After 20+ years.....

Randy B

Road warrior
Thread starter
of riding it was bound to happen. On my way into work this morning in the dark on I680 tooting along at about 75mph in a mild uphill left hander I come upon a nicwe sized rock smack in the middle of the lane (well right in front of my path within the lane) and I hit it. Darn thing was only a tick wider than the tire....ugh. Well the handling got heavy, but the bike was tracking OK with no vibration so I kept on my way to work. I was getting close and there is a sharper right hander that felt REALLY heavy on the bars and I knew something was up. I get off at my exit and sure enough....my front tire was flat. I rode it almost 20 miles....flat. And the tire didn't really look any worse for wear.
At this point I am about 60 miles from home at the PEAK of the morning rush....ugh. A tow truck would have been $130 and hour to get me home. Fortunately there is a forum around here called BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum) and they do a roadside angels and will do their best to help stranded cyclists as best they can. I waited about 1.5 hours, but i got a ride home from a very nice young lady and I filled her tank before we left and after she got me home. I even had a tire in the garage to put on so I'm all good to go. :D
 
Must say I was a little concerned when I started reading. So glad it was only a flat tire. Count your blessings Randy, I know I am counting them for you.
 
Wow, glad you and the bike are ok. And glad you had a spare. I too have a spare set just for this kind of thing.
 
Geez, Randy - you could have started the post with "I'm ok, but here's what happened...." I thought it was going to end up like Stangeone78's recent post.

Hey man, glad it turned out ok for you, you're fine, no crash, etc. No damage to the rim - small miracle there as well.
 
What kinda hole did the rock put in the tire? If you had Slime and a way to inflate the tire would it have worked?
 
Glad you're OK, Randy. That pits had a much better ending than I expected.
 
Glad you and the CB are OK.......................
The last several years I've read, on different forums, about BARF. Always interesting and sometimes enlightening conversations.
This past week at COTA, there was a gentleman wearing a BARF t-shirt.
I was tempted to strike up a conversation with him but opted not to....
 
Back
Top