Air compressor question

562loosenoodle_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I need advice on which type of air compressor to buy. The two I have don’t have the power to fill my tires. I hate using gas stations for this. What should I look for in an air compressor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
This one works for me!
1cfbb998ec68e8580823251aa48df8c4.png
Seriously though, any of the electric "pancake" compressors, that puts out 90psi, should work. The cfm, cubic feet per minute, rating will determine how long it will take to fill a tire.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
562loosenoodle_imp said:
I need advice on which type of air compressor to buy. The two I have don’t have the power to fill my tires. I hate using gas stations for this. What should I look for in an air compressor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retsel_imp said:
This one works for me!
1cfbb998ec68e8580823251aa48df8c4.png
Seriously though, any of the electric "pancake" compressors, that puts out 90psi, should work. The cfm, cubic feet per minute, rating will determine how long it will take to fill a tire.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
this compressor will do more then 4 tires at once
 
I believe mine is an 8 gallon from Harbor Freight about $120 10 years ago or more. Does bikes, cars, my truck, trailer. Very happy with it.
 
If all you want is to fill tires and blow stuff clean, a pancake one like Retsel says is fine. They don't take up much space so you can stuff them anywhere, even carry them in your car easily. And you can carry them out to the street to fill your car tire.

The tradeoff is that the small 3-gallon tank means that it has to cycle on/off more often, inconvenient if you are doing a lot of painting, use air tools constantly, or have an air lift.

Less than $50 with coupon:
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...si-oil-free-pancake-air-compressor-60637.html
 
Honestly to keep my tires up to pressure I have always used and hand crank bicycle pump. Beats the heck out of dragging out the compressor.

Now, of course, filling them from empty the HF cheapo works just fine.
 
yea 3 gal isn't much. Notice the add doesn't say inflating tires. It's says stapling and brading. Get 8 or 10 gals. Not real big but will still do the trick.
 
That thing will do 100 psi. It should air up tires just fine. Heck I used to use one like that. Even now I use a 3 gal portable bottle to air tires with so I don’t have to stretch out hoses. I usually fill it with a small DeWalt compresser.

Now, if you are going to be using it to run a die grinder or any tool that needs a lot of air flow, you need a compressor that can supply that flow. Look for a CFM rating. Heck some of us even have very small 12v compressors make for carrying on your bike. They will fill up a tire, just not very fast. ( Size does matter sometimes:)

The one you have listed is not a high volume compressor. It says 1 CFM at 40psi and .6cfm at 90. So it will do the job, just not necessarily fast.

Also, when you set the regulator on that thing, turn it all the way up. Don’t set it on, say, 40 psi, and air your tire. It will flow better if you don’t choke it down. That may help you.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
If all you want is to fill tires and blow stuff clean, a pancake one like Retsel says is fine. They don't take up much space so you can stuff them anywhere, even carry them in your car easily. And you can carry them out to the street to fill your car tire.

The tradeoff is that the small 3-gallon tank means that it has to cycle on/off more often, inconvenient if you are doing a lot of painting, use air tools constantly, or have an air lift.

Less than $50 with coupon:
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...si-oil-free-pancake-air-compressor-60637.html
I have this same model. I use it for my 23 guage pin nailer at work, and light duty work around the house. It works great. Do not follow the break in procedure suggested in the manual. My first one died shortly after running it wide open for 30 minutes as per the manual. Swapped it out, and used the new one normally without issue.
 
DBM, the specs on yours are the same as the one he has. If he wants a little more, when I clicked on the harborfreight link for the one you have, they show a 2hp 8 gal compressor for $119. That would air a tire ok :)
 
I have a small Dewalt pancake compressor that works well for everything I need it to do including running a die grinder and impact. I like it since it is easy to store and you can carry it and not have to drag out long air hoses.
 
I have a "pancake" compressor for my nail gun, truck and car tires but I use an old fashion bicycle style pump for the motorcycles. I can bring a low bike tire up to pressure with the hand pump in less time than it takes to drag out the other.
 
Back
Top