Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
LMAO what the hell are those shoe hornsCIP57_imp said:LMAO what the hell are those shoe hornsThe Spaceman_imp said:6 top0002 | Samurider.com
This the fancy-schmancy part cip57 replaced. He's created his own high-flow air intake system using only the materials available to the crew on board Apollo 13.

Air box mods are very popular with the Bonneville crowd. Often referred to desnorkling the air box, this mod, combined with a less restrictive exhaust supposedly lets the engine breathe easier and produce more power.Greg_imp said:Ha, DAC.
I got spanked for my part in this kerfuffle but it occurred to me that even though this is an old thread, new members are coming in and reading what is old stuff for us.
I did the controlled testing after this dust-up and think my results are repeatable. After all we're talking real time and dollars and people should be informed.
If the mods are being done for aesthetic reasons or simply because it's there, then that's fine, but facts is facts.
(Don't taze me dude!)

I could definitely see that happening. The stock ECU is set up for the stock airbox and exhaust. Altering those componets without an ECU reflash, tuned Power Commander etc. can mess things up.Ridem32_imp said:All I can say is this ! I got a friend with a gsxr1000 he put a new exhaust on it sounded great! But his drag strip times dropped. Put his stock pipe back on and his drag strip times went back up! Dyno don't lie. Lots of guys buy pipes, K&N filters thinking more power more speed when most bikes lose performance FACT
... um ... we're waiting ... hahaCIP57_imp said:Let me add to this:
I ran the following 0-100 times
Stock 9.1
Flashed 9.0
Yoshi Open Airbox 8.3
Yoshi Closed airbox 8.0
As i mentioned, these runs where all in the same place. The two Yoshi runs where on the same day and conditions.
Edit: I have documented these gains with video's.
... um ... we're waiting ... haha Sorry, computer crash lolGreg_imp said:... um ... we're waiting ... hahaCIP57_imp said:Let me add to this:
I ran the following 0-100 times
Stock 9.1
Flashed 9.0
Yoshi Open Airbox 8.3
Yoshi Closed airbox 8.0
As i mentioned, these runs where all in the same place. The two Yoshi runs where on the same day and conditions.
Edit: I have documented these gains with video's.
Yes, it would be good to have some confirmation of these results which were done without a piggyback fuel controller.CB4ME_imp said:Air box mods are very popular with the Bonneville crowd. Often referred to desnorkling the air box, this mod, combined with a less restrictive exhaust supposedly lets the engine breathe easier and produce more power.Greg_imp said:Ha, DAC.
I got spanked for my part in this kerfuffle but it occurred to me that even though this is an old thread, new members are coming in and reading what is old stuff for us.
I did the controlled testing after this dust-up and think my results are repeatable. After all we're talking real time and dollars and people should be informed.
If the mods are being done for aesthetic reasons or simply because it's there, then that's fine, but facts is facts.
(Don't taze me dude!)
Greg did dyno testing of various intake and exhaust configurations. I find the results interesting and worthy of follow-up. But the results seem to contradict the claims of aftermarket manufacturers and the experience of other riders.
I haven't done any dyno testing and can only go by seat-of-the-pants "testing". My first mod was a Staintune. I did not notice any increase in power. When I opened the intake with a TSR air funnel, the bike seemed a lot more lively.
Several other members have done intake and exhaust mods and seen significant HP gains, verified by dyno testing.
Greg, I’m not disputing your results, but I remain unconvinced that opened up air boxes and CAT free exhausts will only affect A/F ratios while HP numbers remain unchanged.
Now I've done it![]()
That is so true. I used to operate the dyno at my friend's bike shop on the weekends (back in the 80s). There were a lot of folks that were certain they'd bumped up the hp by just slapping a pipe on their UJM and making no other changes . While their bikes were certainly much louder, invariably the dyno showed they had less power than before. Even after the proper tuning of intake and exhaust mods were done, the extra power usually showed up at rpms that the rider rarely saw on the street.Rboe_imp said:If the bike sounds louder or different the rider will tend to think there is a performance gain. Some of this is probably an unconscious desire to justify the work done or money spent, on the mod. Just human nature so something to be mindful of (and dyno does not care one way or the other)
No way to really tell until you dyno it. Nothing like cold hard facts.