Afternoon Appointment

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
"No. No, I can not."

That is my simple, sometimes terse, reply to the oft-stated assumption, "You own your own business; you can take off whenever you want to." The reality is that I have family, clients, staff, who count on me to be at work. Besides, I like what I do. Insurance is not a glamorous profession, but I get to help people with my knowledge and guidance. Not bad.

Running my own show, while not allowing me to just disappear, does allow me a little flexibility in my schedule. The forecast for Februaury 1 in Chicago was for mostly sunny skies with a high temperature of 45F. It rained the night before so the roads were a bit icy in the morning, but when I saw that the forecast was coming to fruition, the streets were drying out, and my immediate obligations to work were minimal, I made the executive decision to tell my staff "You guys keep working hard, I'm going for a ride. See ya." Well, actually I told them that I had an appointment at 2:00 and that I wouldn't make it back to the office by 5:00. I figured that was better than explaining that I have to ride in February in order to get to 24 consecutive riding months, that the weekend forecast looks bad for riding, that I'm going to be out of town the following weekend, blah, blah.

Got home, geared up, and on the bike by 2:30 (which, by the way, is the perfect time for a dental appointment). I rode a loop which I have described here many times--along the Skokie Lagoons, east to the Lake, north on Sheridan Rd. to IL176, west to St. Mary's Rd., and then back south toward home.

All the curvy sections of road, of which there are few, are shaded or low-lying and were still wet when I rode them. Slowly. I stopped at a few places to look out at Lake Michigan which is a different kind of beautiful in the winter months.

The return trip was not especially fun since the Monday evening rush hour had begun, but it was still better than being at work. Got home 62 miles later, 24 riding months completed, and with a core body temp slightly below 98.6. My "appointment" was very productive and, as it turned out, I had a real work appointment for dinner, so was able to punctuate the day with a martini and a prime rib sandwich. Not bad.

Sometimes, you just have to get a grip on your workday.
c1849aeb41a6d362eb0c0657e23d64ba.jpg


What a difference 7 months make.

LSD Group Ride, June 2015
ac49698b1db808499aff959c762c5866.jpg


February 1, 2016
2d5969cba4e852e24e72d11669528be8.jpg


------------
2cbdfa88acf9474b310b44181305bee7.jpg


4147090e8ebfb20ea538faffc9053a7c.jpg


dc8fa37b14d1236a169b24d149018d07.jpg
 
Very cool MTC. I too am in the insurance industry (commercial E&S specializing in construction, environmental and products liability) and have really flexible hours with the ability to work remotely anywhere and anytime. If you were local we would surely go riding together during business hours and pass it off as "business networking" or "client outting."
 
Nice! And way to sneak in that Feb ride!

Great pics. I like pics 1 and 4 best. I like how the grip, bar end and RLET frame the top of the unusual shot angle (going to try and shoot a few pics from that angle thanks for the idea) and on number 4 love the juxtaposition between the naked bike and the frozen "waterfall."
 
MTC, a charming report as always with some excellent pictures. From where I'm sitting as I write, that frozen waterfall is unimaginable.

By the way, fang you for reviving that ancient dental joke.
 
Congrats on extending your monthly riding record! Hard to believe that as far North as Chicago is that you continue to get lucky with your weather.

I also wanted to commend you on your picture taking while riding skills! Great pics!
 
Thread starter
Ron - I am not certain that I would describe as "lucky" the weather last year, when I did my February ride in 18F temps. However the roads were dry and the sun was out, so perhaps luck is in the eye of the beholder.

24 months is all that I can verify for certain. I actually believe that I rode once/month, every month, since May, 2012, but I cannot find any documentation that I rode in January, 2014 or January or February, 2013. If only I could be as diligent as The Ferret on matters such as these, but I am working on it.

Got my mobile photography skills from watching The Ferret at work documenting his rides.
 
The student becomes the teacher.

58 degrees here now. Headed out in a couple mins to meet my brother for lunch and I am going to try and duplicate the composition of that first shot Sea. That's a dandy angle.
 
:rofl: now that would be a trick
 
What kind of camera do you use? I guess, you must be able to operate the shutter with the left hand, to keep the right hand at the throttle?
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
What kind of camera do you use? I guess, you must be able to operate the shutter with the left hand, to keep the right hand at the throttle?
It's a point and shoot camera. I think this one is a Canon. My last one was a Sony, but it got a little damp on our trip to the Ozarks (yes, Cormanus, I know I owe a report on that trip). I just set it on auto-focus with no flash and just keep taking pictures. I think I took 45 or 50 shots for this 2 hour trip. Most were crap. Oh, and if the camera has an "action" mode. I use that. I keep the camera on a lanyard around my neck and slide it inside my jacket when i'm not using it. I am thinking of putting a piece of Velcro on the camera and on my jacket so that I can slap it on my chest for easier access (lanyard would still be around my neck). The cameras I have all shut off if not used for a bit, and turning it back on with gloved hands is sometimes tricky enough that I miss a shot or two.

I hope to get a GoPro (or equivilant) soon, but even if I do, I will still have my little point and shoot camera around my neck.
 
Thread starter
I like the last one the best, but it's a cool angle on all of them
Oh..by the way..just in case someone wondered...the the picture of my CB1100 with the arched opening in the background is not digitally tweaked except for cropping. I have no idea how the tank wound up looking that cool, almost purple, color. I suppose it was just the luck of the lighting there. I went to the "Infinite Number of Monkeys" school of photography. :)
 
What years were you there, EmptySea. Surely we must have met.
 
Thread starter
Well....I started there a little after digital photography came into the mainstream. I know it wasn't right away because there were a couple of years where I was as careful taking digital pictures as I had been with taking film pictures. For some reason, I just couldn't bring myself to just keep shooting. I have overcome that.
 
Back
Top