Africa Twin

shdwghst457_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Rumor has it that Honda might be reviving the Africa Twin, which never made it to the US officially. Anyone think it's likely we'll get it this time, after a 10+ year absence? I also read it might get a bigger engine than the previous 650 and 750 models. Something to compete with the BMW GS, I hope!



I've been eyeballing the GS for while but I do love my Hondas!
 
I'm puzzled that Honda has not engineered an all new bike to compete with the BMW GS. This is a huge market segment for BMW and sales of "adventure" bikes continue to be strong. A new V twin of 1000 to 1200cc in a light weight frame could be a big seller. Their Euro only Cross-Tourer is too heavy for any real off road duty at better than 600lbs. Get the weight down to that of the new V-strom but with better suspension and useful off road capability.
 
Honda makes an Adventure version of the VFR called the CrossTourer for EU and other markets; not sure why they didn't bring that here.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2012-honda-crosstourer/
According to the article, it's aimed at the GS buyer. The price is right for it!

"ADV" bikes are the hot market segment according to the journals. Honda's throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the market these days, and they have two bikes in the segment now; the NC700X and the CB500X. Both are really street bikes with high ground clearance.

Suzuki scooped the price-point ADV buyer with the new VStrom, not sure how Honda would position the Twin. Adventure bikes are cool; they have a great riding position for the most part, and can carry a cuss of gear. But I'm really digging the "sports-car" feel of the CB after 6 years on a VStrom 1000. Its much more fun for 90% of the riding I do.
 
Thread starter
Absolutely, it's a dream no matter what the 17 year old CBR1000000RRRRR riders have to say about it being slow and what not. It's just that I have a friend with a GS and it seems like it would be fun to go off roading; never tried it myself.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Rumor has it that Honda might be reviving the Africa Twin, which never made it to the US officially. Anyone think it's likely we'll get it this time, after a 10+ year absence? I also read it might get a bigger engine than the previous 650 and 750 models. Something to compete with the BMW GS, I hope!



I've been eyeballing the GS for while but I do love my Hondas!
Like this? :D
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Absolutely, it's a dream no matter what the 17 year old CBR1000000RRRRR riders have to say about it being slow and what not. It's just that I have a friend with a GS and it seems like it would be fun to go off roading; never tried it myself.
Not to worry, 98.7% of "GS" owners haven't either.
 
KTM's adventure bike has real off road capability and weighs about a hundred pounds less than the Honda Crosstourer. The Super Tenere is a good touring bike but is also heavy like the Honda. If Honda wants to truly succeed in this segment they need to work on weight management, fully adjustable suspension and big top loading panniers.
 
Inline4_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Rumor has it that Honda might be reviving the Africa Twin, which never made it to the US officially. Anyone think it's likely we'll get it this time, after a 10+ year absence? I also read it might get a bigger engine than the previous 650 and 750 models. Something to compete with the BMW GS, I hope!



I've been eyeballing the GS for while but I do love my Hondas!
Like this? :D


Like this? :D
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/z1zr7/media/2015-CRF1000-Africa-Twin_zps93364d72.jpg.html]
I believe that to be the CRF450 rally or something like that.
 
Thread starter
chrisross_imp said:
Inline4_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Rumor has it that Honda might be reviving the Africa Twin, which never made it to the US officially. Anyone think it's likely we'll get it this time, after a 10+ year absence? I also read it might get a bigger engine than the previous 650 and 750 models. Something to compete with the BMW GS, I hope!



I've been eyeballing the GS for while but I do love my Hondas!
Like this? :D


Like this? :D
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/z1zr7/media/2015-CRF1000-Africa-Twin_zps93364d72.jpg.html]
I believe that to be the CRF450 rally or something like that.

Which could potentially be the foundation for the new AT, according to an article I read. Somewhere in the 1000cc range. All speculation until it happens. I hope it looks more like the GS than that dirt bike, though.
 
redbirds_imp said:
KTM's adventure bike has real off road capability and weighs about a hundred pounds less than the Honda Crosstourer. The Super Tenere is a good touring bike but is also heavy like the Honda. If Honda wants to truly succeed in this segment they need to work on weight management, fully adjustable suspension and big top loading panniers.
But unlike the Honda it wears its weight low in the chassis and has real offroad capability.


A rally race Super Tenere prepped by Yamaha Italy. It has been very competitive in the class it races in:
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/YamahaSupertenereR_zpsb3bffabf.jpg.html]
 
Honda is such a tease! (The higher-ups probably run a strip-bar on the side!). The early, teaser photos make me consider trading the 1100 for the new Africa Twin. Blasphemy, I know!
Just wish I could own both! I absolutely LOVE my 2013 1100, but the temptation that Honda is "selling" has me itching where I can't afford to scratch. :rofl:
 
Thread starter
I'm looking forward to it. I want to keep up with my friend on his GS but I'd rather be on a Honda. $3k to go on paying off my CB and then I'll contemplate it! Never getting rid of the CB1100. Too perfect!
 
I believe the stats show a wet weight of 502 lbs which would be very close to the KTM I think. Honda needs to offer this bike with top quality top loading luggage to get the attention of potential ADV buyers.

One thing I really don't like are the tacky graphics.
 
Back
Top