Actual Oil Capacity of the CB1100???

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The manual claims the CB1100 require 4.9 liters of oil. That comes out to 5.177 quarts, which is obviously wrong.

There was another thread asking about this, but I never found the answer to the question, and it was an old thread. So I'm reasking the question.

What is the actual oil capacity of the CB1100?

I prepared my 5.177 quarts of oil. I removed the filter and drained the old oil.

When I went to refill, after putting in the first 4 quarts, the oil glass was completely full, all the way to the top. In other words, it was over full.

I didn't add the remaining 1.177 quarts of oil, but I saved it as I thought that after running the motor for a while, it might suck up the extra oil... It did not.

A week after the oil change and now I have oil seeping from around the fill cap.

Then I remembered. The same thing happened last year after I had the oil changed at the Honda dealership. Even the dealership doesn't know how much oil this thing takes!

At the time I thought I had a faulty fill cap gasket, so I ordered a new one, removed some of the excess oil with a large gauge straw, and that seemed to fix the problem.

A year later and with a fresh oil change, now the gasket is leaking again.

I'm 99% certain that the fill capacity of 4.9 liters is a typo. Even 3.9 liters would be 4.12 quarts, and my bike is over full with 4 quarts.

My best guess is that they meant to write 3.9 quarts, but accidentally typed 4.9 instead of 3.9, and then compounded the problem by writing liters instead of quarts.

I'm going to try and remove about 0.1 quarts using a Boba/Slurpee straw, and see if I can line it up in the sight glass.

I'll post back later after I get the sight glass lined up.
 
You are mis-reading the manual. My 2013 owner's manual on page 122 says, "After draining . . . 4.0 US qt (3.8 liters)"
Think you may have got the liters and quarts backwards.
 
Covered many times, but—
From the service manual: After draining—3.8L (4 US qts, 3.3 Imp qt)

After draining/filter change: 3.9L (4.1 US qt, 3.4 Imp qt)

After disassembly: 4.9L (5.2 US qt, 4.3 Imp qt)
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Covered many times, but—
From the service manual: After draining—3.8L (4 US qts, 3.3 Imp qt)

After draining/filter change: 3.9L (4.1 US qt, 3.4 Imp qt)

After disassembly: 4.9L (5.2 US qt, 4.3 Imp qt)
Ok, but when I changed the filter and drained the oil, 4 quarts still completely fills the sight glass.

Are you folks doing anything special to drain out any extra oil from the cooler?

I just removed the filter and drain plug and let it drain for 15 minutes.

4 quarts is more than she needs...

I would be surprised if it takes more than 3.9 quarts, even when changing the filter.

Fwiw, the 4.9 liter figure I found was for the older 80s CB1100. Details, details!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
(*sigh*) Never measured the oil into the CB, just used the looking glass during the last half liter/quart of whatever oil.
+1
+1

That is the most accurate way to measure the oil level in your bike, because actual capacity doesn't matter, it's the height in the engine that the oil sits at, so that the oil pickup is continuously covered, but the oil level is low enough so that the spinning crankshaft and various parts aren't smacking into the surface of the oil and creating excess friction and foam.

The only other way to actually calculate the actual capacity is to take a completely dry engine, then fill the pan and oil passageways, and to ensure the oil level is at a 100% efficient level, which, lo and behold, we can see in the ranged oil sight glass of the bike.

Just use the service manual spec as a general guide, and add/subtract volume to your preference.
 
Leaving an undrained cup or two of old oil in a sea of fresh crankcase oil is not going to have an impact on a civilian motorcycle that gets routine care and maintenance.
 
GoldOxide's approach works for me.
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Covered many times, but—
From the service manual: After draining—3.8L (4 US qts, 3.3 Imp qt)

After draining/filter change: 3.9L (4.1 US qt, 3.4 Imp qt)

After disassembly: 4.9L (5.2 US qt, 4.3 Imp qt)
Ok, but when I changed the filter and drained the oil, 4 quarts still completely fills the sight glass.

Are you folks doing anything special to drain out any extra oil from the cooler?

I just removed the filter and drain plug and let it drain for 15 minutes.

4 quarts is more than she needs...

I would be surprised if it takes more than 3.9 quarts, even when changing the filter.

Fwiw, the 4.9 liter figure I found was for the older 80s CB1100. Details, details!
Fwiw, the 4.9 liter figure I found was for the older 80s CB1100. Details, details! Ah, I was wondering where you got that. An easy mistake to make. Don't obsess on it. There are more important things to spend your time on. Ride your bike and have some fun. :beerchug: :biker:
 
My experience is that owners manuals often list the oil amount for changing as a little too much, maybe because some oil remains or whatever. And some bikes don't like their oil level above 1/2 way up the glass or dipstick, or it blows into the airbox.
When I changed the oil and filter in mine a couple months ago (it was the first time), after letting it drain for almost an hour I installed the drain plug (just finger tight) and leaned the bike over to the right for a minute or two, then back on the stand. When I pulled the plug again probably 6 ounces more came out.
I added 3 qts then slowly added from the 4th qt while watching the glass and at 1/2 of that qt the level was about 3/4 up the glass so perfect at that point, but the filter probably wasn't filled. After letting it idle for a minute then settle for another minute the level had dropped slightly to 1/2 on the glass so still good, but I added 1/2 of the remaining half qt which took it to just under the top of the glass. So 3 3/4 qt after a pretty complete drain and new filter is what mine took.
 
Bike had a fresh oil change when I got it, so probably will not change until late summer. The one bugaboo on this bike is the oil level window...difficult for me to see that tiny window. Wonder if there's a way to fashion some type of dipstick...?
 
Thread starter
Ollie_imp said:
My experience is that owners manuals often list the oil amount for changing as a little too much, maybe because some oil remains or whatever. And some bikes don't like their oil level above 1/2 way up the glass or dipstick, or it blows into the airbox.
When I changed the oil and filter in mine a couple months ago (it was the first time), after letting it drain for almost an hour I installed the drain plug (just finger tight) and leaned the bike over to the right for a minute or two, then back on the stand. When I pulled the plug again probably 6 ounces more came out.
I added 3 qts then slowly added from the 4th qt while watching the glass and at 1/2 of that qt the level was about 3/4 up the glass so perfect at that point, but the filter probably wasn't filled. After letting it idle for a minute then settle for another minute the level had dropped slightly to 1/2 on the glass so still good, but I added 1/2 of the remaining half qt which took it to just under the top of the glass. So 3 3/4 qt after a pretty complete drain and new filter is what mine took.
This is great information and jibes with my experience. Thanks for posting!
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Bike had a fresh oil change when I got it, so probably will not change until late summer. The one bugaboo on this bike is the oil level window...difficult for me to see that tiny window. Wonder if there's a way to fashion some type of dipstick...?
Agreed that a dipstick is easier to read. I don't think a dipstick would work because there are metal parts inside the crank case that inhibit the ability of anything to pass straight into the oil... I discovered this trying to remove the excess oil with a straw!
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Bike had a fresh oil change when I got it, so probably will not change until late summer. The one bugaboo on this bike is the oil level window...difficult for me to see that tiny window. Wonder if there's a way to fashion some type of dipstick...?
No kidding! Most of the time, I actually have to lie down on the floor to look at mine and I need a strong flashlight to see it when my bike is in the garage. I am sure if I looked at it outside my neighbors would call an ambulance thinking I'd fallen down again.
 
Every oil change I did with my 2013 took exactly 4 qts of Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40 and a new Honda filter. Valves were always good and transmission shifted smoother with the change to Rotella from Honda oil I used at initial oil change.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Every oil change I did with my 2013 took exactly 4 qts of Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40 and a new Honda filter. Valves were always good and transmission shifted smoother with the change to Rotella from Honda oil I used at initial oil change.
I also found the CB liked the 5W40 Rotella T6 too. Never an issue, gearbox loved it.
 
Back
Top