.

Cut my teeth in the 70's on trail bikes, DT's, TL's TS's etc. Loved them all.
 
Thread starter
Well, been bugging a dealer in the Seattle area for a few weeks and got a nice quote for $7900 OTD. Called them today to pull the trigger...everything was looking good until I got a phone call back a few minutes later that the special price had "expired" and the new price was $8500 OTD.

Look, I know the bike is WORTH IT but the principle of the matter bugs me, we had a deal, then we didn't.

So I'm gonna keep looking for now.
 
That's nonsense. You'll find another deal that's acceptable.

A few weeks ago I offered one of my bikes up for trade on a new bike. The dealer offered me $4000 trade-in. I then told him I was also interested in a second bike, so if we could agree on numbers, I'd buy the second bike now and then come back for the first bike later. He offered me $5000 trade-in on the second bike. I told him to give me $5000 trade-in on the first bike and we'd have a deal. He refused. I walked out. Nonsense.
 
Steverino_imp said:
When I was doing the deal for my CB1100 I couldn't help but notice how far dirt bikes have come since I bought my SL's back in the 70's.
And, a few weeks after I brought my CB1100 home I noticed I hadn't ridden my 40 year old CB750 once. I think it was just too similiar to the 11 and of course it doesn't have the great brakes, or fuel injection. I knew there was a pretty high demand for a nice old 750 like it, so I took it in for a trade and came out with a new CRF250L. As nice as the 1100 is, the 250 is just as nice in it's own way. Compared to my old SL's it floats over rough terrain and it has fuel injection and nice informative instruments. It is really fun to ride two such completely different bikes. Each wonderful in it's own way. Here is a picture of the CRF250L up in the mountains near my house.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/EMC9Rz]KIMG0517 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/127517865@N06/]Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
And parked next to the 1100
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FGQDug][url=https://flic.kr/p/FGQDug]KIMG0593 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/127517865@N06/]Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
And here is a link to the kind dealer's ad who took the 750 off my hands and let me ride off on the 250.
[url=http://www.cyclecountry.net/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1886021&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&year=1975&fr=xPreOwnedInventory]http://www.cyclecountry.net/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1886021&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&year=1975&fr=xPreOwnedInventory
What did you get for your CB750?

-Kirk Out
 
Back
Top