ADVrider poll on classic motorcycles

Thread starter
What I think is interesting is that 7 of the 10 bikes are in an 8-12% range of being the preferred bike, the CB1100 has hovered between 9-10%. It would be interesting to see sales numbers for a one year period, say from now to this time next year, to see if actual sales show similar results.
There's also some photos of the new CB1000R on page 6 of the thread, posts 83,85...and then, while you're there scroll down to post 86 to see Ducati's 1100cc L-twin Scrambler...
 
There is a new retro on the block. Royal Enfield has announced, finally, their 650 twins. A retro standard and a café. :thumbsup:

I had worked with the US imported back at the start of the century. The talk then was of a coming twin. It seems it was not rushed into production.;)

Available this spring in India, probably will be a while before exporting begins.

Still glad I have my CB1100.
Jim

EICMA 2017: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Twin and Continental GT 650 Twin showcased - Overdrive
 
I've have/had three on the list, if the Bonneville counts:
The V7 II was a ultimate disappointment.
The 2012 Triumph Bonneville was a very good bike.
Sold it to cover doctor bills for middle daughter.
It was smooth, very good build quality.
Can't judge factory tune, as the dealer programmed it for an Arrow exhaust, but actually was a stock exhaust. No issues, hot or cold

But compare it to the CB1100:

2014 Honda CB1100
51 MPG
86 HP @ 7,500 RPM
66 ft # @ 5,700 RPM
540 #

2012 Triumph Bonneville
MSRP was $7,700, purchased for $7,000, circa June 2012
43/57 MPG
67 HP @ 7,500 RPM
50 ft # @ 5,800 RPM
495 #
 
Poor little XSR700, barely any votes. I borrowed one for the weekend and will report on it after I get a few miles on it. Planning a back to back ride with it and tge CB if the rain holds off this morning.
 
pdedse_imp said:
What I think is interesting is that 7 of the 10 bikes are in an 8-12% range of being the preferred bike, the CB1100 has hovered between 9-10%. It would be interesting to see sales numbers for a one year period, say from now to this time next year, to see if actual sales show similar results.
There's also some photos of the new CB1000R on page 6 of the thread, posts 83,85...and then, while you're there scroll down to post 86 to see Ducati's 1100cc L-twin Scrambler...
I think next year's the sales results would be the better comparison as well. Most of the Kawasaki responses seem to be people that like the look, but don't own one yet. When I worked in a motorcycle shop the sales people called them "Droolers". They didn't take them seriously until put their hard earned money down and actually bought the bike.

Odd they split the Triumph Bonneville models into three separate choices. Together they account for almost 30% of the preferred retro motorcycles.

After a 25 year hiatus from motorcycling, the Bonneville was what I was going to buy. To me it is what a motorcycle should look and sound like. But the $13,000 base sticker price gave me pause. When my biker buddies and I rode British bikes in the late 60s a Bonneville was $1300 out the door. It was the motorcycle that everyone wanted, until the Norton Commando showed up.

The final blow came when I joined the Triumph Forum. Complaints about poor brakes, stiff suspension, and balky fuel injection turned me off. Having owned three British motorcycles, I also know they have to be re-built every 10,000 miles - 16,000 kilometers. I wanted to ride not wrench, so I bought a Honda.

Having said all that, I still think the 2016 Bonneville is a beautiful looking motorcycle.
 
This is especially relevant for me as I will be ready to buy a new bike in a week or two.

My two requirements are that it have a slight forward lean and not cramp my legs too much. But I also want to not pay a premium price and I have a trade-in so dealing with a dealer would be nice, otherwise everything becomes more complex.

Honda 1100 EX - legs jammed up (knee angle too small). I don't think the dealers ordered so many that they need to drop the price to get rid of them. The price is holding firm so far.

Triumph T120 - although not thrilled with the 2 cylinder vibration I would get this now except the dealers are not discounting. The price is just too high.

Kawasaki Z900RS - it would be okay, probably, but without it being on cycle-ergo I won't know for sure until I sit on one. Price would also be very important. The Z900 ABS is about $8750 and if the RS came in anywhere near this price it would be very tempting. But how long before they are actually at the dealer?

Moto-Guzzi anything - the only dealer is too far away for me to be interested.

BMW R nine T - way too expensive to consider

Yamaha XSR 900 - the ride reports put me off. This thing is too wild!

Yamaha XSR 700 - not familiar with it, will investigate

Ducati anything - too expensive, unreliable

Triumph Thruxton 1200R - it is retro all right but retro Cafe and I'm not that fond of the Cafe style or mythos. Also, too expensive like the T120.

Triumph Street Twin - not familiar with it but being Triumph it is probably going to be overprice. Will investigate.

If a 2014 Deluxe came on the market in my area I would probably buy that but I've been monitoring the used sales on these for months without seeing one near here.
 
postoak_imp said:
This is especially relevant for me as I will be ready to buy a new bike in a week or two.

My two requirements are that it have a slight forward lean and not cramp my legs too much. But I also want to not pay a premium price and I have a trade-in so dealing with a dealer would be nice, otherwise everything becomes more complex.

Honda 1100 EX - legs jammed up (knee angle too small). I don't think the dealers ordered so many that they need to drop the price to get rid of them. The price is holding firm so far.

Triumph T120 - although not thrilled with the 2 cylinder vibration I would get this now except the dealers are not discounting. The price is just too high.

Kawasaki Z900RS - it would be okay, probably, but without it being on cycle-ergo I won't know for sure until I sit on one. Price would also be very important. The Z900 ABS is about $8750 and if the RS came in anywhere near this price it would be very tempting. But how long before they are actually at the dealer?

Moto-Guzzi anything - the only dealer is too far away for me to be interested.

BMW R nine T - way too expensive to consider

Yamaha XSR 900 - the ride reports put me off. This thing is too wild!

Yamaha XSR 700 - not familiar with it, will investigate

Ducati anything - too expensive, unreliable

Triumph Thruxton 1200R - it is retro all right but retro Cafe and I'm not that fond of the Cafe style or mythos. Also, too expensive like the T120.

Triumph Street Twin - not familiar with it but being Triumph it is probably going to be overprice. Will investigate.

If a 2014 Deluxe came on the market in my area I would probably buy that but I've been monitoring the used sales on these for months without seeing one near here.
The 2014 Deluxe and 2017 EX would have the same riding position.

If you are looking for a more relaxed position you might want to look at an adventure styled motorcycle. They have more leg room and a more straight up riding position.

The other alternative would be a second hand touring motorcycle. Fairing, comfortable seat, comfortable riding position, and luggage.
 
I already have a CB1100 and an older model Triumph Bonneville, but of all of them, I favour the T120 mainly because I like classic bikes.
 
Nortoon - I know the 2014 Deluxe would be the same. I'm reconciled to putting a higher seat and doing something with the pegs if I got one.
 
postoak_imp said:
Nortoon - I know the 2014 Deluxe would be the same. I'm reconciled to putting a higher seat and doing something with the pegs if I got one.
I have a taller seat on my 2013, helps a lot. I also tried adjustable pegs, but there isn't much adjustment to the rear brake pedal to compensate for the lower pegs. I'm pretty good with just the taller seat.

I work at a multi line dealer and borrowed one of our new XSR700s to see what I thought. I was shocked how similar the ergos are to my tall seat CB. The XSR900 is a bit more relaxed, taller seat to pegs. I need to look them up on cycle ergos.

I can't wait to ride the Z900RS. The regular Z900 has a low seat and tight ergos.

Postoak, if you are in the Austin area, come by Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown and ask for Aaron. As long as you've got your M endorsement (I figure you do), you can ride this XSR700.
 
postoak_imp said:
Nortoon - I know the 2014 Deluxe would be the same. I'm reconciled to putting a higher seat and doing something with the pegs if I got one.
I am 6'2" tall and considering the same thing. But the tall seats are expensive. The Ferret's idea of taking an Asspirin before setting out works and is much cheaper.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Nortoon - I know the 2014 Deluxe would be the same. I'm reconciled to putting a higher seat and doing something with the pegs if I got one.
I am 6'2" tall and considering the same thing. But the tall seats are expensive. The Ferret's idea of taking an Asspirin before setting out works and is much cheaper.
I am 6'2" tall and considering the same thing. But the tall seats are expensive. The Ferret's idea of taking an Asspirin before setting out works and is much cheaper.
2" kneeling pad strapped to your seat, $12-15
plus the two aspirin
 
6'6", 36" inseam here. I don't find my DLX to be cramped or uncomfortable at all, though I limit my rides to 300-400 miles/day and wouldn't want to take it cross country. I guess we're all built a bit differently.
 
When I get numb bum or a cramp in my hip, I stand on the foot pegs on the next straight section of road. Stretching usually relieves the pain quickly. Not recommended in traffic, because the driver behind you might think you are mooning them.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
When I get numb bum or a cramp in my hip, I stand on the foot pegs on the next straight section of road. Stretching usually relieves the pain quickly. Not recommended in traffic, because the driver behind you might think you are mooning them.
I think you are supposed to wear some sort of pants beneath your leather chaps...:P
 
Thread starter
dbarkdoll_imp said:
Is the Z900 even for sale yet? How could so many people have an opinion about a bike that no one has even rode yet.....
That's why it has more votes than the others... : )
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I've have/had three on the list, if the Bonneville counts:
The V7 II was a ultimate disappointment.
The 2012 Triumph Bonneville was a very good bike.
Sold it to cover doctor bills for middle daughter.
It was smooth, very good build quality.
Can't judge factory tune, as the dealer programmed it for an Arrow exhaust, but actually was a stock exhaust. No issues, hot or cold

But compare it to the CB1100:

2014 Honda CB1100
51 MPG
86 HP @ 7,500 RPM
66 ft # @ 5,700 RPM
540 #

2012 Triumph Bonneville
MSRP was $7,700, purchased for $7,000, circa June 2012
43/57 MPG
67 HP @ 7,500 RPM
50 ft # @ 5,800 RPM
495 #
Wait a minute....waaaaiiiittt a minute, this is interesting. I thought you really liked the V7II?? At least that's what you posted over on Wild Guzzi? I thought the only reason you got rid of that that bike is some owners of the dealer you purchased from made you upset because they asked you to get out of their parking spot and treated you rudely in your mind?

Do tell....what made the V7II "the ultimate disappointment" now...
 
Back
Top