Action Cameras!

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Fancy buying one, not sure what to get.

Some say the GoPros are over rated and I've seen YouTube comparisons with Sony AS100V and the Sony looks to have better colours.

The GoPro has more goodies and mounting options however, and is the cool name in this market.

I also looked at the JVC Addixxion GC-XA2 which is waterproof without a case and seems to take good footage.

Have you guys got any experience with any of these?
 
If you want to mount it somewhere (helmet, bike, dog....) and it needs to take what you give out (shock, water, slobber....) GoPro is the way to go. The Gold Standard.

Other cameras can take better pictures, but they will never survive and mounting it will be a kludge.

I'm saving my pennies for one. :) (I tend to use DSLR's)
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
If you want to mount it somewhere (helmet, bike, dog....) and it needs to take what you give out (shock, water, slobber....) GoPro is the way to go. The Gold Standard.

Other cameras can take better pictures, but they will never survive and mounting it will be a kludge.

I'm saving my pennies for one. :) (I tend to use DSLR's)
Dog cam! No there's a novel idea! :thumbsup:
 
I'm on my second GoPro (first one was a Hero2) and I have no complaints. I use it for lots of things besides action sports. Mostly time lapses and attaching it to objects you normally couldn't but a camera on. They're really well built and easy to use.
 
Thread starter
Joola_imp said:
I'm on my second GoPro (first one was a Hero2) and I have no complaints. I use it for lots of things besides action sports. Mostly time lapses and attaching it to objects you normally couldn't but a camera on. They're really well built and easy to use.
Do you mind me asking which version you have now?

I am looking at the Hero 3+ Black Edition.
 
Be aware it appears a new model is coming in next few months. I'm also thinking of getting one.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
Be aware it appears a new model is coming in next few months. I'm also thinking of getting one.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks very much Elipten, my frantic Googling just uncovered the same fact.

I'd probably still buy the 3+ Black, but expect a healthy discount as they clear old stock.

That is unless the new one is AMAZING or something, I think it just has a faster processor and can shoot 4k at 30fps rather than 15fps.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Joola_imp said:
I'm on my second GoPro (first one was a Hero2) and I have no complaints. I use it for lots of things besides action sports. Mostly time lapses and attaching it to objects you normally couldn't but a camera on. They're really well built and easy to use.
Do you mind me asking which version you have now?

I am looking at the Hero 3+ Black Edition.
I have the Hero 3+ Silver. I am not interested in shooting 4K (at this time) and don't really shoot in anything higher than 1080 30fps.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
If you want to mount it somewhere (helmet, bike, dog....) and it needs to take what you give out (shock, water, slobber....) GoPro is the way to go. The Gold Standard.

Other cameras can take better pictures, but they will never survive and mounting it will be a kludge.

I'm saving my pennies for one. :) (I tend to use DSLR's)
Dog cam! No there's a novel idea! :thumbsup:
Dog cam! No there's a novel idea! :thumbsup:
I attached my gopro to my dog collar. It was very cool and funny. Playing frisbee, eating, sniffing, fighting(playing)...Gopro survived all the abuse I threw at it.
 
Thread starter
avsbezzy_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
If you want to mount it somewhere (helmet, bike, dog....) and it needs to take what you give out (shock, water, slobber....) GoPro is the way to go. The Gold Standard.

Other cameras can take better pictures, but they will never survive and mounting it will be a kludge.

I'm saving my pennies for one. :) (I tend to use DSLR's)
Dog cam! No there's a novel idea! :thumbsup:
Dog cam! No there's a novel idea! :thumbsup:
I attached my gopro to my dog collar. It was very cool and funny. Playing frisbee, eating, sniffing, fighting(playing)...Gopro survived all the abuse I threw at it.
Dog cam! No there's a novel idea! :thumbsup:
I attached my gopro to my dog collar. It was very cool and funny. Playing frisbee, eating, sniffing, fighting(playing)...Gopro survived all the abuse I threw at it.
Awesome, what about the footage from the dog? :D
The Spaceman_imp said:
I can't wait for

Tortuga's All-Nude Celebrity CBs Volume 1!j

I'm going to collect the whole set.

Which will complement the pilot series you got from me on 'Special Order' last month...:shy:
 
I bought the Sony AS100 over the GoPro Black Hero3 and have found it to have a very good range of mounting options. My understanding is both camera systems have their positives and negatives but for me the Sony ticked more boxes. The handlebar mount they supply fits the indictor stalk and allows the camera to be tucked out of the way yet still take good still pictures on the move; it is splashproof without the case and seems quite a robust little unit and the WiFi makes it easy to use whilst on the move. I tried it off road in/on my 4x4 and found it performed very well. The following review is worth watching. http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/4/13/the-epic-sony-as100v-action-camera-review.html
 
Thread starter
Tyke57nz_imp said:
I bought the Sony AS100 over the GoPro Black Hero3 and have found it to have a very good range of mounting options. My understanding is both camera systems have their positives and negatives but for me the Sony ticked more boxes. The handlebar mount they supply fits the indictor stalk and allows the camera to be tucked out of the way yet still take good still pictures on the move; it is splashproof without the case and seems quite a robust little unit and the WiFi makes it easy to use whilst on the move. I tried it off road in/on my 4x4 and found it performed very well. The following review is worth watching. http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/4/13/the-epic-sony-as100v-action-camera-review.html
Thanks mate, I'll check it out. I too favoured the Sony for image quality.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok. Now I'm confused. Which is the bestest? :exclamation:
Mate, if you're making videos for the Spaceman, you'll have to have a GoPro just on name alone.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Ok. Now I'm confused. Which is the bestest? :exclamation:
Mate, if you're making videos for the Spaceman, you'll have to have a GoPro just on name alone.
Mate, if you're making videos for the Spaceman, you'll have to have a GoPro just on name alone.
Lol. Do they not do a GoPerv then?

:D
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Tyke57nz_imp said:
I bought the Sony AS100 over the GoPro Black Hero3 and have found it to have a very good range of mounting options. My understanding is both camera systems have their positives and negatives but for me the Sony ticked more boxes. The handlebar mount they supply fits the indictor stalk and allows the camera to be tucked out of the way yet still take good still pictures on the move; it is splashproof without the case and seems quite a robust little unit and the WiFi makes it easy to use whilst on the move. I tried it off road in/on my 4x4 and found it performed very well. The following review is worth watching. http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/4/13/the-epic-sony-as100v-action-camera-review.html
Thanks mate, I'll check it out. I too favoured the Sony for image quality.
Thanks mate, I'll check it out. I too favoured the Sony for image quality.
As fitted
This position might change but seems to work OK at the moment.
 
Tyke57nz, have seen your photos in the "...on the road" thread. Impressive. Tell me, the mount, is it a clip the camera on/off if you want to point elsewhere?

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Tyke57nz, have seen your photos in the "...on the road" thread. Impressive. Tell me, the mount, is it a clip the camera on/off if you want to point elsewhere?

Cheers
Case opens at front by way of yellow catch which allows you to remove camera, mounting bracket is adjustable by a spring loaded catch. See the link I posted on the camera as it is well worth watching in my opinion. I can take some photos of case and camera seperately tomorrow, let me know if you would like that or I could send directly to your email. Camera can be mounted directly to bracket as it is advertised as splashproof but I like the extra protection against bug splatter and the fact I can have a cable tie through the case onto the forkleg as a back up if the unit came loose.
 
Back
Top