All stock vs modified

jodytek_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Recently got my 2014 STD, and it is great. I have been reading many post for ideas of modifications, both for ascetic performance enhancement. There are a lot of really cool options. But I have to wonder. Since the total amount of these bikes out there are relatively low in numbers. I am thinking that keeping the bike 100% stock will be in the best interest long term.

I have looked at all the restored cb's from the 70's that are out there for sale. Many of them have been painstakingly pieced back together, and command a pretty penny to play.

While I am loving my new ride, and plan to put some serious miles on it, I just can't help to think how many of these will be survivors in another 40 to 50 years. How many of them will be all original.

Personally, I hope to have great, great grandchild find this bike sitting in my barn, clean, covered and ready to go.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You can either leave them stock, or do the modifications you enjoy but save the old parts to return it to stock. If you want it to return to stock don't ever take a sawzall to it anywhere, and don't ever cut the wiring.

I've done about a dozen things to my bike to suit me (RLETs, different hand grips, luggage rack, 83 degree valve stems, battery tender plug, removed tank decals, Chip Beck lic plate mod, Michelin tires, small windshield and hand covers, chrome inst cups, painted headlight bucket, fork gaiters) and saved all the stock stuff in a box in the garage ...except for the tank decals which can be purchased thru Honda. Would take a couple of hours to put mine back to factory stock. In the meantime I will enjoy it with the mods I have made, which suit me.

as a collectible it will take many many years (30 or so) before that comes into play, and if you are going to put some serious miles on it (not sure what that means to you?) that will lower it's value as a collectible piece. Anything over 50,000 miles lowers the value substantially IMO.
 
I wouldn't worry too much about mods. Like ferret said as long as you're not cutting things off and whatnot everything can be returned back easily as long as you have the stock parts. Ive done several things as well but nothing permanent.
 
Depending on your riding style you will probably add some accessories over time. They are all removable, and would be appreciated by a future buyers. That is quite evident when you watch the For Sale part of this Forum.

I added slip-on foam handle grip covers (Grip Puppies) because the Honda grips are hard and small in diameter. My throttle hand would cramp up in less than an hour.

I removed my mirror extenders before trading-in my CB500XA. Because I am tall, the mirror extenders allow me to see something other than my elbows.

Kept my Nelson-Rigg tank and tail bags for my CB1100 EX. The tank bag has a clear holder for my route maps on my day rides. It also holds a wet microfiber towel in a Ziploc bag to clean the bugs off my helmet. When I stop for breakfast, lunch, or coffee and a donut; it will expand to hold my helmet and gloves. Out of site, out of mind. It has magnetic straps to hold it to the tank. These allow me to flip the bag back when refueling.

The tail bag is handy for storing extra clothing, such as a rain suit and dry pair of gloves. I will probably buy a rear rack to take the tail bag off the seat.

Engine guards are a good idea as well. Nobody ever expects to drop their bike, but it happens. Usually at a stop or slow awkward turn in a parking lot.
 
By the time this bike might become truly collectible in the traditional sense I'd imagine the only new bike options available would be electric bikes. (Look for the iCycle coming soon, lol.). I've kept my CB mostly stock because I like it that way, but I'd say do what ever helps you enjoy it the most (and keep the stock parts just in case).
 
It's possible these bikes will appreciate over time assuming the youngsters of today will aspire to own one in 30-40 years, but I doubt it, especially since the bikes aren't used on the racing circuit. Growing up in the 60's, folks wanted 30's hot rods and 40's Woody's. No longer. Now they want 60's and '70's muscle cars. Those old hot rods and Woodys are on the scrap heap of history.

From an investment standpoint, I wouldn't expect the CB to ever become desirable enough to collectors that it would appreciate more than inflation, if that. Likely, it will continue to depreciate and then settle at a value that's similar to other common bikes of the period.

Accessorize it as you wish, enjoy it for many thousands of miles, and view it as an enabler to happiness and adventure, not as a retirement plan. And yes, keep those OE parts just in case!
 
jodytek_imp said:
Recently got my 2014 STD, and it is great. I have been reading many post for ideas of modifications, both for ascetic performance enhancement. There are a lot of really cool options. But I have to wonder. Since the total amount of these bikes out there are relatively low in numbers. I am thinking that keeping the bike 100% stock will be in the best interest long term.

I have looked at all the restored cb's from the 70's that are out there for sale. Many of them have been painstakingly pieced back together, and command a pretty penny to play.

While I am loving my new ride, and plan to put some serious miles on it, I just can't help to think how many of these will be survivors in another 40 to 50 years. How many of them will be all original.

Personally, I hope to have great, great grandchild find this bike sitting in my barn, clean, covered and ready to go.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is nothing to wonder about, you ~are~ the man.
The only two things I put on mine was the Honda rear carrier and engine guards, both a snap to remove. Defacing this machine, so easy on eyes, with all kinds of aftermarlet trinkets... (I better stop right here :)
 
I only see the last large air cooled 4 as being the desirable part ...
biggest mistake i see is chopping bikes up to make " cafe racers " that no one wants to buy .
just enjoy the bike as they are not really investments
 
By the time my bike is a collectable I’ll be dead. And thats the truth.
 
jodytek_imp said:
Recently got my 2014 STD, and it is great. I have been reading many post for ideas of modifications, both for ascetic performance enhancement. There are a lot of really cool options. But I have to wonder. Since the total amount of these bikes out there are relatively low in numbers. I am thinking that keeping the bike 100% stock will be in the best interest long term.

I have looked at all the restored cb's from the 70's that are out there for sale. Many of them have been painstakingly pieced back together, and command a pretty penny to play.

While I am loving my new ride, and plan to put some serious miles on it, I just can't help to think how many of these will be survivors in another 40 to 50 years. How many of them will be all original.

Personally, I hope to have great, great grandchild find this bike sitting in my barn, clean, covered and ready to go.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jodytek,

I’m new here, as well. Same thought process as yours... if it’s all original, and maintained and garaged for the long haul (no pun intended), it will be of greatest value. But I suspect certain changes could be made, as long as plan to keep the original parts. Just an opinion, of course.

Have fun, and be safe out there!

Ohana71


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The stock exhaust is heavy, BIG, too quiet and reduces HP. Swap it out and keep it in your garage. Bike will run much better on a Staintune, Yosh or arrow.
 
I think Guth had it correct in post #6. Electric bikes will likely be the bike of the day. Petroleum products might be on their way out for transportation use (not being political here/Alaska and the Dakota are busting at the seams with oil here in the states). Who knows, you may have to rig it with a sail or live on a hill to ride it by then. The general theme here is to enjoy the bike, save the OEM parts you carefully remove to replace with the aftermarket calling and pass something down a little easier to use and maintain... like a gun, homemade furniture or beef jerky (he, he, he).
 
I have a 2014 standard as well. I love it. The only thing I've added to mine is a road comet 2 fairing. I love the look of those small, squarish fairings on CB bikes. It reminds me even more of my first street bike, a 1985 CB650 Nighthawk with a very similar fairing made by Rifle. I will be getting a rear rack, engine guards and heated grips, all from Honda. I have found that usually the manufacturers accessories fit and work better than aftermarket. I will leave the engine and drive train stock for reliability reasons.

The only one who can decide what is in the long term best interest is you. Personally, I don't see owning one of these bikes as a big investment opportunity. I bought mine because it is the type and brand of bike that first introduced me to street riding. It makes me nostalgic. The fact that it is a very well engineered and built motorcycle is also important. I don't want to screw that up by trying to get a bunch of extra horsepower out of it. It doesn't need it anyway. The point is, the bike is for me an investment in my happiness, not a financial investment. If you think your CB is something special, and it sounds like you do, just take good care of it so it is worth being passed on to someone some day.
 
It’s like buying a house, everybody might not like your choice of decor. So keep it plain and original if selling. In my opinion who in 10/20 years will want to buy a gas guzzling dirty petrol bike. When there is cheap to run clean, faster, electric bikes as the norm. That’s progress.
 
If you are going to enjoy the ride for a while, then move on, I offer that maintaining the ability to return it to 'stock' is the best ploy.

This past summer I sold my '74 Honda XL-350 Endure "survivor". I had it for about 6 years and used it as a 'pit bike' as I worked as a volunteer at the track. It was a great way to get around the inside of the three mile 10 turn Brainerd International Raceway.

The bike was not perfect, but complete and original. It ran well and had no rust. A few scratches and dings to show it had actually been used. I was able to get a premium price for it.
I am on my third Honda Restoration. It is an '81 CB650C Shed Find I picked up a couple of years back. Carbs, tires, and fluids and I have ridden it for those couple of years, and now I am doing some of the finishing touches. It remains to be seen how I will fare at selling time.
Jim
PS: I would post a picture, but my browser locks up when I try.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
The stock exhaust is heavy, BIG, too quiet and reduces HP. Swap it out and keep it in your garage. Bike will run much better on a Staintune, Yosh or arrow.
Still lighter than the dual muffler models!:D

Staintune is a quality company, but $800+ to save 4.4 pounds and possibly gain 6-7 HP is close to 10% of the cost of the bike new.

Not that 7-8% claimed HP gain may not be noticeable, but I have not yet found a dyno chart to compare factory with Staintune.

Had a pleasant 280 mile ride today and found a great pie shop past Gunlock, in Veyo, Utah. Might have personally saved a pound or so if I skipped the blueberry pie, after the brisket sandwich!

Only got 48 MPG (per trip computer) running 80 MPH for ~165 miles on interstate 15, but used much less fuel than my friend's Vrod.

I am extremely happy with this bike.

Stock, other than:
1. LED tail/brake light
2. Snorkel minor mod
3. Dart Marlin flyscreen

Might add a Formotion thermometer, maybe research a gauge for head or oil temperature, with consideration for rides over 115 F.

+1 on Slowpoke's comments
 
Thread starter
holy666diver_imp said:
The stock exhaust is heavy, BIG, too quiet and reduces HP. Swap it out and keep it in your garage. Bike will run much better on a Staintune, Yosh or arrow.

Thanks, this is one area that I have considered. I do like the look and sound of some after market exhausts that I have seen. Personally partial to the flat black look.

But certainly could keep the original put away. The factory exhausts sound reminds me of the way the spacecraft on the Jetsons cartoon sounded.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Actually with the Staintune what you are mostly gaining is a louder and to some, more pleasing exhaust note. In 2013 guys were weighing and dynoing their bikes and iirc the weight loss was like you said in the neigborhood of 4 pounds and the dynod performance gain was more in the neightborhood of 4 hp. Certainly not 7 or 8 hp that Staintune claimed, and that gain is in the very upper rpm range of the engine. Still that is some weight savings and some hp gain so it's a positive, particularly if you like the sound.
 
Back
Top