Air box mod done

Spiderwatts_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Using earlier info from another forum member I performed the inexpensive airbox mod. Used 3M strong tape. Cut one length in half and made two rounds around stock filter. It’s airtight. Removing big restrictive snorkel and having Yoshimura slip on should all be within ECU parameters and help it breathe better, along with nice sound and a hair more HP/TQ.

Next up are the CNC black footpegs and brackets to go along with KH high seat for more comfort.

Here’s a couple of pics of “modified airbox” and the tape I used. ($7.98 at Lowe’s)
 
The Scotch Outdoor Mounting Tape is great stuff. I used it to mount a front fender extender on my CB500X. I rode over 33,000 kilometers over 3 summers and it never failed.
 
Gotta ask, does it do any good?
Not trying to start an oil thread, an honest question from a fellow rider considering an inexpensive mod.
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Gotta ask, does it do any good?
Not trying to start an oil thread, an honest question from a fellow rider considering an inexpensive mod.
Well, Spiderwatts did write: "helps it breathe better, along with nice sound and a hair more HP/TQ". It's hard to dispute the "nice sound", however...

The problem is that "hair more HP/TQ" is very hard to quantify and may partly be placebo effect (especially with the increased "vroom-vroom" sound). Generally, when removing the air box (snorkel) on any bike there may be an increase in power, but usually only at wide-open-throttle. For normal driving, there can actually be a reduction in low end torque and a lack of smoothness (less linear throttle response) at low speeds. I have experienced this on a few bikes after installing Big Air Kits and/or removing the air box...

Engineers did not just create that air box to comply with EPA noise regulations. It also assures that the incoming air flow is metered/controlled to provide a balance of good low end torque and throttle smoothness.
 
camoto_imp said:
Not sure if you guys know this but there's a Chinese knock-off of the funnel on ebay for 87 dollars shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB11...RK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have it and it's a perfect fit, seals up nicely and the anodizing on it is very well done.
Could that be made from the stock snorkel, using a bandsaw to separate the seal portion of the snorkel?

No idea if there is any improvement on the CB1100 (negative comments on this forum), but snorkel removal on my 2012 Triumph Bonneville made an appreciable difference...even mid-range.
 
The two snorkel intakes total about 4.61 square inches.

The “velocity stack” area of the snorkel is about 4.90 square inches.

So, the snorkel restriction on the CB1100 is minor (~6%).

However, more out of curiosity, I used a hacksaw to remove the “cap”, abut 3/8” thick, from the top of the snorkel, directly above the “velocity stack”, then remounted the snorkel.

If I can get to the nearby mountains before the predicted 45 MPH wind gusts are forecast, tomorrow, I will advise if there is any appreciable difference.

The “cap” can be glued back on or the area covered with duct tape.

The only significant concern, on my part, is if I am caught in heavy rain…which seems to be a main purpose of the snorkel. Intake silencing may be secondary.

My 1967 CB160 would die in heavy rain, with an exposed factory air filter element directly under the side cover.

The CB160 was a daily ride, rain, snow or ice, from Feb-Apr 1967…then Uncle Sam sent me on an all-expenses paid vacation to Southeast Asia. But, at age 70, I have become much more of a fair-weather rider!

I am not set-up to post photos, but if an interested member would like to PM their email, I will send photos.
 
I've been wondering about this as well. I have an open pipe (8" Delkevic) and with more flow out, more flow in makes sense. Granted my Bonnie is carb'd, but very big gains with open pipes and removed airbox/pod filters. Very interested in results here. Also, as know less than zero about FI, if the ECU can adapt to these changes without some sort of remap/flash.

Thank you for your service Doc.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The two snorkel intakes total about 4.61 square inches.

The “velocity stack” area of the snorkel is about 4.90 square inches.

So, the snorkel restriction on the CB1100 is minor (~6%).

However, more out of curiosity, I used a hacksaw to remove the “cap”, abut 3/8” thick, from the top of the snorkel, directly above the “velocity stack”, then remounted the snorkel.

If I can get to the nearby mountains before the predicted 45 MPH wind gusts are forecast, tomorrow, I will advise if there is any appreciable difference.

The “cap” can be glued back on or the area covered with duct tape.

The only significant concern, on my part, is if I am caught in heavy rain…which seems to be a main purpose of the snorkel. Intake silencing may be secondary.

My 1967 CB160 would die in heavy rain, with an exposed factory air filter element directly under the side cover.

The CB160 was a daily ride, rain, snow or ice, from Feb-Apr 1967…then Uncle Sam sent me on an all-expenses paid vacation to Southeast Asia. But, at age 70, I have become much more of a fair-weather rider!

I am not set-up to post photos, but if an interested member would like to PM their email, I will send photos.
Is this what you meant. I have cut the snorkel into 2 pcs and it does sound a bit difference.



And this is the one i'm going to buy to replace the stock snorkel
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Gotta ask, does it do any good?
Not trying to start an oil thread, an honest question from a fellow rider considering an inexpensive mod.
They claim extra horsepower on the ad. E-mail them and ask them to prove this, like how much and where in the rev range? Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer!
 
i ripped the wire mesh that goes around the stock filter off. Seems that is quite intrusive for airflow.
My head thinks it made a difference and it revs up/down faster but I'm not sure. Was free though
 
I will chime in on this one. Since I have done all of this and added the TSR Intake Funnels at the Throttle Bodies. All of it plus the refresh of the CPU gave me noticeable power increase and better ride. With just the pipe nothing really noticeable.

I have posted this before but will post again for the new guys.

From this experience I gained doing these modifications I determined the largest restriction was at the Throttle Bodies. You can see the difference if you follow the link. I am computer stupid and do not know how to reduce the pictures to post here. The silver intakes are the TSR parts and the black ones the original.

I have finally found a place that will put the bike on a dyno and hope to do this next summer.

Private Group Photo & Video Sharing
 
Sparky80_imp said:
i ripped the wire mesh that goes around the stock filter off. Seems that is quite intrusive for airflow.
My head thinks it made a difference and it revs up/down faster but I'm not sure. Was free though

It is not. The stock filter flows waaay more cfm than our engine needs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I will chime in on this one. Since I have done all of this and added the TSR Intake Funnels at the Throttle Bodies. All of it plus the refresh of the CPU gave me noticeable power increase and better ride. With just the pipe nothing really noticeable.

I have posted this before but will post again for the new guys.

From this experience I gained doing these modifications I determined the largest restriction was at the Throttle Bodies. You can see the difference if you follow the link. I am computer stupid and do not know how to reduce the pictures to post here. The silver intakes are the TSR parts and the black ones the original.

I have finally found a place that will put the bike on a dyno and hope to do this next summer.

Private Group Photo & Video Sharing

The velocity stacks are indeed a large restriction- the TSR are currently the largest / least restrictive so in theory should make the most power.

They are pricey. And might not be made anymore?

The stock velocity stacks can be bored out with good results - just time and grinding materials. They flow at least enough air- bored out- that I made 103whp + 75wtq. Not sure how the TSR would have changed that.

I am now awaiting a custom set of dual height velocity stacks that should do better than both. I will dyno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hey PowerDubs... I figured you would chime in. LOL!

Yes the TSR Funnels for the Throttle Bodies are not in production. At least they were not when I bought mine and I had to search hard to ge them. For me the price was right as they were a proven set-up. Plus it was a lot easier than making/refitting the originals. They look great and fit amazingly well.

Next year I will get it o the dyno at some point. It will be interesting what it is running and see if it can be improved on as far as programing.

Hang in there and post up the new funnels when you get them.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sparky80_imp said:
i ripped the wire mesh that goes around the stock filter off. Seems that is quite intrusive for airflow.
My head thinks it made a difference and it revs up/down faster but I'm not sure. Was free though

It is not. The stock filter flows waaay more cfm than our engine needs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I will chime in on this one. Since I have done all of this and added the TSR Intake Funnels at the Throttle Bodies. All of it plus the refresh of the CPU gave me noticeable power increase and better ride. With just the pipe nothing really noticeable.

I have posted this before but will post again for the new guys.

From this experience I gained doing these modifications I determined the largest restriction was at the Throttle Bodies. You can see the difference if you follow the link. I am computer stupid and do not know how to reduce the pictures to post here. The silver intakes are the TSR parts and the black ones the original.

I have finally found a place that will put the bike on a dyno and hope to do this next summer.

Private Group Photo & Video Sharing

The velocity stacks are indeed a large restriction- the TSR are currently the largest / least restrictive so in theory should make the most power.

They are pricey. And might not be made anymore?

The stock velocity stacks can be bored out with good results - just time and grinding materials. They flow at least enough air- bored out- that I made 103whp + 75wtq. Not sure how the TSR would have changed that.

I am now awaiting a custom set of dual height velocity stacks that should do better than both. I will dyno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12618&highlight=CFM

CFM calculations on page 2 of this thread.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sparky80_imp said:
i ripped the wire mesh that goes around the stock filter off. Seems that is quite intrusive for airflow.
My head thinks it made a difference and it revs up/down faster but I'm not sure. Was free though

It is not. The stock filter flows waaay more cfm than our engine needs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I will chime in on this one. Since I have done all of this and added the TSR Intake Funnels at the Throttle Bodies. All of it plus the refresh of the CPU gave me noticeable power increase and better ride. With just the pipe nothing really noticeable.

I have posted this before but will post again for the new guys.

From this experience I gained doing these modifications I determined the largest restriction was at the Throttle Bodies. You can see the difference if you follow the link. I am computer stupid and do not know how to reduce the pictures to post here. The silver intakes are the TSR parts and the black ones the original.

I have finally found a place that will put the bike on a dyno and hope to do this next summer.

Private Group Photo & Video Sharing

The velocity stacks are indeed a large restriction- the TSR are currently the largest / least restrictive so in theory should make the most power.

They are pricey. And might not be made anymore?

The stock velocity stacks can be bored out with good results - just time and grinding materials. They flow at least enough air- bored out- that I made 103whp + 75wtq. Not sure how the TSR would have changed that.

I am now awaiting a custom set of dual height velocity stacks that should do better than both. I will dyno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12618&highlight=CFM

CFM calculations on page 2 of this thread.
Yep

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12618&highlight=CFM

CFM calculations on page 2 of this thread.
I just got an email from the guy who makes the tsr funnels for the throttle bodies. He quoted me 560.00 usd for a set.
teamvisegrip_imp said:
Hey PowerDubs... I figured you would chime in. LOL!

Yes the TSR Funnels for the Throttle Bodies are not in production. At least they were not when I bought mine and I had to search hard to ge them. For me the price was right as they were a proven set-up. Plus it was a lot easier than making/refitting the originals. They look great and fit amazingly well.

Next year I will get it o the dyno at some point. It will be interesting what it is running and see if it can be improved on as far as programing.

Hang in there and post up the new funnels when you get them.
I just got an email from the guy who makes the tsr funnels for the throttle bodies. He quoted me 560.00 usd for a set.
 
Had to look back to see if I could find the bill for them. I know I had to do a lot of searching for the set I got. Was told back then they stopped making them. Maybe they started to make them again. I think I paid less than that for mine. I am guessing @ $520 was my costs back then. Reason I could justify it was simple. My bike had less than 100 miles on it when I did this modification. I wanted to go with a tested and proven design. I did not want to install or guess as to what would work at the time. So for me I could justify the costs back then.

Would I do it again knowing what I know now? For me the answer is still Heck Yes! It works and it did the job for me.

I was very disappointed with the performance of this bike compared to my 86 VFR 750. For an 1100 I felt it was lacking. It needed something. It was screaming to be let loose you could say! Do not get me wrong. In stock form the CB1100 is a wonderful bike and does it all well. I just wanted more. A common problem for me. I have modified a few bikes in my life. Most were my experiments. Some went very bad and blew up! I just did not want this to happen the the CB1100. Thus for me the cost was justified and I am very impressed with the outcome.

My two cents on the cost.
 
Back
Top