age date on tires

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
At the rally we were trying to figure out how old a particular tire was on a members bike. Non of us standing there were absolutely sure how to check that. We knew tires were dated, but for some reason had no idea where it was (and couldn't find it) or knew exactly how to read it. So yesterday I went down to my local shop and talked to the head tech. There was a Honda PC 800 on the bench next to his, coincidentally, in for new tires, so we walked over to that bike and he showed me. There was a small oval on the side of the tire with a 4 digit code.

This one said 4709

He explained that that tire was manufactured in the 47th week of 2009 (no wonder it was in for tires, the tires on it were 11 years old). The first 2 digits indicate the week, and the last 2 digits are the year that the tire was made. Been like this since 2000 he said.

So if you wonder how old your tires are? Look for that 4 digit code inside a small oval imprinted in the tire.

It appears the new Pirelli Angel GT on the back of my CB is marked 5119 which means it was made in the 51st week of 2019, (or Dec 2019) so the tire is about 10 months old at this point. Well within the recommended 5 year time frame for tires.

2279b8d15e087b15aac8a884938841af.jpg
 
The date code of my PR3 front tire that showed the cracking is 1314 so it was made in early 2014. I had the tire installed less than two years ago. I bought the tire from RevZilla. I'm surprised they had such old stock.

Thanks for looking into it.
 
Thanks for the info ferret, but for a man of your experience and knowledge I'm surprised that you didn't know that years ago.
I've been keeping track of my tires and batteries that way since 1992.
Anyway, you're never too old to learn, and it just shows you that you can still teach an old dog new tricks :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Rocky I know right? But since I wear out tires in 6 months or less, there age has never been an issue with me lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rocky I know right? But since I wear out tires in 6 months or less, there age has never been an issue with me lol
Wow, six months!! Well, that certainly explains it :D :D
 
Thread starter
:rolleyes: geez I even replied to that thread. In my defense, that was 6 years ago. Memory isn't firing on all cylinders these days. I usually cant remember what day it is and no clue on date most days..number or month.

It's all " Sameday" to me.
 
You are not alone, Sēnor Ferret. I remembered it because I had cause to look it up recently.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Gosh... I still have the original tires on my 2014... and 7000 miles. I need to ride more... I know. Next year!!!!!!
Should be fine as long as there are no cracks in the tread wells and/or side walls. If the tire is going kinda funky, maybe like hard and waxy, maybe reassess its grip performance too.
 
rickcb_imp said:
The date code of my PR3 front tire that showed the cracking is 1314 so it was made in early 2014. I had the tire installed less than two years ago. I bought the tire from RevZilla. I'm surprised they had such old stock.

Thanks for looking into it.
I knew it. Thats the trouble with those pr3 tires nowadays. Youre buying old stock. Did you ever swap those shoes?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
The date code of my PR3 front tire that showed the cracking is 1314 so it was made in early 2014. I had the tire installed less than two years ago. I bought the tire from RevZilla. I'm surprised they had such old stock.

Thanks for looking into it.
I knew it. Thats the trouble with those pr3 tires nowadays. Youre buying old stock. Did you ever swap those shoes?
I knew it. Thats the trouble with those pr3 tires nowadays. Youre buying old stock. Did you ever swap those shoes?
I put another 250 miles on the bad one today. I'm waiting for the Angel GT back tire to be available. It was out of stock everywhere.
 
This is the reason that I buy my tires from a local dealer , you can check the date and refuse them when you think that they are too old , keeping in mind how many miles you will ride on that tire in a year.
 
In the UAE the law states that tires cannot be older than two years in order to pass the annual technical testing, so looking at the mfg date codes is something we do. Normally one could pass the test even if the tire is in its 3rd year, however it must be a fairly unused tire, otherwise - fail.
I just picked up a pair of Avon Roadriders to mount on my new CB1100, they are 2619 from the local Avon dealer, so should be fine for the next two registrations, they were also quite inexpensive, only just above 200$ for the pair.
I have had very good experience with Avon in the past having used Cobra Chrome tires on my MG California, so I thought "why not?"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
Yikes! Tires not older than two years? $200 for a pair of tires would have to be reasonable. The region must recycle (??) a lot of vehicle tires.
 
tod.branko_imp said:
In the UAE the law states that tires cannot be older than two years in order to pass the annual technical testing, so looking at the mfg date codes is something we do. Normally one could pass the test even if the tire is in its 3rd year, however it must be a fairly unused tire, otherwise - fail.
I just picked up a pair of Avon Roadriders to mount on my new CB1100, they are 2619 from the local Avon dealer, so should be fine for the next two registrations, they were also quite inexpensive, only just above 200$ for the pair.
I have had very good experience with Avon in the past having used Cobra Chrome tires on my MG California, so I thought "why not?"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I guess that would encourage people to ride their bikes more.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yikes! Tires not older than two years? $200 for a pair of tires would have to be reasonable. The region must recycle (??) a lot of vehicle tires.
Intersting observation, and yes, you are correct, tires are recycled quite a lot for asphalt manufacturing, but I also suspect a lot if older, fairly unused tires find their way to South Asia and West Africa where they are sold "as good as new"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top