Air Filter Change Interval?

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
The Honda Service Manual states to inspect and clean the air filter ever 12,000 miles. Since the air filter is rather expensive, I don't want to replace it prematurely. Can I please get some replies stating the number of miles forum members are riding before replacing their air filter?

Thank you.
 
The surface area of this filter is huge, I plan to have mine for a long time, I don't expect to change it until 40-60 thousand km or more. Based on how much I use the CB that might be ten years away! I recently changed the filter on my Triumph Tiger which has a smaller surface area at 31 thousand km and it could of gone another 10-20 thousand km without fear of any negative impact. I am sure many might disagree and change it more often but I do think it is a waste. The air filter service interval on my 1995 Triumph Daytona is 40 thousand km and the CB would easily be able to match and surpass that. A dusty environment might dictate more attention but how many people ride in a permanently dusty environment?
 
Unlike oil filters, an airfilter can easily be checked visually, and kept until it gets dirty. cleaning is often easy too. But you won’t save much, as they’re not expensive.
 
I replace my plugs and air filter every 25,000 miles, even though it is still running good at that point. It's just an easy number for me to remember, 25K, 50K and the next one coming up 75K
 
We all have our reasons to replace filters and it is good to hear some useful numbers and results.
Sometimes i cannot help myself and look for ways to quantify or measure the size of the problem, I'm curious.

So i looked at some pictures and one showed the drain tube at the bottom of the air filter, this is a clear tube which ends in a black plastic removable plug at the end and is easy to access, since it is in the space of the airbox which is after the filter i thought i could measure the small difference in air pressure when the engine is running.
The result is this small video which shows the change in pressure ( the differential ) across the air filter which has had 57.000 easy kilometers of use.

Could be someone can repeat this test and tell their values, mine only recorded 4 mm. of rise in one end of the tube, the other of course went down by the same amount, hope this sheds some light on the capacity of the air filter;


Also wondered if the breather pipe of the positive crank case made a difference, removed the oil filler cap to check and found zero difference in the measurement, i guess my blow-by is not significant enough at this stage.
With my riding style I'm with Tev, it's a big area, so see for yourself.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I replace my plugs and air filter every 25,000 miles, even though it is still running good at that point. It's just an easy number for me to remember, 25K, 50K and the next one coming up 75K
By my math that’s about 3 weeks. :D
 
Thread starter
j3gq_imp said:
Unlike oil filters, an airfilter can easily be checked visually, and kept until it gets dirty. cleaning is often easy too. But you won’t save much, as they’re not expensive.
Actually, they are expensive, more than any air filter I have ever purchased in my life, including motorcycles and cars. I just checked an on-line price, and it is $49.68 plus tax, plus shipping.
 
I thought they were expensive at around AU$100 a pop!

Mine has been changed at 48,850 kms and 99,891 kms.
 
Dave_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Unlike oil filters, an airfilter can easily be checked visually, and kept until it gets dirty. cleaning is often easy too. But you won’t save much, as they’re not expensive.
Actually, they are expensive, more than any air filter I have ever purchased in my life, including motorcycles and cars. I just checked an on-line price, and it is $49.68 plus tax, plus shipping.
Not bad. The Honda Africa Twin air filter is about the same price, but two need to be purchased. :-/
 
Whoops_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I replace my plugs and air filter every 25,000 miles, even though it is still running good at that point. It's just an easy number for me to remember, 25K, 50K and the next one coming up 75K
By my math that’s about 3 weeks. :D
By my math that’s about 3 weeks. :D
:rofl: might take me a little longer than that
 
Dave_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Unlike oil filters, an airfilter can easily be checked visually, and kept until it gets dirty. cleaning is often easy too. But you won’t save much, as they’re not expensive.
Actually, they are expensive, more than any air filter I have ever purchased in my life, including motorcycles and cars. I just checked an on-line price, and it is $49.68 plus tax, plus shipping.
Over many many thousands of miles- what's that? A cheap dinner for you and your wife?
max_imp said:
We all have our reasons to replace filters and it is good to hear some useful numbers and results.
Sometimes i cannot help myself and look for ways to quantify or measure the size of the problem, I'm curious.

So i looked at some pictures and one showed the drain tube at the bottom of the air filter, this is a clear tube which ends in a black plastic removable plug at the end and is easy to access, since it is in the space of the airbox which is after the filter i thought i could measure the small difference in air pressure when the engine is running.
The result is this small video which shows the change in pressure ( the differential ) across the air filter which has had 57.000 easy kilometers of use.

Could be someone can repeat this test and tell their values, mine only recorded 4 mm. of rise in one end of the tube, the other of course went down by the same amount, hope this sheds some light on the capacity of the air filter;


Also wondered if the breather pipe of the positive crank case made a difference, removed the oil filler cap to check and found zero difference in the measurement, i guess my blow-by is not significant enough at this stage.
With my riding style I'm with Tev, it's a big area, so see for yourself.


Max - the video is appreciated- and honestly I am very surprised it went at all to be honest. Imagine it at 8500!!

Can you do me (all of us) a favor?

Try again with filter removed- then with filter in and snorkal off.

Thanks!!!
 
Was curious too Josh, here are the 3 scenario's;
1 standard, 2 filter removed with snorkel in place, 3 air filter in and snorkel removed as in the picture with the masking tape.

Hope that helps and i appreciate things happen differently under load, but that requires elaborate camera work or a dyno.
 
At 17k miles…first change:
c2b66d28bd58a98481940b478364e8bb.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thank you mtneers. Your filter doesn't look that bad! I will check my filter this weekend and replace it if it appears dirty.

Has anyone used compressed air to clean their air filter? I do this all the time on my shop vacuum and it works well.
 
Dave_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Unlike oil filters, an airfilter can easily be checked visually, and kept until it gets dirty. cleaning is often easy too. But you won’t save much, as they’re not expensive.
Actually, they are expensive, more than any air filter I have ever purchased in my life, including motorcycles and cars. I just checked an on-line price, and it is $49.68 plus tax, plus shipping.
Actually, they are expensive, more than any air filter I have ever purchased in my life, including motorcycles and cars. I just checked an on-line price, and it is $49.68 plus tax, plus shipping.
Ouch, I had no idea. Guess my guess came from car parts purchased, 2 filters for my old truck at 14.99, is Honda mad ? or is THAT filter so much more sophisticated ?
 
I agree that the CB1100 air filter is the most expensive filter I've ever had to buy, and for those 85$ I'd expect it to at least work well if not to last for a very long time, but then as we live in a very dusty and humid region I think it should still be changed every second oil change just like I do it on cars.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Back
Top