Alternatives to Stock 4 into 1 Header Pipes?

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My 2014 header pipes have developed a greyish/yellow patina which isn't that pretty.

I knew this was an issue when I got the bike, but I didn't think it would bother me. Now it seems to be getting worse.

I think the previous owner tried to polish the header pipes, which may have made a slight improvement at the time, but now it seems to have scuffed the pipes permanently.

I will probably need to replace the header pipes for a lasting solution.

Any suggestions? I couldn't find any threads dedicated to the his one particular problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.
 
Pipes can be cleaned, but Scotchbrite or some such is not the way to do it. Since you say they are scuffed up, have you considered ceramic coating them? A few members have done it and it is great. PB has some pics of his. I’ll have to search.

OK, here ya go: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16811&pid=294779&highlight=headers#pid294779 His post is 4 or five down. Also some mention is made on how to clean headers. I use Autosol.

Here is a thread with better pics of installed ceramic coated headers: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15825&highlight=headers
 
Popgun has it right, I used to do a very similar process to cleaning mine. However, What i did in the end was this:

https://www.samurider.com/?p=15371

Titanium baby. Never gets any ugly patina on it. just turns beautiful rainbow colors and looks better and better with use. Also weighs less than half as much as the stock headers. Also cat-free, for more ponies and better noise!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Pipes can be cleaned, but Scotchbrite or some such is not the way to do it. Since you say they are scuffed up, have you considered ceramic coating them? A few members have done it and it is great. PB has some pics of his. I’ll have to search.

OK, here ya go: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16811&pid=294779&highlight=headers#pid294779 His post is 4 or five down. Also some mention is made on how to clean headers. I use Autosol.

Here is a thread with better pics of installed ceramic coated headers: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15825&highlight=headers
The ceramic approach PB used actually looks okay. It won't be showroom chrome look, but you know? ... the pipes become very low maintenance. The cost of treatment is actually very favourable. I almost had the same treatment done of my stainless steel CB1100 headers.
 
Thread starter
What is the ballpark figure for having the header pipes coated by Jet Hot?

I love my CB1100, but it's disappointing that Honda didn't do this to correctly the first time around. The pipes on my 2009 Shadow look much better despite being 5 years older and having nearly twice the miles on them.
 
Yata-Garasu, I see you are in Dallas, but I do not know if there are any ceramic header coating businesses near you. I have used Specialized Performance Coatings in Arlington several times with stellar results. The ceramic chrome look they have is very similar to the pictures others have posted to this thread. Phone: ( 817 ) 274-1947, Address 1107 California Lane #209 Arlington 76015, website Specialized Performance Coating, Inc. | Arlington TX. The owner is Mike Tomlin, a good guy that does good work. He has been doing coatings at that location for at least 15 years that I know of, because I took him a Harley header pipe set back in 2007.

None of this ceramic coating thing is cheap, but it is not break the bank expensive either. My EX does not have the discoloration issue the stainless 4 into one header has, but if it did I would not hesitate to go the ceramic route, whether it is through the guy I have used, or and other reputable ceramic coater. Since this is purely a cosmetic issue, the alternative is to live with it as is, or periodically polish it out. A lot of the guys with stainless headers I know swear my Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, available at most auto parts stores and Amazon.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
What is the ballpark figure for having the header pipes coated by Jet Hot?

I love my CB1100, but it's disappointing that Honda didn't do this to correctly the first time around. The pipes on my 2009 Shadow look much better despite being 5 years older and having nearly twice the miles on them.
PB can lean in, but I hazard to recall he may have paid about $200 USD for his treatment.

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB can lean in, but I hazard to recall he may have paid about $200 USD for his treatment.
Yeah, C$235
 
I had a similar problem on my CB as they were stained from the previous owner and just did not look good. If they have a uniform gold color that is OK but when they have road dirt/grime/tar that is cooked on that will not do. Now this is what I do and there is a caveat and that is don't do this if you have any qualms about your abilities. I use Easy-Off oven cleaner with #0000 steel wool and Wizard's metal polish (polish infused cotton). Use aluminum foil to mask off any paint areas as it clings and can be form fitted. Start with one pipe and leave on for 30 minutes or more and then use the steel wool then recoat. Do this for all the pipes and put on as many coats as possible each time using the wool for cleaning. Then finish up with the Wizard's. Now here in SoCal many formerly caustic chemicals have been taken off the market so, if you are in another state make sure to double up on your precautions. Like I say, do at your own risk but, I have done it on several bikes with good results.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm hesitant to take any kind of caustic cleaner or abrasive substances to the pipes. My understanding is that is only a temporary fix, and may actually shorten the life of the pipes.

I've got some Nev R Dull wadding polish and 0000 steel wool. I might try those in a small spot to see what kind of results I get.

Having the pipes ceramic coated seems much less expensive than new pipes...
 
Since "STAIN-Magic" is made by Yoshimura, who makes exhaust systems, and I have used it on the CB1100 easily and successfully, there is no issue. Works great on stainless steel pipes.
 
Why don't you just wrap the headers? I think the ones that don't react to the heat are the deluxe ones, 'cause they have an inner pipe with a chrome cover. I've given up on mine and just accepted the worn look. I can't see them when I'm riding the bike, so....
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Since "STAIN-Magic" is made by Yoshimura, who makes exhaust systems, and I have used it on the CB1100 easily and successfully, there is no issue. Works great on stainless steel pipes.
+1 on the Stain-Magic. It really is magic. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
I was told that Nev R Dull does a good job if the pipes aren't pitted.

I also bought some dedicated stainless steel polish at the bike shop too. It was $10 for 8oz.

Depending on how much elbow grease I need for the stainless steel polish, I may revisit the issue with Stain Magic.

$40 for a tube is precious.

I'll post some before and after pics once I get started.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I was told that Nev R Dull does a good job if the pipes aren't pitted.

I also bought some dedicated stainless steel polish at the bike shop too. It was $10 for 8oz.

Depending on how much elbow grease I need for the stainless steel polish, I may revisit the issue with Stain Magic.

$40 for a tube is precious.

I'll post some before and after pics once I get started.
The thing with STAIN-Magic is - it works, and it lasts. Follow-up with your favourite single application of heat-indifferent polish on and the ordeal should last until the following year. At least in my case it does. STAIN-Magic takes a bit of time to take hold - maybe 10 to 15 minutes. Once it gets going, suddenly you realize the pipes are silver/chrome-lookin' again. Fire up the engine and the pipes turn to that slight mellow and uniform gold. Above all? Very little STAIN-Magic is required.

Shake well before use.
 
Back
Top